We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2015  (Read 61112 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2015
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Good question, Graeme- I rather think not - a recent event there was free only once entry had been gained to Wisley.
 For the Alpine "open Day" tomorrow, - where you can learn more about the Joint Rock Garden Committee,  the event is free but entry to the garden must be paid, or via an RHS membership.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/plantsmanship/plant-society-events

I think that applies to most events there and I'm not sure that the Cyclamen Society shows there are only open to Cyclamen Society members and not the general public. I hope that's wrongbut   I think I remember this being given as a reason not to advertise  such events more widely.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:15:14 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »
Yes, the impression I get is that the admission fee to the gardens at RHS Wisley must be paid by all. However, the Cyclamen Society show is free and open to all to view (members and public alike). The RHS publicise it on their webpage, albeit in an obscure location (https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/plantsmanship/plant-society-events) and rather cheekily tried to promote it on their FB page as 'their' show!

I think other societies have found this admission charging policy a bit of a bind and are looking at other venues. It's a lot to pay if your tied up in a show all day and don't actually get a chance to view the gardens you've paid to get into? Shame Members can't get in for free considering their shows provide an added level of interest to fee paying members of the public. Guess I'm just too good-spirited when it comes to these things. Hey-ho.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Graeme

« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »
It says RHS affiliated societies 1 free visit per year?
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »
Access to the RHS gardens at Wisley for Cyclamen Society members attending a show has already been correctly described, that is Society members who are not RHS members have to pay to access the garden then they, with any other garden visitors,  get free access to the Cyclamen Show. The only exception has been  for those Cyclamen Society members who are there to set up the show. The subject of the once a year free access for members of the Cyclamen Society has recently been discussed by the Society, a decision has to be made in advance about which show would be considered for free access then the society has to apply to the RHS, I think the free access is limited to up to 50 none RHS members. It is likely that the Society will consider making an application for the show to be held in October 2016, that way details can be given to any members interested via the June journal

Graeme

« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
thanks Melvyn - I have let our RHS membership lapse this year as we have not visited Wisley for about 10 years

Roma

« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium in the garden
Cyclamen hederifolium in a pot
Cyclamen mirabile 2 pics.  They are not flowering well this year
Cyclamen cilicium 'Bowles var.'  Most of the literature says it is not known what was different about this form but I read recently (can't remember where ) that it is white with a pink nose so this would fit the description.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Graeme

« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
'It says RHS affiliated societies 1 free visit per year?'

I did e-mail the RHS at Wisley for clarification of the item on their website - as there is no list of affiliated societies

I have received a very rude and frankly laughable reply "Under the Data Protection Act and RHS protocol we do not give out information."
So why even mention it on their website and ** it - and then not be able to provide a list of affiliated societies - why is it so secret.............
I certainly won't be renewing my RHS membership - and I won't be going to the Cyclamen Show at Wisley - to be honest the way I feel at the moment I will be pulling out of the Cyclamen Society as well

If I ever meet Susie Corr from the RHS I will remind her that the quality of the e-mail you send out reflects on the organisation you work for

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #367 on: October 01, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
Nice plants Roma. You are right that Bowles is supposed to be white with a pink nose. It was described as such in the Archibald seed list but as far as I can remember it came up like normal cilicium.

I've just flowered seedlings from the Cyclamen society and again they are normal cilicium. The cilicium Erna Frank similarly is indistinguishable from normal cilicium.

Here are some intaminatum. I released some seedlings into a trough decades ago (the only other occupant is a Daphne arbuscula I grew from a cutting over 40 years ago) and they do look good. I'm trying sed taken from it as I've lost the plants in pots.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #368 on: October 01, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
That is really super, Mark.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #369 on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »

.................I have received a very rude and frankly laughable reply "Under the Data Protection Act and RHS protocol we do not give out information."............................

Perhaps the RHS has been tarred with the same brush as the AGS? :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Graeme

« Reply #370 on: October 01, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
Perhaps the RHS has been tarred with the same brush as the AGS? :P
not brushed the AGS recently but I suspect you might be right :(

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2015, 01:23:46 AM »

I certainly won't be renewing my RHS membership -

If I ever meet Susie Corr from the RHS I will remind her that the quality of the e-mail you send out reflects on the organisation you work for
Hi Graeme,
A lot of us in Australia dropped out of the RHS when they decided not to bother sending seed here due to the quarantine restrictions! Somehow all the other Seedexes cope!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

SJW

« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
...I certainly won't be renewing my RHS membership - and I won't be going to the Cyclamen Show at Wisley - to be honest the way I feel at the moment I will be pulling out of the Cyclamen Society as well...

I agree with all the previous comments that CS members having to pay a garden entrance fee to visit their own show is really annoying - I've posted on the forum in the past about this. But to be fair to the Cyclamen Society, it's the RHS which introduced this policy (it used to be free to enter for CS members on show day). Compare with the Cyclamen Society AGM and show held at the Birmingham Botanic Gardens last week where there was free entry on production of a CS membership card. In fact I don't think this is even a national RHS policy, it's just for Wisley. Presumably, as the HQ hosts many affiliated society events, the management felt that it was lost income to continue to allow free entry? I know that for this year's AGS North Show at RHS Harlow Carr there's free entry to the Gardens for AGS members on show day.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
I am a regular exhibitor at the cs shows at Wisley as I will be next week. After I have driven into the gardens and unloaded I have to return my car to the main car park by nine o clock I then re enter by the back gate. However should I wish to leave the gardens say for a pub lunch I have to pay to come back in. How ridiculous is that. Personally I hate the place and only go to meet up with fellow members and exhibitors.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Graeme

« Reply #374 on: October 02, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
I agree with all the previous comments that CS members having to pay a garden entrance fee to visit their own show is really annoying - I've posted on the forum in the past about this. But to be fair to the Cyclamen Society, it's the RHS which introduced this policy (it used to be free to enter for CS members on show day). Compare with the Cyclamen Society AGM and show held at the Birmingham Botanic Gardens last week where there was free entry on production of a CS membership card. In fact I don't think this is even a national RHS policy, it's just for Wisley. Presumably, as the HQ hosts many affiliated society events, the management felt that it was lost income to continue to allow free entry? I know that for this year's AGS North Show at RHS Harlow Carr there's free entry to the Gardens for AGS members on show day.
I had not seen it discussed before - but to me it seems a bit of a liberty - we used to be RHS members but to be honest for the last 10 years we have paid them and never been anywhere near any of their gardens or shows.  Its a good job I know now before travelling 3-4 hours to get there next Sunday.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal