We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2015  (Read 23256 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Eranthis 2015
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
Maggi, yes sometimes you can make finds with just a little money. :)

Leena, it will be different where you are but my Eranthis cilicica are flowering now whilst my Eranthis hyemalis start flowering around 1st January and finished weeks ago.  So just based on flowering time there should be little scope for confusion between the two species.   

That's why I was mistaken with this Eranthis, it was the first to flower of my few Eranthis. The ones which I bought last autumn and which I suspect are cilicica (round tubers) though they were sold as hyemalis, have not come up yet.

These are the ones I got last year from a friend. Is the one on the right also hyemalis?
Leena from south of Finland

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »
That's why I was mistaken with this Eranthis, it was the first to flower of my few Eranthis. The ones which I bought last autumn and which I suspect are cilicica (round tubers) though they were sold as hyemalis, have not come up yet.

These are the ones I got last year from a friend. Is the one on the right also hyemalis?

These are all hyemalis, Leena!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
Jan Jilek is a member of this Forum and can answer your questions about wildbulbs.eu

The website at http://www.wildbulbs.eu/ seems to have defeated me.  I tried to order some (Eranthis) seeds but the process culminated in a message being sent rather than a request for payment and I have not (yet) had a response in the 10 days or so since I tried.  Does anybody know if this is par or did I go wrong somewhere, as I fear. 
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »
I think we have discussed this before - is this where one makes and order and waits to be told  when payment is required ?

edit -  perhaps not ..... but Jan Jilek can be contact ed via the forum....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:47:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »
Hi Maggi I wonder if I could help through my own experience, it was my understanding that if you are a new customer you should send payment with your order, I orded some bulbs which will not be ready till the autumn so was told to send a predate  cheque with plenty of time on it so it does not run out. Previous customers if I remember get sent an invoice either before or with the order. Hope this helps Alan.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »
Thanks, John - personal experience always the best.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
Thanks, John, that sort of helps and it sort of doesn't.  It is very easy to use Paypal or a credit card to make payments in a foreign currency, my bank charges a £20 fee for each credit transfer and will not issue cheques (as of 11 days ago).  So short of sending actual currency then I don't know how to send payment with an order.  The site co-run by Janis Ruskins http://rarebulbs.lv/index.php/en/ is the same; I've never placed an order there because I'm not looking to buy hundred of pounds worth so the £20 fee for a credit transfer is prohibitive.     
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »
These are all hyemalis, Leena!

Thank you Wim. :)
Leena from south of Finland

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
Thanks, John, that sort of helps and it sort of doesn't.  It is very easy to use Paypal or a credit card to make payments in a foreign currency, my bank charges a £20 fee for each credit transfer and will not issue cheques (as of 11 days ago).  So short of sending actual currency then I don't know how to send payment with an order.  The site co-run by Janis Ruskins http://rarebulbs.lv/index.php/en/ is the same; I've never placed an order there because I'm not looking to buy hundred of pounds worth so the £20 fee for a credit transfer is prohibitive.   
Janis has a UK bank account so payment is easy.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
There you go alan problem sorted, Ralph to the rescue.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2015, 11:18:54 AM »
Oh dear, this cannot be good news! Fortunately just a clump of ordinary Eranthis hiemalis is affected.  The stem on the right has swellings and on the left presumably what happens when these burst open.
Almost in Scotland.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
Alan, it is Eranthis Smut >:(.
I have had this disease for several years, but this year I tried spraying 3 times with Bayer Rosen-Pilzfrei Folicur (43,5 g/l Tebuconazole ) as described in reply #31.
It worked :D, so there is still hope!

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
Smut (Urocystis eranthidis) indeed, you can throw away the clump (not on the compost heap but in the garbage bin) or try the Tebuconazole as Poul said!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »
1. Eranthis hyemalis Flore Pleno
2. Eranthis hyemalis Grunling
in Moscow

Olive Mason

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2015, 06:57:53 AM »
Help  I have just found a clump of Eranthis hiemalis 'Flore Pleno' affected with smut.  I have removed all the top growth, is this sufficient or should I dig up the whole clump to prevent it spreading?
Not only snowdrops

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal