We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mid Anglia AGS Bulb Sale 2015  (Read 3401 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Mid Anglia AGS Bulb Sale 2015
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »
The Mid Anglia AGS Bulb Sale 2015
Sunday August 23rd 2-4pm
Pepper's Farm
Forry's Green
Sible Heddingham
Essex
CO9 3RP

Guest nursery - Wildside

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NTEuOTYxMjc1fjAuNTc2Nzg2Jmx2bD0xNCZzdHk9aCZlbz0wJnE9U2libGUlMjBIZWRkaW5naGFtJTIwQ085JTIwM1JQ
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Mid Anglia AGS Bulb Sale 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:31:41 PM »
No morning flights this summer with Easyjet in to Stansted. I have to arrive the day before  :'(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Well, glad you got there Mark and good to see you looking so well again.  I think there were at least ten forumists there and a considerable number of lurkers.  A shame that the rain brought an early end to the proceedings, but we had a long journey home
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
Some pictures from the bulb sale.

1.  Waiting for the off.
2.  The galanthus sales.
3.  Can't think what Mark has just said to Brian Ellis.
4.  Must have been a joke!  And yes doesn't Mark look well.
5.  Two forumists take up their usual positions
Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »
A few more.

1.  Some forumists will do anything to get in my pictures.
2.  Only one bag this time.  Can't be concentrating!
3.  Sue Staines with Bernadette Gooderham from Norfolk.
4.  Mark Smyth and Jo Hynes (sorry about back view Jo) talking to Sue.
5.  Not a single bag amongst this lot.  Definitely not trying.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:37:05 AM »
Two photos from the auction . It was a fun afternoon dispite the rain . Nice to see so many friends . I will be back next year I'm sure .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:59:54 AM »

3.  Can't think what Mark has just said to Brian Ellis.
4.  Must have been a joke!  And yes doesn't Mark look well.

;D ;D ;D
You must've read our minds, David!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »
Looks thoroughly excellent - must aim to come next year. I think the Dorset AGS have a similar day - perhaps a little less renowned - but nothing like this in Kent :(  Still the Autumn Kent Alpine Show is not too far away  :)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
This is a view of the auction sale at the AGS bulb sale.  Quite a few forumists (and one in particular) to be seen and lots of lurkers.  Make sure sound is on.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:55:10 PM by David King »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
This could be the start of s  whole series of "Arthur does....."   ;D ;D

I spotted my pal from Ponteland having a winning bid, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
Now there's a thought..............

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
It's an unusual sale.  I arrived half an hour early and there were already about 40 cars parked on the field but only two people ahead of me in the queue to get in.  Presumably everyone else had things to sell and had been let-in early to set-up.  There was one long table with bulbs (and a few plants in pots) from a variety of different but unidentified vendors.  This was fortunately under an open marquee as it rained in varying degrees the whole time.

Some of the vendors had provided lists of what was on sale so you could see what you had missed if you got there too late.  I missed Galanthus 'Autumn Beauty' amongst a good range of snowdrop bulbs being sold, as I was given to understand, by/for Rod Leeds.  Perhaps it is the fact that East Anglia can call upon such prestigious contributors to the sale that makes it so noteworthy.  There was also a number of other stalls from professional growers and vendors.  And an auction is a regular feature, often featuring rare snowdrops.  I've never figured out the financials of the auction and whether the contributor of the lot gets anything from the proceeds or whether it all goes to the AGS.  As Emma mentioned, there is even free tea and cake, despite the fact that you are not charged for entry.  You could feed a good many people tea and cake on the price that some single snowdrop bulbs went for in the auction.

Next year this Bulb Sale is on 21st August at Cavendish in Suffolk.     
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
The clue is in the name Alan, it is the meeting of the Mid Anglia AGS and those cars already there were members and stallholders setting up, getting the teas ready etc etc.  We miscalculated the distance and arrived a full hour before the start and there only seemed to be two other cars with people in them waiting for the sale to start out of all those parked.
The long table you mention is the club's table and hence they are not labelled as to the originator, but it doesn't take a genius to work out which were from Wol and Sue!  I believe I am right in saying that, as with all AGS events half the proceeds go to the donor and half to the AGS, this would include the auction.
The quality of the bulbs and plants is, as you say one of the features of the sale and some of those on offer in the auction have never before been offered for sale before, others are certainly seldom available.  It is a social occasion as much as a bulb sale and it was good to see old friends and new.  In fact I didn't get a chance to speak to Sue Staines or Rod and Jane Leeds although if I hadn't got soaked we may have been there longer!  Many thanks to the mid Anglia group for all their hard work.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
Thank you very much for your helpful explanation, Brian.  Some of what you clarified I had surmised but other aspects I did not know at all.  The sale was run very smoothly and must indeed take a lot of setting up.

The long table you mention is the club's table and hence they are not labelled as to the originator

I think they should be, or at least identified by a number which is known to the organisers and recorded (since with recent bulb thefts I suppose the originator of bulbs for sale might wish to remain anonymous).  If we paid more attention to the provenance of the bulbs we buy it would make it much harder for bulb thieves to dispose of their loot, which might discourage them from stealing in the first place.  I'm not for one moment suggesting that there was anything remotely suspect or underhand at this sale but anyone selling a bulb on could claim to have bought it at a sale such as the Mid Anglia AGS Bulb Sale and it would be quite difficult to establish if that were true or not.       
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
Well who ever they were (other than Glen Chantry) they had some awesome bulbs. I will be there next year .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal