We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - March 2015  (Read 33892 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus - March 2015
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2015, 08:19:07 AM »
I enclose a photo of a double G. which looks like G. flore pleno except that it has bigger flowers and a different looking inner petal from the others growing in my garden. Is this the result of a virus or is it quite common?

It's hard to tell from the photo but nivalis flore pleno can show a lot of variability in the flower form.  This can vary from year to year and also according to the maturity of the bulb, quite apart from any more fundamental variability in different clones.  As with any snowdrop of interest, the thing to do is to keep it under observation and find out if it does the same unusual thing each year     
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »
Rick, lovely to see your 'drops - quite something, isn't it, that 'Fenstead End' should have persevered throughout such a long period under such conditions?  Salutary experience to see what these little plants can survive!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
Yes, amazing Maggi, they are tougher than nails.
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »
'Lerinda' looks good, Leena. A nice strong scape too, to keep the flowers from flopping. It appears to have good presence in the garden.

Thanks Matt, that it does. :) And cost only a couple of pounds.
Leena from south of Finland

latestart

« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »
It's hard to tell from the photo but nivalis flore pleno can show a lot of variability in the flower form.  This can vary from year to year and also according to the maturity of the bulb, quite apart from any more fundamental variability in different clones.  As with any snowdrop of interest, the thing to do is to keep it under observation and find out if it does the same unusual thing each year   

Thank you Alan-b. I found this in a pot which had been taken down from its supports on a fence. I had used my own home made compost mixed with some new stuff to plant up fuchsias last Spring. I had to put the fuchsia inside for the winter so decanted it to a smaller container. As I regularly put any waste from the garden into the compost bins and forget about them for two or three years I was concerned when it was suggested to me that this might be a virus. I will keep it separate from my other snowdrops which seem to be increasing at an alarming rate. I'm trying my best to resist becoming a galanthophile but it is difficult. I have 11 different ones now.   

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2015, 07:46:57 AM »
... I was concerned when it was suggested to me that this might be a virus.

I don't believe that much is known about viruses affecting snowdrops.  Snowdrops are often stated to be virused if the leaves show a narrow striping.  There is a cultivar called 'Augustus' (named for E.A. Bowles) where the commercial stocks are thought to be virused but it still grows well and the virus is not reported to spread to other snowdrops.  Some years ago inactive forumist 'KentGardener'  had what he identified as a virus that spread through his collection but that is the only account I have heard of a virulent snowdrop virus.

Irregularities in the petals are not (AFAIK) associated with virus infection.
Almost in Scotland.

latestart

« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »
Thank you Alan-b. I bought G. Augustus at Dunblane and did read about the leaf virus when I researched it. I also bought G. Jonathan because it is the name of one of my grandsons. He is I hope a budding gardener. G.Greenpeace and G.S.Arnott because I liked the look of them as they seemed to push up flowers before the leaves grow and Sam Arnott is said to bulk up well. G. Merlin because it was very tall and G.Curly I liked it. I also got G. Wendy's Gold. I could not afford it last year as I had spent all my pocket money and more. If it does as well as the G.Spindlestone Surprise, bought last year, I will be delighted. I got G. Viridipice too because of the green marking on the outer petals. G. seem to enjoy my garden and as a budding Galanthophile I will find it easier to remember the names when they are all very different from each other.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
S. Arnott, Merlin and Viridipice are tried-and-tested old cultivars.  Spindlestone Surprise and Wendy's Gold are well-established yellows, the latter more yellow (in extent) than the former.  Curly doesn't do anything for me personally and I don't grow Jonathan or Greenpeace and cannot bring them to mind.  But I think it is a very good idea to grow snowdrops that you can easily recognise and tell apart from each other.   
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Could there be hope? Mind you we got so fed up with the cold we shovelled a foot and a half of snow off this small bed.  These have not changed an iota since the ground froze in late December. They've been entombed in 6" of solid ice with a good 2-3ft of snow sitting atop since early February, 4ft or more from shovelling.  They are tough but when on earth will they ever flower? I seemed to have severed a head in the digging adventure......
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:42:49 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »
John...similar snow and ice persisting here. Two weeks ago I did what you have just done in one area, and I am happy for it, because now there are some drops emerging and actually starting to look like snowdrops. We have had three snows since I did that, but the new snow is melting here, it is that huge layer of ice and snow from February that is so slow to move. I feel your pain, but there is hope. Here is a G. p. 'Diggory' that started to throw its sheath up in late December. Hang in. Rick

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »
The Weather Channel blames a cold spot over the Atlantic south of Greenland, presumably ice melt water which is interrupting jetstream wobbles and possibily signalling Gulf Stream failure.  Frankly it feels like someone else's weather here, not ours. Can you imagine Hamamelis 'Arnold Promise' just in full flower now? Two or more months late.   

johnw +1c

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2015, 01:40:51 AM »
Crazy long winter...enjoy your Hamamelis 'Arnold Promise' ...strange. Come on snowdrops!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2015, 08:07:01 AM »
Here is a G. p. 'Diggory' that started to throw its sheath up in late December. Hang in. Rick

...and doesn't it look nice with a limey green receptacle?  I expect it won't be long before it darkens but it adds to its charm I think.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
Thank you Brian....I was a bit surprised by the limey-green, but I am sure you are right as it must be the result of being frozen under all of that snow for so long...a very icy and large cow pat.  ;D  Rick

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »
Some from early March including some new acquisitions.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal