We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South West AGS Show-Exeter 2015  (Read 2198 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
South West AGS Show-Exeter 2015
« on: March 28, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
Just had a quick bite to eat and long awaited sit down with me feet up after a long day at the Show. Lots on the benches, the plant sellers seemed to have done well as did the member's Plant Stall with lots of people around. Prior to judging and just after, the place was heaving but then tailed off and it was very quiet late afternoon.

Nice to meet Tim and Mrs Ingram (in the flesh as it were) working hard on their Compton Ash stall. As usual bumped into John Evans whilst he was wielding his camera. Offered to give him a quick photography tutorial but he dissolved into hysterical laughter, can't understand why ;D

Farrer winners were Paul and Gill Ranson, Chippenham, with a stonking Dionysia 'Inka Gold' odora x tapetodes MKO 353/2, part of a first winning three pan also pictured.

More pics to come when I get round to some serious re-sizing.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: South West AGS Show-Exeter 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:19:51 PM »
Some more from Exeter:-

Lovely three pan from Eric Jarrett winning a first
Townsendia exscapa
Dionysia aretioides 'Gerben'
Saxifraga 'Lismore Mist'

Another first for Lee and Julie Martin with Primula x meridiana 'Miniera'

Again from Eric Jarrett, another first with Primula 'Tony'

Primula allionii 'Eureka' a third this time for Lee and Julie Martin

A first for Ian Robertson with Cyclamen pseudibericum, this one from seed sown October 1998
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:25:14 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »
Can't for the life of me think how Jon was reduced to hilarity by your suggestion, David - perhaps  he'd been lifting too many heavy plants without benefit of  coffee and bacon butties.... ?

Those nice Ranson folk grow great plants, don't they?  Not to mention the others we've seen already - are you going to show the photos to your own plants as encouragement??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
Looks like it was another excellent show David !
Thanks for this "teaser" ... surely hoping there's more to come !  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
Some quite stunning plants from the Primulaceae. I do like  Primula 'Eureka' - lovely shape to those flowers.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
Can't for the life of me think how Jon was reduced to hilarity by your suggestion, David - perhaps  he'd been lifting too many heavy plants without benefit of  coffee and bacon butties.... ?

Those nice Ranson folk grow great plants, don't they?  Not to mention the others we've seen already - are you going to show the photos to your own plants as encouragement??

I think it was very rude of him Maggi ;D

Yes, we had a meeting in the greenhouse this morning where I put to them to see if it would float their boat. There was broad agreement on the way forward and we proposed to set up a couple of focus groups to continue the blue-sky thinking.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »
A few more from Exeter:-

Chiionodoxa (Scilla-some would say!) luciliae
Tecophila cyanocrocus var. violacea, and
Scilla melaina
combined into a winning three pan for Bob and Rannveig Wallis

Note for Jon: see how I artfully added some white streaking to the flowers to give the added texture. You should try it

Hycinthoides reverchonii, again a first for Bob and Rannveig

Frit. davisii, a first for Cyril Dart.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
I think it was very rude of him Maggi ;D

I think it was remarkably restrained - he might well have decked you!

Quote from: David Nicholson
Yes, we had a meeting in the greenhouse this morning where I put to them to see if it would float their boat. There was broad agreement on the way forward and we proposed to set up a couple of focus groups to continue the blue-sky thinking.
Good to hear that - thinking outside the box and  breaking the envelope is vital for any real progress to be made .....

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »

Could well be a paparzzi/gliteratti incident Maggi.  So many snazy primulas and all............
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 04:20:03 PM »
... and yet more.....

Dionysia 'Selene'
D. zschummelii
D. 'Hyperion'
first in a three pan class for the Ransons.
Apologies to Dionysia growers for my shortening the labels but you do tend to write 'War and Peace' when you do a label ;)

A pan of Trillium rivale, another first for Lee and Julie martin
Iris willmottiana, from seed sown January 2002, another first for Lee and Julie Martin
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:27:23 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
Penultimate ones:-

A Primula three pan that won a first for Peter Summers. From the top P. allionii 'Anna Griffith, P. a. 'Pink Aire' and P. 'Lindum Malcolm's Mate'

Another Tecophilaea cyanocrocus this time a first for Jim Loring

Frit. argolica, grown from seed sown September 2006, a first for Ian Robertson (of bigggg pots of Cyclamen fame)

Daphne genkwa, a first for Dorothy Sample. A beautiful colour on a beautiful plant.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
and the last few:-

Three whopping pots of Corydalis from Bob and Rannveig Wallis gave them a three pan first
Corydalis seisumsiana
C. verticillaris
C. solida 'Penza Red'

Pulsatilla grandis 'Budapest', a first for Cyril Dart.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »
 Good to hear that - thinking outside the box and  breaking the envelope is vital for any real progress to be made .....

I'd have had his father-in-law on him.

A truism Maggi.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
Hello Dave thanks for all the details about the show super pictures I can see at least you made the effort well done cheers Ian the Christie king
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 07:46:15 PM »
An enjoyable day at the Exeter AGS Show. Not only was it nice to meet David, we also met with Jenny Archibald (and a good friend of Jim's who used to visit the Plantsman Nursery from way back), Peter Perrin (who was at the Czech Conference and is a friend of Susann Nillson), Stella Tracey (who I met many years ago and visited her garden on the edge of Dartmoor where she had a National Collection of Dianthus), a lady who once worked with David Way at East Malling and another whose uncle was John Bultitude (an apple guru who knew my father and researched Malus varieties at the collection at Brogdale in Faversham), and of course a whole host of growers showing plants and keen gardeners buying them! A bevy of very interesting people and a friendly and excellent venue. To top all this we returned through driving rain on Sunday via Waterperry and met Adrian Young and had the chance to see the Saxifrage collection there for the first time. A tiring but very stimulating weekend that will merit a write up here and elsewhere once we've caught our breath! Our thanks to all those who organised the Show and worked behind the scenes. Nice to see the pictures of the plants and there were also some beautiful paintings by Marjorie Blamey awarded for certain categories in the Show, wonderful for the winners to hang in their house for a year before the next Show comes round, and a great incentive to get involved.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal