We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2015  (Read 60102 times)

Graeme

Re: Cyclamen 2015
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
I am a regular exhibitor at the cs shows at Wisley as I will be next week. After I have driven into the gardens and unloaded I have to return my car to the main car park by nine o clock I then re enter by the back gate. However should I wish to leave the gardens say for a pub lunch I have to pay to come back in. How ridiculous is that. Personally I hate the place and only go to meet up with fellow members and exhibitors.
thanks Pat - to be honest it would have been the first Cyclamen Society Show I had been able to visit and I was really looking forward to it - if they don't want members who pay their subs there then so be it
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
Thats a shame graeme it would have been nice to see you there. The actual show is always good and the plants for sale are really interesting. Unfortunately the society has no control over the rhs and we have to abide by their rules.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
hi, not sure this is the right place to post - if not I'm sure Maggi will move it.

I've just found I've got vine weevil - I have lost most of my C.mirabile Tilebarn Nicholas seedlings and have found the grubs.

I did treat everything with Provado Vine Weevil killer about a month ago - I may have missed some pots.

The makers say it lasts 4-5 months - does that mean you can't treat more regularly?

Just realised there are other products - Bug Clear Ultra Vine weevil is acetamiprid and Provado is thiacloprid so maybe you can alternate between the two?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:03:00 PM by Mark Griffiths »
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Graeme

« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2015, 05:58:32 PM »
Thats a shame graeme it would have been nice to see you there. The actual show is always good and the plants for sale are really interesting. Unfortunately the society has no control over the rhs and we have to abide by their rules.
its a pity as I get so few days off work and I had left that day open for us to go to that show - I will probably just go to Ashwood which is closer - but I won't get the range of plants to buy.  I need to consider if I continue with the CS as there seems little point if I cannot go to their show without being a RHS member.  It would also appear that this is only an issue at Wisley not other RHS gardens?
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »
I really hope that the cs show committee and the rhs read your comments because I am sure you are not alone. I believe as you do that if you are a member of a society you should be able to attend the shows for free wherever they are held
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »
Cyclamen season has just arrived here :) A range of seedlings from a seed pkt labelled as "Cyclamen hederifolium, silver leaf, dark purple flower". They look not so 'dark' but I like the purple blushed one best.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:06:33 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
been here for a while......

I will probably just go to Ashwood which is closer - but I won't get the range of plants to buy.

Catch one of staff there then ask for what available.....they sometime let me in the greenhouse where is normally not open for public in order to find what I want - just ask!

By the way, it's interesting for me to read about CS/RHS subject......I don't drive in the UK so I use public transports to get to Wisley. I am a member both RHS/CS so I don't mind paying at the entrance or not - I normally arrive at Wisley at 8:50, wait for another 10mins to open then go to the venue at around 9:00 but there's always many people already! (How come? ??? ??? ???)

My problem is that all good plants are sold to them who came earlier and I only can buy leftovers...... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Yet I like the show so I'm looking forward to it next weekend.
Contains 10% urea

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »
 The people that are already there when you arrive Naoto are those who help to set up the show. There are always a good number of Society members prepared to get there early to help. Hope you have an enjoyable time on Sunday.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2015, 09:10:44 AM »
Wide variation there and some nice plants Tatsuo, if not quite what you hoped for :)
The 'purple' one in your last picture is curious because it (almost?) lacks auricles.  Maybe these will become more obvious as the flower develops further. 
For now it looks more like C. purpurascens to me, but time (& foliage) will tell.  Although here this species has leaves throughout the summer it might behave differently in your climate.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #384 on: October 04, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »
Looking at the postings here it seems that I am about 4 weeks behind in flowering for my pot grown cyclamens.

The plants outdoors started about 3 weeks ago and apart from a few large plants in pots , all I have are the beginnings of growth.  Another problem is that all the labels have vanished and most of my collection has been from seedlings found in other pots containing orchids, lilies etc, so their origin cannot be established.

One thing I have noticed is that I have a large amount of white hederifoliums both outside and coming up in the pots.

Pictures attached show one large soup-plate sized hed. corm in flower and a few plants growing at the foot of my corkscrew hazel tree.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #385 on: October 04, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Melvyn - I'll try not to think about it too much and just enjoy the show! ;)

By the way, two things; Firstly, I've been raising hederifolium "Bowles Apollo" seedings which I bought from CS couple of years ago, now I need second opinions from you experts.....Do you think I may call this "Bowles Apollo (Group)"?" (the first picture)

Secondly - I assume some people who went to the open day at Wisley last week, also saw this hederifolium (the second picture) in the venue - the colour was so dark - almost black! I'd never seen this dark hederifolium before.....I just wanted to share this picture with those who didn't go.

Contains 10% urea

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #386 on: October 04, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
Wide variation there and some nice plants Tatsuo, if not quite what you hoped for :)
The 'purple' one in your last picture is curious because it (almost?) lacks auricles.  Maybe these will become more obvious as the flower develops further. 
For now it looks more like C. purpurascens to me, but time (& foliage) will tell.  Although here this species has leaves throughout the summer it might behave differently in your climate.
Thank you, Ashley :) I'll keep my eyes on the plants. Cyclamens at your place must be able to grow much more quicker than my place. It seems impossible keeping them in green through the deadly heat summer here. All cyclamens go to dormancy.

Looking at the postings here it seems that I am about 4 weeks behind in flowering for my pot grown cyclamens.
 The plants outdoors started about 3 weeks ago and apart from a few large plants in pots , all I have are the beginnings of growth.  Another problem is that all the labels have vanished and most of my collection has been from seedlings found in other pots containing orchids, lilies etc, so their origin cannot be established.
 One thing I have noticed is that I have a large amount of white hederifoliums both outside and coming up in the pots.
Pictures attached show one large soup-plate sized hed. corm in flower and a few plants growing at the foot of my corkscrew hazel tree.
Nice clumps of hederifolium plants, Tom :) They look comfortable at your garden.

Secondly - I assume some people who went to the open day at Wisley last week, also saw this hederifolium (the second picture) in the venue - the colour was so dark - almost black! I'd never seen this dark hederifolium before.....I just wanted to share this picture with those who didn't go.
Superb colour, Naoto :o :D 8) Thank you for sharing. What was written on the exhibition entry form? Looks similar to a hederifolium picture on Green Ice Nursery seed list described as "extreme dark purple (impr. 'Rosenteppich')". 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:40:31 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #387 on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
hi, not sure this is the right place to post - if not I'm sure Maggi will move it.

I've just found I've got vine weevil - I have lost most of my C.mirabile Tilebarn Nicholas seedlings and have found the grubs.

I did treat everything with Provado Vine Weevil killer about a month ago - I may have missed some pots.

The makers say it lasts 4-5 months - does that mean you can't treat more regularly?

Just realised there are other products - Bug Clear Ultra Vine weevil is acetamiprid and Provado is thiacloprid so maybe you can alternate between the two?

Reposting this to see if someone has any response to Mark......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #388 on: October 06, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
Superb colour, Naoto :o :D 8) Thank you for sharing. What was written on the exhibition entry form? Looks similar to a hederifolium picture on Green Ice Nursery seed list described as "extreme dark purple (impr. 'Rosenteppich')".

I didn't take a picture of the note but as far as I remember it said "was given as Ruby Glow, but flowered in very dark colour" or something. On the same day, I saw a couple of Ruby Glow and Rosenteppich in both the venue and Wisley's alpine house but I wasn't that impressed with the colours - they all looked just normal pinky hederifoilim to me.
Contains 10% urea

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #389 on: October 06, 2015, 12:23:46 PM »
@Mr.YT

FYI...this is the picture of hederifolium "Ruby Glow" (the right one) I took in the venue on the same day - personally I'd hesitate to call this Ruby Glow..... :(
Contains 10% urea

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal