We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 29567 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: May in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
Gorgeous, Allan!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »
Aquilegia laramiensis-seeded into a nearby pot

Makes you wonder why we bother trying to make them grow where we want them to, doesn't it?   ;D

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
With great trepidation Ken planted Epimedium 'The Giant' out last spring.  After this messy & icy winter he reports it's come through the winter with foliage intact. We have one in the greenhouse whose flowering stems measure over 8ft.  Here's a reminder of it - Philip MacD. and his pride and joy 'The Giant'.  He's crossed it with E. wushanense and they too appear to be cold hardy, some very interesting foliage there.

johnw - +10c @ 9:49 Atlantic
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:04:36 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »
Amazing pictures everyone!

The camellias haven't enjoyed the cold weather and overnight frosts, but this one is doing well: Camellia 'Nuncio's Carousel'.

And a couple of Epimedium cultivars, Epimedium 'Amber Queen' and E. 'William Stearn'.

Would LOVE to grow E. 'The Giant'!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Allan Jamieson

What's in flower on the lawn!
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
Not really alpine but kind of nice all the same, a few shots of Cowslips and Daisies taken on last Thursday/ Friday mornings when there was a sharp frost first thing in the morning. The daisies in particular look pretty good when viewed up close, I could do without the buttercups and dandelions on my lawn but the daisy has a certain something too it and unlike its neighbours does not invade the rest of the garden!

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
Welcome, Allan. We like all plants here, it doesn't have to be rare or difficult. We're enjoying cowslips at the moment too, with a batch of young plants grown from seed last year. Can't beat them for putting on a good show.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Allan Jamieson

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »
Thanks Matt, somehow the self sown Cowslips in the lawn look better and more natural to my eyes than those in the borders, just a bit smaller and not so over grown.

astragalus

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 04:39:04 PM »
In from the garden.  With no shade, it's too hot to plant on top of the cliff, even with screening.  We seem to be morphing from lingering winter into summer.
This wonderful onosma is always early.  It's planted at the edge of one pf the crevice gardens in these pictures.  Please notice this year's tiny seedling in front and last year's seedling behind.  It's also planted on the back of the cliff.  It seems to like exposure, sun and wind but it will get woody in a few years.  Makes lots of seeds.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

johnw

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
I was pleased as punch to see this skunk cabbage I had given friends as a small plant a few years ago.  They are stinkers to get established, especially so near brooks that can be fast moving at times.  Once they have a couple of years under their belt they can withstand anything.

johnw - +18c & brilliant sunshine
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:57:16 PM by johnw »

meanie

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »
Okay Maggi, here are the images resized your way, kind of convoluted this, export as jpegs from Lightroom reduced down as per your instructionsand then opened up in Photoshop saved for web, the file sizes now are tiny from what they started off as! Even a jpeg version of these files, exported from the original raw file is around 18 to 20mb each, now down to less than 50kb each.

Hopefully they will look a bit better this way!
For forums I just embed them from Flickr (1t.byte free) or Photobucket. Flickr is particularly good as you can save the original but select a smaller size to embed.

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »
For forums I just embed them from Flickr (1t.byte free) or Photobucket. Flickr is particularly good as you can save the original but select a smaller size to embed.

Unfortunately we have had occasions in the past when Photobucket and similar  albums have become unavailable and the photos are then  lost from the forum.  :'(

This may not bother everyone but from the point of view of building the forum as a permanent searchable resource, it is, as they say "a bummer"   :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:37:52 AM by Maggi Young »

Allan Jamieson

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
It isn't that big a deal now I know how to do this but all the same there is definitely a bit of loss in image quality compared to the original images but good enough to give an idea of what I saw. I understand Maggi's point of view completely, dead links are very annoying and rather commonplace on photography websites where people chop and change the images they have on online sites like Flickr and might well forget that they have linked some of these images to other sites. I do have a Flickr account which is really needing overhauled and more images put onto it, currently if you look up my name there all it has are a few pictures of Meconopsis but I have many thousands of images of many very diverse things including landscapes, macro of plants and abstract stuff, etc, etc.

Sometimes it is nice to share some of these images with people who might appreciate them for what they are without wanting to know all the technical details of how each image was taken, which camera/ lens/ aperture/ filter. Photographers sometimes lose sight of the beauty they try to capture by obsessing about using the latest and greatest cameras that they can afford but truth be told I could take virtually the same images on any modern camera which allows you to change the lens. The only real difference being the image quality gained from the sensor and the lens used, the photographer can control every other part of the image taking process, taking control back from the camera where need be and manually focusing the lens where you want it to be in focus and not where the camera thinks that it should be. In macro photography that is all the difference in the world!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
For print work big files are essential of course  but for  standard web-viewing, what kind of system and size of screen would one need to "properly" appreciate a huge  18MB  picture?!

No average screen would be able to cope with even a tiny segment of the photo, would it?
Very grateful to you, Allan and the others who take the trouble to share their plants with us in these pages.

johnw

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:19 PM »
This is terribly late for Leucojum vernum to be flowering but that's not a complaint.  We love the vernums and have v. carpaticum, we lost v. wagneri and one called 'Popo.......' which originally may have come from Janis. What has been elusive are those with green marks.  We were told the seed must come from Romania or easternmost Hungary. (???)
So I was excited when going through friend's garden yesterday to learn they had the green-marked vernum which came from a neighbour.  On examination the marks were green initially but seem to fade to yellow. Is this the case as a rule?  We had 1000 seeds from the eastern form but none germinated and have not found a source since.

A few photos from the aforementioned ones, you will see green marks on a freshly opened one on the left.  The last photos shows how persistent this species is here, it is struggling to come up in a well-used path that is compacted like cement.

johnw

Roma

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »
Gentiana acaulis (or it may be angustifolia)
Oxalis enneaphylla just coming into flower - it produces lots of seedlings but does not travel far from the original plants.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal