We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage February 2008  (Read 48084 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Flowers and foliage February 2008
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »
Thomas,

Eranthis may not be special to you guys, but to some of us they're wonderful treats to be enjoyed at every opportunity.  To see a carpet of them like that is amazing!!  Thank You!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

john h forrest

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2008, 12:36:43 PM »
Hi all

Am in Tenerife at the moment visiting my brother in law for a wedding. I have had to make a temporary login because the system won´t let me in under my normal name and password. This may be because before I left I changed my profile because my email adress has changed.

Just before I left I took a few pics in the garden and will try to post them now but may not be able to because I sent them to my yahoo email and have downloded to B in laws computer but could only save them as bitmaps so may not work
 Hepatica new flower
Hepatica new flower full
Hepatica mature flower

john h forrest

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
Hi All

Am in Tenerife at the moment visiting my brother in law for a wedding. I have had to make a temporary login because the system won´t let me in under my normal name and password. This may be because before I left I changed my profile because my email adress has changed.
I have just tried to post a few pics but without success???????

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
The pictures are there John - and beauties they are.
Verrrrrrrrrry nice Hepatica !  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
Luit,
What a superb Abeliophyllum distichum! It seems there is a superior clone in the Netherlands.All plants which I have seen here had distorted twigs although nice flowers too.

Gerd, I'm now pretty sure my plant is Abeliophyllum distichum Roseum, because I saw in gardenshops only real white flowering plant. And I remember that I was looking for a "pink Forsythia" when bying the plant.
Here is another picture taken without sun. It's in full flower now but I fear the coming nightfrosts with more than 5 degrees below zero.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:49 PM »
Very nice plant, Luit! Thank you for the pic.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2008, 10:01:19 PM »
A nice Romulea in the garden today

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2008, 10:04:02 PM »
Dionysia  curviflora coming into flower in the alpine house.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:19:18 PM by Maggi Young »

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
Well it is bright and sunny here in Bury, but bitterly cold for a 'her indoors' type, which is what I am. So I just rushed out with my camera to give you a taste of what a few days of warm weather has brought into flower.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »
A nice Romulea in the garden today

Nice one Michael, is it R. bulbocodium var. crocea?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »
Well it is bright and sunny here in Bury, but bitterly cold for a 'her indoors' type, which is what I am. So I just rushed out with my camera to give you a taste of what a few days of warm weather has brought into flower.

Dull, grey and drizzle here Shelagh and b****y cold!! We had the sun on Wednesday and to an extent, yesterday. Aren't Hellebores a pain in the backside to photograph? I liked your Primula Groeken's Glory, I haven't seen that one before.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
David. from memory it is crocea,too cold today to look for a label

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
I liked your Primula Groeken's Glory, I haven't seen that one before.

Shelagh and David, as a Dutch gardener seeing the naming of this Primula I would like to make a
little correction and hope you don't mind.
The right spelling is Groenekan's Glorie. Groenekan is a small village near Utrecht.

Shelagh, I do hope the weather is getting warmer soon and you can show us more beauties of your garden.

Luit
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
Thank you Luit for the correction. It is so long since we bought it we have long since lost it's original label. It is such a 'good doer' that we have moved it with us from one house to the next.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
John - John Gennard, that is,

Just now caught up on your follow-up posting on your woodland garden. It is an outstanding example of this type of garden, an excellent selection of plants and all well managed so that one does not overrun the other. Excellent, really enjoyed it. Many thanks,

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal