We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2015  (Read 61096 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Cyclamen 2015
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »
That's our problem - we have no ants ( no idea why) and the BD clearly does not work as hard as the ants would.....  :-X

;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2015, 05:37:45 AM »
A bunch of Cyclamen alpinum f. leucanthum seedlings :)
I have to transplant them into indvidual pots this summer.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

SJW

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
A bunch of Cyclamen alpinum f. leucanthum seedlings :)
I have to transplant them into indvidual pots this summer.

Lovely, Tatsuo, and not much roguing out to do. :) How old are the seedlings?
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
Cyclamen parviflorum

Cyclamen alpinum

Cyclamen pseudibericum ssp roseum
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »
Superbly grown Tony.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2015, 01:38:23 PM »
Having been released today from exercising my skills (or lack of them!) as a bathroom tiler I was allowed to be in the garden today (first time for a week-I'm a very slow tiler) here's a selection of those in flower now.

Cyclamen libanoticum, from seed sown October 2009 (SRGC 08/9-1057)
C. coum ex Nymans Group from my friend Mike Quest
and from the garden a nice patch of C. coum
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
some more:-

Cyclamen pseudibericum from seed sown October 2009 (SRGC 08/9-1065)
Cyclamen alpinum a darker form than I've posted before. Shows the lack of light in my greenhouse when compared with Tony Willis's plant earlier in the week
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
David that's an unusual looking C. libanoticum. The flower looks like a cross with C.cyprium - the leaves look more like pseudo-ibericum.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
Mmm, thanks for that Mark. Let's see if any of the others comment on that one, as I said it was from seed.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

SJW

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »
David that's an unusual looking C. libanoticum. The flower looks like a cross with C.cyprium - the leaves look more like pseudo-ibericum.

Yes, I was thinking C. cyprium. David - do the flowers have a sweetish scent or is it more peppery/spicier/musty?

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
It's not cyprium but it might be Cyclamen x wellensiek which is cyprium x libanoticum. I've found it really hard to find an imgage - this may or may not be it

http://mirabile.blog101.fc2.com/blog-category-23.html

does look very similar and curiously to me the leaves look like pseudo-ibericum on this one too.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

SJW

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »
... Let's see if any of the others comment on that one, as I said it was from seed.

Happens to us all, David. Here's an example. I wouldn't mind but it was from my own seed! ;D

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2015, 03:52:30 AM »
David and Steve , both your C. libanoticum  look very much like my C. x wellensiekii  , the cross between libanoticum and cyprium .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Well. Thanks to Mark for originally starting this and to Steve and Otto for your contributions.

I went into the greenhouse yesterday to check if my Cyclamen NOTlibanoticum had a scent and couldn't discern one at all. The other member of the household usually excels in the olfactorial department (at least she does when I have a crafty fag behind the garage!) but she couldn't get a scent at all.  I tested her on a C. pseudibericum which I couldn't smell at all but she found a hint of a scent.

I've read the description (and looked at the photograph) of C x wellensiekii in Grey-Wilson and it does look very similar to my plant in all respects but he  describes the scent as a mild form of C libanoticum ("but the hybrid has not inherited the sweeter perfume of C pseudibericum")

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2015, 02:10:20 PM »
Well. Thanks to Mark for originally starting this and to Steve and Otto for your contributions.

I went into the greenhouse yesterday to check if my Cyclamen NOTlibanoticum had a scent and couldn't discern one at all. The other member of the household usually excels in the olfactorial department (at least she does when I have a crafty fag behind the garage!) but she couldn't get a scent at all.  I tested her on a C. pseudibericum which I couldn't smell at all but she found a hint of a scent.

I've read the description (and looked at the photograph) of C x wellensiekii in Grey-Wilson and it does look very similar to my plant in all respects but he  describes the scent as a mild form of C libanoticum ("but the hybrid has not inherited the sweeter perfume of C pseudibericum")

Looks like x wellensiekii to me too I posted a picture recently here

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11254.msg291037#msg291037
you can see cyprium in the leaves and libanoticum in the flowers
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal