We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - April 2015  (Read 8734 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Galanthus - April 2015
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »
Some photos of my snowdrops from last week

I have three yellow snowdrops and 'Wendy's Gold and 'Bill Clarke' have not multiplied from last year, but 'Ray Cobb' has. I can't really say nothing after only so short experience, but I think I want now to buy some more yellow nivalis, in case they do better here than yellow plicatus.
'Ray Cobb' started to flower earlier than the other two so it is soon going over.

Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 07:06:27 AM »
Apart from yellow G.plicatus, all other G.plicatus seem to like it here.
The first is an unnamed one which a kind forumist sent me two years ago.
The second is an unnamed G.plicatus from Augis bulbs and I have even divided it last year. It is quite robust snowdrop.
Also 'Diggory', planted 2013 has multiplied.

Leena

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »
My own old G.nivalis
G.nivalis fl pl in the foreground
'Hill Poe', planted last summer was a nice surprise, it is more beautiful than I imagined

Leena

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 07:15:07 AM »
Some tall snowdrops
'Melanie Broughton'
'S.Arnott'
'Falkland House' is not so tall, but I like it's flowers and it also has started to grow well for me.

Leena

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
Couple more which were planted last summer and are now flowering for the first time, and have made an impression on me.
'Cicely Hall'
Fieldgate Forte', three pictures

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
What a wonderful collection Leena - it's quite weird to be reliving all these snowdrops a couple of months after they have all flowered here (you kind of move on with the garden, especially on a Forum like this  ;), and it's salutary to step back and view experiences in other places). I think you may have been unlucky with 'Wendy's Gold' because it is much the best (most vigorous) yellow that we have and does well in many gardens. Maybe 'Elizabeth Harrison' will turn out as good too, but it will be a while before this is more widely grown. The nivalis yellow 'Sandersii' is very slow with us but is now growing much better on a high humus raised bed. Look forward to seeing spring developing in your garden and across 'the pond'!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
Leena - how lovely to see your snowdropscoming out now to give you pleasure - and the other fans, too!

For photos from some nice crocus - and fine Galanthus nivalis in the wild from Thomas Huber, see this new thread : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=13049.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
The weather has taken a bit of a turn but there's still heaps of ice and snow to melt here and there.  The brutes centre left are Rodmarton Regul(i).

johnw - +7c & partly sunny
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Leena

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »
Thank you Tim and Maggi.
Snow melted here about a month ago and snowdrops started to flower then, but it has been so cloudy until last week that they kept their flowers closed. Now it is sunny and today +15°C, if this continues, they will be over soon. :( The snowdrops season so so much shorter here, too bad.

You have a lot of snowdrops, John. :)

johnw

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
Too many Leena and 2 more bigger frames and 1 smaller..........  As with you my fear is there will be a very warm day and things will pass, they've already lost a month of growth so next year may be a bust.  At least yours have been getting light, I thought mine would green up faster when the lids were removed.   The ones in the ground are trying hard to flower but I suspect there's still frost in the ground.  After being imbedded in 15cm of ice for 8-9 weeks only one small group in this new planting seems to have sustained some leaf damage.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:51:15 PM by johnw »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
Too many Leena and 2 more bigger frames and 1 smaller
I do believe you can't have too many John

The weather is certainly not doing you any favours this year!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
Well I hope that's past tense Brian.  What's worrying are the sheets of ice within the snowbanks.  The bulbs handle ground ice fine but the bulbs and dwarf shrubs with sheets supended overhead are another matter.   Just now I lifted a 2ft x 8" slab of ice off a clear part of the garden and to my amazament there were a number of Galanthus in it and the sheet came off leaving the drops intact.

Rodmarton Regulus - what a grand drop it is.

plicatus 'Primrose Warburg' (a clean batch at last after a bout of virus in another import.)

john
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:25:01 PM by johnw »

Leena

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 06:46:51 AM »
plicatus 'Primrose Warburg' (a clean batch at last after a bout of virus in another import.)

Is it common that 'Primrose Warburg' is virus infected? What about 'Spindlestone Surprise'?

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »
John and Leena...I am enjoying your snowdrops. So many nice ones you are both showing. Leena, your 'Fieldgate Forte' is terrific...my first time to see it.

John, I hope you are getting some decent spring weather finally.

Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

johnw

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »
Rick - I wish I was having more success taking pix with this Blackberry but the snow that is still about is causing big problems.  Some time ago I got a 'Trym' from Colesbourne that turned out to be not, could be 'Trymlet' but until I id it it will be Tramp.  Nine seedlings of Tramp flowered this year and all, like the others, have outer markings and mainly solid green inners.  So we can safely assume it selfed itself.  The markings tend to improve in a few years but I have my eye on one.

Apologies for the wretched pix.

The weather is splendid by the way and the big melt is close to 80% complete.

johnw - +10c & sunny
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:38:00 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal