We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2015  (Read 4644 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Podophyllum 2015
« on: May 02, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
Podophyllum delavayi x mairei, my cross has yielded only 2 notable seedlings, one dark one with promise and another just showing few central spots that may improve in time.

And lastly P. pleianthum x delavayi and a shot showing the bud placement.

johnw
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:38:30 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

Re: Podophyllum 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:56:35 PM »
Another batch of seedlings - Podophyllum delavayi x versipelle - and these are quite different than delavayi x pleianthum. The nice thing is we are getting seedlings that emerge later which might be useful to those prone to devastating late frosts.  Also have red-leafed delavayis that emerge late.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
A batch of P. mairei seedlings from TonyW and Green Mile seed.  Becoming one of our favourites.

johnw

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:13:17 AM »
John

Pleased to see them growing so well.

What nobody has mentioned as the enthusiasm for these plants grows is that apart from P.  delavayi which is slightly better ,the larger leaved ones are a real weed. They come up all over the place from underground stolons and crowd out everything underneath.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »
John

Pleased to see them growing so well.

What nobody has mentioned as the enthusiasm for these plants grows is that apart from P.  delavayi which is slightly better ,the larger leaved ones are a real weed. They come up all over the place from underground stolons and crowd out everything underneath.

Weed? I wouldn't mind ;) They never get a chance here. My few plants struggle to be alive among all the slugs. Seems Podophyllum also is one of their top 50!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

greenspan

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
i don't know what this species is, but i guess it is what shaw described as Podophyllum versipelle ssp. versipelle. shaw assumes a natural hybrid between versipelle + difforme. the leaves are star-shaped as non-flowering plants + turns to more irregulardifforme like leaf-shape when flowering. then 2 leaves appear, bearing a few flower buds under the smaller leaf. i will show the flower when open, but it won't be an eye-catcher :P ;D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:12:42 PM by greenspan »
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

johnw

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
It looks nothing like verispelle from the Rhododendron Species Foundation that we have here .  I would say the second photo certainly shows some of difforme's aberrant leaf shapes - or better antics - so could well be a hybrid of it.  Does 'Kaleidoscope' not look much like that? Lesley once posted this photo of it.....whatever, yours is much better.

john
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:29:18 AM by johnw »

greenspan

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
my plants are imported from china from 2 different sources. they are very uniform + so i think it's a stable species now albeit it could have been originated from 2 other species. they seem to come from a warmer climate than here in z6b, because they tend to be wintergreen, e.g. stored in a greenhouse.
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »
A dark pink form  of podophyllum hexandrum pushing through the ground.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:32:35 PM by Susan Band »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

johnw

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:10:27 PM »
my plants are imported from china from 2 different sources. they are very uniform + so i think it's a stable species now albeit it could have been originated from 2 other species. they seem to come from a warmer climate than here in z6b, because they tend to be wintergreen, e.g. stored in a greenhouse.

Hmmm.....now that is puzzling.  Aaron is in China I believe but maybe he will comment when he returns. Tony?

johnw

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
I have tried Podophyllums several times but usually they end up as slug fodder. Here's one which has survived so far.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Greenspan.. Interesting podo it may likely be a natural hybrid as I have something similar and is surprisingly winter green or very late in going down. Like johns observations it may have difforme influence or just difforme. I think the flowers give it away from memory it has very hairy pedicels. Mine first arrived with a identification number of unknown species looks very similar to yours. There's a discussion between John and I a few yrs back.

John nice hybrids this year!
Cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

johnw

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 12:03:53 AM »
A dark pink form  of podophyllum hexandrum pushing through the ground.

That is an extraordinary colour break  Susan.  Is it also notably late too?  I ask as here is a shot of ours a day after you posted your shot and our season is late this year though we've had a good catch-up.  Rather wishy-washy in comparison what?

john
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:07:14 AM by johnw »

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37:25 AM »
Back from China.... where we only saw a versipelle like thing in the wild, but one albino one.

That versipelle ssp. versipelle looks more like tonkinense from SW Yunnan into Vietnam and probably also in Laos. I am unsure why this was placed in synonmy by Shaw with versipelle. I think in FOC they lumped it under difforme which I also don't agree with. For me, the plants I have from around Baoshan, Yunnan will remain evergreen-ish if I allow them to, but will also go dormant if I give them cold treatment. It is a stunning plant, but I still have not gotten seed set.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

brianw

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
My Podophyllum hexandrum has grown 2 new leaves recently, the previous having dried off. Also noted that the 4 seedling plants, sown last winter, and that germinated this year are also coming into growth again with new leaves. Is this my poor growing regime and the summer weather, or usual for this plant?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal