We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Massonia 2015  (Read 13378 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Massonia 2015
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
I have been separating and potting on 2 year old Massonia spp. today.  Took them out of a very dimly lit cupboard where they've been sitting potted but absolutely parched.  I was very surprised that they were alreay making new roots as you can see in the pictures.  Seem very small for 2 yos, maybe I'd better start to fertilize regulaly.  M. echinata plentiful but tiny after a year, M. obovata - very few but same size as the pustulatas.

M. wittbergensis I mistakenly sowed last autumn and up they came. I then had to move them under lights to simulate summer and then dried them off and sent them to the cold cupboard till June, after much misting no signs of activity so today I potted them on and found one just breaking dormancy. I will have to extend the season a bit to get them back in sync I suppose.

john
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:16:55 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
This M. depressa plant hasn't hung around, I only gave it and the others in my little massonia collection there first watering of the season about a week ago.

John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

johnw

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »
The M. pustalata seedlings (photos 1-2) took about 4 weeks to emerge and amount to anything.  You can see in my previous post the bulbs were not a bad size.  Perhaps they were slow due to the warm humid weather, quite atypical of August.  The tiny M. echinata bulbs (photo 3) also repotted on 4 August are taking their good old time. M. obovata - photo #4, up with M. pustulata.

I will mulch them after they have made good roots and it's a bit safer to water.

Meanwhile I am still watering 2013 Massonia ex JJA seeds that have never emerged. Time to toss them?

Ed. whoops had an obovata pic as pustulata, now corrected.

john
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:56:03 PM by johnw »

johnstephen29

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
Hi John you massonia's are looking good, if they were mine john I'd give them another year. I had some iris that took over two years before they germinated.

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
Hi John
 i also did not know they were summer growers and started M. wittbergensis from the 2013-14 SRGC SX last September, they have kept growing all year.  it was only last winter that i learned they were summer growers from a comment by Paul C. so i started another batch. They have been outside on a porch all summer.

here are both batches now.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:46:00 PM by Rimmer de Vries »
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

johnw

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »
Rimmer  - I was lucky and was able to trick the M. wittebergensis into 2 years of growth in 10 months but they were very reluctant to come up in late Spring after a winter under lights with a brief cold rest.  Mind you they are tiny compared to yours, alive is the main thing.

John - It seems I ordered the JJA seed in 2012 also so I'll have to check the date.

john

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »
Massonia species are great little plants to grow: this is M. echinata flowering in the wild near to my new home.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

johnstephen29

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Great to see them in the wild Rogan, the leaves look a bit tatty, looks like something has been chewing on them.

Darren

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2015, 08:09:16 AM »
I like this time of year when the Massonia are just starting to emerge  :)

Here are two new shoots:

First is a hybrid between M. amoena and M. hirsuta.  I find it hard to stop these two hybridising. Usually with hirsuta as the pollen parent. The reverse cross seems less frequent (presumably as M. amoena has its stigma hidden down inside the tube). The hybrids usually lack the best features of either parent and get discarded. This one is quite nice however.

The second picture is of a seedling from the late Charles Craib's final Penrock seed list. Listed as 'M. hirsuta, very robust form, Nieu-Bethesda'.  It is about to flower for the first time. I'm not yet sure it is hirsuta, personally, but the fritillaria-like tesselation on the leaves is fascinating. Sadly this fades as the leaves mature.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:21:32 AM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

angie

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »
I like this time of year when the Massonia are just starting to emerge  :)

Me to, and like I have said before it's thanks to certain forum members that I have a little collection of my own to enjoy  ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Darren

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
Me to, and like I have said before it's thanks to certain forum members that I have a little collection of my own to enjoy  ;D

Angie  :)

The beauty of growing these winter-growers is that we get to enjoy 'spring' twice in a year  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »
The second picture is of a seedling from the late Charles Craib's final Penrock seed list. Listed as 'M. hirsuta, very robust form, Nieu-Bethesda'.  It is about to flower for the first time. I'm not yet sure it is hirsuta, personally, but the fritillaria-like tesselation on the leaves is fascinating. Sadly this fades as the leaves mature.

My word, that tesselation is grand, isn't it?  Seems that with a lot of these leaf markings  as the foliage first emerges, one has to be on the ball to observe and enjoy it while it lasts.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Darren - I'm growing seedlings of Massonia obovata, pustulata & echinata.  None have tessaltion, is there a chance it will develop on any of these next year in their 3 year?

john

Darren

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »
Anything is possible John.

Certainly leaf markings, hairs, pustules develop more as the bulbs age (never write off 'poorly' pustulated forms of pustulata (or longipes if that is what we are supposed to call it now) until year 3 - they do improve).

Usually seedlings of pustulata/longipes that have a faint purple cast in year 1 go on to have pronounced, sometimes blotchy, purple colouring on the newly developing leaves when mature.

That said - I've never seen this tesselated pattern before and I've raised hundreds of Massonia seedlings. Nearest I've seen to it are forms of depressa with purple markings - though these don't seem to have the same regularity of pattern. I don't recall the tesselation being so pronounced last year, when the bulb was still too small to flower.

Darren

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »
My word, that tesselation is grand, isn't it?  Seems that with a lot of these leaf markings  as the foliage first emerges, one has to be on the ball to observe and enjoy it while it lasts.

Indeed - reminds me of some Cyclamen mirabile forms where the leaves emerge quite pink.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal