We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2015  (Read 16898 times)

François Lambert

Re: Paeonia 2015
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
An unknown double peony growing very happy in the garden, surrounded by sage who's blueish flowers contrast nicely with the peony flowers
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »
Can anyone solve this puzzle for me? Several years ago I inherited some pots of seeds, and eventually a paeony seedling germinated. I did not make a note of the name, and now find that the label has snapped in two. The remaining writing is very faint, I think it says
------phyton
------anatum
VH Tibet, 4400m, slate, scree.
I know that the seed was collected by Vojtech Holubec. The plant is now flowering for the first time and it would be nice to know what it is. The flowers are pink.

To me those writings doesn't say anything, perhaps the labels are not from peonies?

Hoy, your P.wendelboi looks so nice!

Here many of the species are now over, but some are still flowering like P.veitchii and P.daurica ssp mlokosewitchii in shade and also P.obovata ssp willmottiae. The first hybrids are now starting to flower, later this year than normally because of the cool weather.

Here are some pictures of my peonies this year.
The first to flower was P.obovata
Then P.anomala. By chance I planted just the same colored tulips near it last autum. :)
The last picture is from a P.officinalis hybrid or cultivar, which was found in Finland and was called 'Kesähamonen'

Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2015, 07:51:26 AM »
P.veitchii is one of my favourite peonies, and I am looking forward to the seeds from wild P.veitchii germinating next spring to see how they differ from the ones I have now. I'm not sure if my P.veitchii are pure species but I don't know with what they could be a hybrids. These are grown from garden seeds, the flower color varies, but they all flower at the same time, and have side buds, and they are not as tall as P.anomala (which I think is the real thing, because it is only second generation from wild collection).

Leena

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 07:57:06 AM »
Also P.daurica species is a little mystery to me, these peonies are also grown from seeds from garden origin.
I have one quite yellow P.daurica ssp mlokosewitchii (the picture was taken in sun, but it really is quite yellow), and another paler cream colored. The leaves of both plants look the same. The fourth picture is of a mloko peony which starts to flower the latest, only now.

Leena

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
I have some peonies which I have grown from seeds from P. x chameleon, and I got white, blush and pink plants from those seeds. I have thought that being a hybrid, P.x chameleon was sterile, but I'm glad the seeds germinated. The mother plant was blush. So these are some kind of P.daurica anyway.

Leena

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
P.obovata ssp willmottiae is also a favourite, and now I have a few seedlings germinated from my own plants and also from seeds which I got from Hoy  :)(they germinated only this spring)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
Leena- seeing your paeonias is a real pleasure.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
Thanks Maggi  :) Spring and summer are the best of time.
Here is another one, P x hybrida, a natural hybrid between P.tenuifolia and P.anomala, common in Finnish gardens (not hybridized here, but common in old gardens and that way increased).

Carolyn

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »
To me those writings doesn't say anything, perhaps the labels are not from peonies?

Leena, I think you are right! The label has been re-used, on the other side there is just the letter A, the last letter of Paeonia! so this doesn't help. I will try to post a photo later when I have taken the photos off the camera.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
Leena, you certainly have a great collection of peonies!

. . . .

Hoy, your P.wendelboi looks so nice!
. . . . .

Thanks Leena!

Here is a cross between lutea and delavayi:
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
Lovely paeonies and photos Leena.
I haven't seen these beautiful old Finnish cultivars before.  Are they associated with particular places or regions?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
I haven't seen these beautiful old Finnish cultivars before.  Are they associated with particular places or regions?

'Kesähamonen' was found in old garden near Helsinki in the south, but I remember it may have been found also from other places also in the south of Finland. It does set seeds (I have gotten seeds from it but they never germinated, but a friend of mine has gotten fertile seeds from it and the offspring varies, but he has a lot of peonies so it may have hybridized) so I'm not sure if all of them are the same clone, but it is a very pretty peony. It flowers early and the flowers have more petals than species, the petals are somewhat wavy, the name 'Kesähamonen' is something like  Small Summer Dress in English.

P x hybrida is more common, found in many gardens around Finland, and also from Sweden, I think.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »
Like crumpled silk - very elegant.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

GordonT

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2015, 03:00:21 AM »
Peony season has finally begun in Nova Scotia. Tree Peony 'Renkaku' is blooming for the first time in our garden. It was planted last year without any bloom. Our super snowy and cold winter seem to have done it some good- six huge blooms on this small plant!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
Peony season has finally begun in Nova Scotia. Tree Peony 'Renkaku' is blooming for the first time in our garden. It was planted last year without any bloom. Our super snowy and cold winter seem to have done it some good- six huge blooms on this small plant!

Those blooms could hardly be any bigger - and what a good number from a young plant  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal