We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Loughborough Show 7th March  (Read 2780 times)

Martinr

AGS Loughborough Show 7th March
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Hi all, it's that time again. The Loughborough show will feature hundreds of stunning exhibition plants and 15, yes 15, nurseries selling many mouth watering delights (might be a few eye watering prices as well  :) ). Also terracotta pots, books, seed, tombola, bacon and sausage butties, our famous carrot cake and much, much more. Don't miss it and make sure you visit the cash machine before you come!!!!!

Full details in the attached posters. A late addition not on the second poster is Thuya Alpines (Simon Bond).

Hope to see lots of you there.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:53:14 PM by Martinr »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: AGS Loughborough Show 7th March
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
All in all a "dainty dish" , Martin  - I envisage some very empty ATMs in the area with all those nurseries attending. Thank goodness for free entry for AGS members! ( ev'ry little helps, you know  ;) )
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:51 PM »
But, such a shame about the awful lighting in the Hall. It really does make photography too difficult for words.

Graeme

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
oh no - not another expensive day out  ;)
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »
Hope to make it this year
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Yes other half is in London so have a free pass for the weekend ;D . First visit to Loughborough show and 15 nurseries  sound great, unfortunately got nothing ready for the show bench

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
One of the  nurserymen visiting the AGS Loughborough show is getting ready to load the van  -

Rob Potterton

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
There's a sight for sore eyes! (and an aching back). Rock gardening - does one sense a resurgence? Here is the Wisley Rock Garden yesterday. The display of plants in the alpine house was as colourful and dramatic as ever, but you know quite limited in its diversity. Much of the 'gardening' with alpines looked a little tired and neglected, I think perhaps because of a) too few people involved and b) less of an understanding and allocation of resources and imagination to this part of the garden - but I could be biased I expect!

(Later I gave a talk to the Woking AGS Group about growing alpines in sand and showed a couple of pictures from Peter Korn's book, and one taken of Panayoti and Gwen Kelaidis' front garden in Denver - copied from a book written by Ken Druse - and these really inspire me... And what about Lincoln and Laura Louise Foster's garden - a picture from their book? Alpine gardening - something to get excited about or what? Something to fire the imagination...)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Martinr

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
Just back from Loughborough. The hall is all set up, kitchen fully stocked.....now a couple of hours kip is required before getting up to make a 7am arrival to get the bacon and sausages on the go.

See you all in the morning. 8)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »
Well done Martin - hope you get a lovely night's rest and that everyone attending the show tomorrow, in whatever capacity, has a wonderful day.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 07:24:48 PM »
There's a sight for sore eyes! (and an aching back). Rock gardening - does one sense a resurgence? Here is the Wisley Rock Garden yesterday. The display of plants in the alpine house was as colourful and dramatic as ever, but you know quite limited in its diversity. Much of the 'gardening' with alpines looked a little tired and neglected, I think perhaps because of a) too few people involved and b) less of an understanding and allocation of resources and imagination to this part of the garden - but I could be biased I expect!

(Later I gave a talk to the Woking AGS Group about growing alpines in sand and showed a couple of pictures from Peter Korn's book, and one taken of Panayoti and Gwen Kelaidis' front garden in Denver - copied from a book written by Ken Druse - and these really inspire me... And what about Lincoln and Laura Louise Foster's garden - a picture from their book? Alpine gardening - something to get excited about or what? Something to fire the imagination...)

I agree, Tim. I have no right to complain as I've not been a RHS member for a long time but something more imaginative and inspirational could be done at Wisley. For one, it's looking just the same as it was when I visited at the beginning of January. I know winter isn't a great time for planting, but I think Wisley has a free-draining, sandy soil and on a slope like that maybe something could have been done to avoid the barren look in these beds for such an extended period? But, I was more disappointed when reading the sign. I have nothing against Pulsatilla, Anemone, Dianthus etc. There are many garden-worthy plants in those genera, some of which can be found in my own garden. But, Wisley should be a showcase for all aspects of horticulture and plantsmanship and in the vanguard of the "Great British alpine/rock garden revival". With such a large rock garden at a high profile and well-visited garden undergoing a major renovation it would be great to see something truly exciting at the end of it, which could represent some of the most inspiring approaches to alpine/rock gardening today.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
One of the  nurserymen visiting the AGS Loughborough show is getting ready to load the van  -

Rob Potterton

I think I see some special plants going off to market   ;D

Hope it's a great day for all in Loughborough. The forecast looks better there than here, where we're holding a silent auction as a fundraiser at work. It'll be a wash/blow out for us.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
From Twitter from the Loughborough Show - the Farrer plant, Narcissus 'Mitzy', shown by Peter Furneaux
seen here in this photo from Don Peace

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:06:34 PM by Maggi Young »

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 08:03:38 PM »
Maggi
It is Narcissus Mitzy, but it was the Farrer winner.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
Just a few pictures from today
A general shot of one of the show benches
Crocus Carpathian Wonder

And two of the pots submitted to the Joint Rock Committee by Dr Ronald Mckenzie
Hugh Mckenzie
Angelina
Both of which are on my most wanted list,and have been for some time
Was also good to meet other Scottish Rock members there,was even recognised by my mug shot
Apologies for pictures having a slight yellow hue to them ,lighting was poor
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal