We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chesterfield Alpine Garden Society Show 11th April 2015  (Read 4194 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Chesterfield Alpine Garden Society Show 11th April 2015
« on: April 11, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
Just back from another wonderful AGS Show at Chesterfield in Derbyshire. Hearty congratulations to Show Secretary; John Savage and his hard working team on another exemplary event.  The Farrer Medal for the 'Best Plant in the Show' went to a magnificent Scarlet Locoweed (Astragalus coccineus) exhibited by Peter Farkasch, that shone out like a beacon in the hall.  I would normally have captured an image of Peter with his superb exhibit, but he had to return home to attend to family matters and didn't return to the hall before we departed.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Chesterfield Alpine Garden Society Show 11th April 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
That is a glorious plant - congratulations to all involved in the show and to Peter Farkasch for that wonderful Farrer plant.
The Forrest winning plant at Edinburgh today was another American plant , Hymenoxys acaulis var. caespitosa - how big a coincidence is that?  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
 I'm indebted to John Dower for this shot of Peter Farkasch (reluctantly) posing with his magnificent Farrer Medal winning plant of Astragalus coccineus and one of Peter receiving the Farrer Medal card from John Richards.

Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
… and another image from JohnnyD … THIS TIME SHOWING A DELIGHTED CAROL KELLETT WITH HER WELL-EARNED TROPHY FOR '1 PAN PLANTED AS A MINIATURE 'ALPINE' LANDSCAPE … and who did she beat into second place … JohnnyD and his lovely wife Clare!!!
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
Wow! Well done Carol - that is a BIG win!!  Congratulations - and I know Clare and Johnny will be taking  your win in good part -  well, they may be drowning their sorrows in gin, of course!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
They will be reconstructing their garden as we speak, Maggi … with a gin and tonic or two, of course.  But, as John says, Carol is simply another protege of the East Lancs mini-garden stable ... ;D
Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 05:15:43 AM »
A non-competitive exhibit staged at Chesterfield Alpine Garden Society Show on 11th April 2015 by Robert Rolfe featuring beautifully flowered examples of the gorgeous Saxifraga x dinninaris 'Ray Woodliffe'.
Cliff Booker

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
To be honest, though doesn't matter who wins, I am absolutely delighted for Carol. She has tried very hard and fully deserves her trophy. :D
As for very good friend Peter Farkash, he says he doesn't take a good photo, but who could look bad holding a plant like that? :P
Well done all round.
JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

veteran vet

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »
Had a busy day at the show yesterday as judging, doing the AGS Show Report and trying to fit in my own photographs at the same time, seemed to be on my feet all day, was up at 4am to get there and bag a good parking spot, home by 7-15, couple of whisky 'small' glasses and fell asleep soon after watching The Masters....most unlike me...what a way to spend my xx birthday. Never mind good crack with lots of folk at the show, on the same wave length as Robert Rolfe who was doing the photography, even made a start on the report this morning as was raining cats and dogs. 
I will not get all my pics on tonight but will make a start with 3 from Ju Bramley, general dogs body and organiser, in good form yesterday
Dionysia 01 02/05 x archibaldii 'Golden Yellow' in class 11.....this was a really strong yellow
Dionysia 'Ema Frank'  ??- 'Erna Frank'
Dionysia 'Selene'
These were all in the one 3 pan class, got a red sticker as you might imagine. Next door to this class was
Dionysia gaubae from Don Peace, see not just a bulb man.
Saxifraga burseriana 'Mangart' (2) from George Young
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:32:53 PM by Maggi Young »

veteran vet

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »
There were several plants of
Viola brevistipulata hidakana on display, this one from Ian Kidman earned a Certificate of Merit (31) but it had a tough fight in the class, so much that it was an equal first with a very nice Caltha himalaica from John Richards, caused some discussion but hey that the way it goes
Another Certificate of Merit was awarded to
Townsendia spathulata 'Cotton Balls' from Frank and Barbara Hoyle who also had a venerable cushion of
Draba acaulis in (15), growing in a pot at least 2 feet high, glad he was carrying it not me

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
what a way to spend my xx birthday.

Ohh, turned forty at last, have you George?!!  Many Happy Returns of the Day to you!  :-* :-*

Thanks for taking the time to share your busy day with us - it is such  a pleasure to see the shows "from afar"- and I say that on behalf of the distant members, not just myself  in Aberdeen!!  ;D

veteran vet

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »
Feel my age Maggi, especially humping large pots around now, will have to have a sort out in the plant department and do some downsizing, but not just yet, the only trouble with big pans is getting many in the car!!!. Thank you for the Birthday Wishes

veteran vet

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
Narcissus 'Solveigs Song' from Les Brown (21), sure she is a Wallis sister, and while we are on the Wallis clan there was
Narcissus bulbocodium RRW 88-32 from Peter Hardy in 121
Androsace have been very modest at shows so far this year but
Androsace laevigata from Chris Lilley was a fine big pan and a fine small pan was
Androsace robusta robusta from Don Peace (58), he also had a very nice
Tulipa cretica (68), did not earn a sticker as at judging time the flowers were closed, was a lovely compact pan

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Belated Happy Birthday George.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
Daphne petraea 'Lydora' was a stonking big pan from Lionel Clarkson (36), will be good for next week as well, hope he corrects the spelling on the label though. From one extreme in size to another with
Ophyris speculum (66) Barry Tattersall, the picture just is good enough but you really need to see it in the flesh to appreciate fully
Saxifraga x concinna 'Ben Loyal' from Robert Rolfe (63) is one of my favourites, we had a discussion re whether it is Bein or Ben (no not Bill and Ben) and after some research it should be Ben, the other word seems to have crept in from somewhere. Next door in 62 was a lovely
Pulsatilla vulgaris from Edward Barraclough (bragging rights this week?) while the show AGS director for the day, Martin Rogerson still managed a first in 61 with
Draba 'Buttermilk'.....glad its his job to re-pot it, not mine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal