We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2008  (Read 69888 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Cyclamen 2008
« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2008, 03:34:28 AM »
Gerd , striking leaf variations on your C. cyprium .-much more handsome than mine ,raised from the Elizabeth Strangman clone 'Snowflake' ,
           Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
Thank you, Otto.

Here is the last flower of Cyclamen colchicum which meets the first of Cyclamen elegans.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #287 on: November 15, 2008, 11:08:47 PM »
Thank you, Otto.

Here is the last flower of Cyclamen colchicum which meets the first of Cyclamen elegans.

Gerd
Gerd , your Cyc. elegans in flower and foliage looks very much like mine , which I grew from seed received from Michael Kammerlander , is yours from the same source ?
    ciao Otto.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:05:47 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Gerdk

« Reply #288 on: November 16, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
Otto,
This is a complicated story! I received the plant from my late friend Bernd Wetzel. He told me (if I remember well) that he got it from Dr. Hans Simon of Marktheidenfeld. It was stated that the origin was a Manfred Koenen collection from Iran.
So, if Michael Kammerlander received it from one of the persons mentioned above it might be the same stock.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #289 on: November 16, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
Gerd how names and memories come back. I think you took us to meet Bernd when Lesley and I visited you in 1986 on our way to the DDDR. It was a couple of weeks after Chernobyl and you gave me some super plants.

I heard later if I am correct that he died in an accident in China.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerdk

« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
Gerd how names and memories come back. I think you took us to meet Bernd when Lesley and I visited you in 1986 on our way to the DDDR. It was a couple of weeks after Chernobyl and you gave me some super plants.
I heard later if I am correct that he died in an accident in China.

Tony,
Yes, I remember too - fortunately the DDR disappeared - unfortunately we are 22 years older!
Dieter Zschummel was one of the last persons who met Bernd in Lijiang in 1997, just one day before 5 persons died on a mountaim road because the driver missed a curve.
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »
At a talk by Rob Potterton to our group last month, he made reference to that tragic accident and those poor men were in our thoughts .....It is not only the plant hunters of earlier times who face danger and death in their expeditions.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
What beautiful cyclamen from everyone, but what a sad end to a plantsman's life.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #293 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
David's confused again?? Is it Cyclamen cilicum or is it C. cilicicum I seem to read both names in the same publication, or am I missing something?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
David's confused again?? Is it Cyclamen cilicum or is it C. cilicicum I seem to read both names in the same publication, or am I missing something?

NEITHER  It is cilicium   ;)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #296 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
Thanks both, obviously I had an 'i' complaint when I typed my post! ;D  But having said that I'm still confused because in 'Cyclamen' by Chris Grey-Wilson 'cilicicum' is mentioned as well in the context of forma cilicicum?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
David

Having Googled 'cilicicum' I too am confused, since other genus are spelt cilicicum e.g. Colchicum, Muscari.  There is even an American Nursery that has Cyclamen cilicicum.   ??? ???  ???
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »
I think just a very common typo, David.... happens everywhere..... seems very prevalent spelling on continental websites... especially  in Spanish and Italian  ???  There is Colchicum cilicicum, which just adds mud to the mix!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
....... and on some American ones too, see 

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?12733

You would have thought that the publisher of an important monograph on the species would get it right, wouldn't you?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal