We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2015  (Read 25292 times)

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
Re: Trillium 2015
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
I have for years seen after other forms of Trillium grandiflorum flora plena and I have interest in information about what is found and is still alive. I know Carl Denton's cultivar list, but think some on the list unfortunately is lost. Trillium grandiflorum flora plena (I think it is 'Smith's Double' and 'Snow bunting' is quite well known and can be purchased at nurseries. But is there other forms or cultivars in gardens?

In my garden I have a few unnamed and seven with names:

grandiflorum flora plena (Smith's double)

grandiflorum "Snow bunting"

grandiflorum "Bressingham"

grandiflorum "Otis Bigalow"
Found by Otis Bigelow’ in the 1930’s It got a enormous flower.

grandiflorum "Jenny Rhodes"
Found by Mr Frank Rhodes in 1971.

grandiflorum "Rakestraw double"
Don't know much about this cultivar as have a very big flower.

grandiflorum "Elkins Form" 
I know tgere is a green double named as Elgin form and it is because it come from Elgin, Illinois. I also know Tage Lundell named a green double after his friend Harry Elkins. My "Elkin's Form" is white and I know Fred Case got it from Harry Elkin and I think Fred Case gave it the name "Elkin's Form" only because so he could remember where he got it from.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:50:06 PM by kalle-k.dk »
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »
Trillium grandiflorum "Rakestraw's Double"
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
I have for years seen after other forms of Trillium grandiflorum flora plena and I have interest in information about what is found and is still alive. I know Carl Denton's cultivar list, but think some on the list unfortunately is lost. Trillium grandiflorum flora plena (I think it is 'Smith's Double' and 'Snow bunting' is quite well known and can be purchased at nurseries. But is there other forms or cultivars in gardens?

grandiflorum flora plena (Smith's double)

grandiflorum "Snow bunting"

grandiflorum "Bressingham"

grandiflorum "Otis Bigalow"
Found by Otis Bigelow’ in the 1930’s It got a enormous flower.

grandiflorum "Jenny Rhodes"
Found by Mr Frank Rhodes in 1971.

grandiflorum "Rakestraw double"
Don't know much about this cultivar as have a very big flower.

grandiflorum "Elkins Form" 
I know tgere is a green double named as Elgin form and it is because it come from Elgin, Illinois. I also know Tage Lundell named a green double after his friend Harry Elkins. My "Elkin's Form" is white and I know Fred Case got it from Harry Elkin and I think Fred Case gave it the name "Elkin's Form" only because so he could remember where he got it from.
Hi Karl, you have a very nice collection of double grandiflorum. I think that I have still an other form Trillium grandiflorum 'Flore Plenum' from Simon Bond Thuja Alpines 1999
Belgium

brianw

« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »
I bought T. g. 'flora Plena' around 1985 at a Chelsea Flower Show from Bressingham's. Still have it and many divisions some distributed. A very vigorous form. Jenny Rhodes I bought some years ago. Tried to flower once then it died. Not seen it since.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2015, 05:05:29 AM »
For me "Jenny Rhodes" grow very slowly. Herman it look diffrent, did it have a name?
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »
For me "Jenny Rhodes" grow very slowly. Herman it look diffrent, did it have a name?
Karl, the name is only 'Flore Plenum'
Belgium

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
One I got from a friend as told me it come from seeds in his garden, I named it "Peters half double" and 3 unnamed.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »
One I got from a friend as told me it come from seeds in his garden, I named it "Peters half double" and 3 unnamed.
Karl, name or not, the doubles are very beautiful. This year I had a semi double in the garden, I hope he will come back next year to use the pollen to pollinate a pink form. This year the pink form was already pollinated.
Belgium

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2015, 06:00:08 PM »
Have you hear about T.grandiflorum 'Silver Jubilee' raised and named by Kath Dryden ?
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »
Have you hear about T.grandiflorum 'Silver Jubilee' raised and named by Kath Dryden ?
No Karl, except your question on trillium-L.
Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
I have for years seen after other forms of Trillium grandiflorum flora plena and I have interest in information about what is found and is still alive.

Wonderful Karl that you have that many doubles .....

This year I had a semi double in the garden, I hope he will come back next year to use the pollen to pollinate a pink form. This year the pink form was already pollinated.

Were all the flowers on the plant semi double Herman ?.
===================================================================
Just a few Trilliums are still in flower here however my recent efforts have been to divide a number of clumps which meant sacrificing seed heads that were forming on the individual potted up divisions , repot a number of seedlings of various ages and then pot on about 100 young seedlings that appeared above ground with cotyledon growth this season .....

There will a short pause for a few days until I can purchase more plastic labels and pots.... :)

It's interesting comparing individual seedlings  ...some have well advanced new roots while others in the same pot aren't so far on .It's also fun to compare pots of different species/hybrids.

Pic showing some of the current 590 pots .I'm just over half way and have 1000 pots before the end of January as a cut off point .

Pencil /cotyledon rhizome comparison   T. chloro on the left ----T .vaseyi hybrid on the right.
Divots to be finished ,seedlings settled and pots watered .....

Umm hopefully there is a market out there for them next year ....  ;D

More later ...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:36:31 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »
Gorgeous double forms of T. grandiflorum! I hope to find one someday. Meanwhile, I am looking for an answer regarding the green variants.
I found this spring a few nice looking, vigorous and healthy. They are called ‘aberrant’ and they are infected (supposedly); the saying goes that they will deteriorate in time (?).
I have seen many truly aberrant green Trillium grandiflorum but those usually look badly very early on.

I would be very interested to know if anyone grows or has/had propagated such forms? (not necessarily of T. grandiflorum). Thanks in advance.
This is my green variant#3

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
Wonderful Karl that you have that many doubles .....

Were all the flowers on the plant semi double Herman ?.
===================================================================

Dave the plant was between a lot of other grandiflorum in the garden. It was one single flower.
Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2015, 07:38:48 AM »
Dave the plant was between a lot of other grandiflorum in the garden. It was one single flower.

Thank you Herman -Fingers crossed it returns as a semi double your next season.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »
Just a few Trilliums are still in flower here however my recent efforts have been to divide a number of clumps which meant sacrificing seed heads that were forming on the individual potted up divisions , repot a number of seedlings of various ages and then pot on about 100 young seedlings that appeared above ground with cotyledon growth this season .....

There will a short pause for a few days until I can purchase more plastic labels and pots.... :)

It's interesting comparing individual seedlings  ...some have well advanced new roots while others in the same pot aren't so far on .It's also fun to compare pots of different species/hybrids.

Pic showing some of the current 590 pots .I'm just over half way and have 1000 pots before the end of January as a cut off point .

Pencil /cotyledon rhizome comparison   T. chloro on the left ----T .vaseyi hybrid on the right.
Divots to be finished ,seedlings settled and pots watered .....

Umm hopefully there is a market out there for them next year ....  ;D

More later ...
Dave, 590 pots, that is a lot! At the moment I have 40 pots (sowing previous year together with this year). I use bigger pots, the seedlings will stay there for a few years, depending how quick they grow. It is much easier then transplanting in small pots.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal