We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS East Anglia Show  (Read 1357 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
AGS East Anglia Show
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
Bright and breezy in Norfolk this morning where the East Anglia show took place today.  Woodlanders and lewisias predominated.  The benches were not as crammed with plants as in recent years but as we were without Cecilia Coller's entry this was no surprise.  Cecilia has damaged her back and has been in hospital - we all wish her well.

Peter Farkash sent his plants to the show in the care of fellow forumist Martin Rogerson.  Tough for Martin when they had the two best plants in the show between them but it was Peter's Haberlea that carried off the Farrer.  Martin's draba was a close second!  Both a pictured below.

Also shown:
Daphne petrea
Glaucideum palmatum
Paris incompleta

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: AGS East Anglia Show
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
Uvularia perfoliata
Trillium hibbersonii
Lewisia brachycalyx

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:20:50 AM »
Another Farrer Medal for Peter Farkasch?  Wow, what a rite of passage for such an amiable chap!  Hearty congratulations, Peter.  Excellent Haberlea … but such a shame for Martin with that immaculate Draba … Peter may have to find a new delivery firm in the future!!!!  ::)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Martinr

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:04:47 AM »
These things happen :'( :'( :'( No hard feelings....indeed I'm just off to the greenhouse to give his plants a 'tonic spray'. Glyphosate has been recommended ;)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »
These things happen :'( :'( :'( No hard feelings....indeed I'm just off to the greenhouse to give his plants a 'tonic spray'. Glyphosate has been recommended ;)

Very understanding, Martin … at least you aren't holding a grudge!   :-X :-X :-X
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »
Peter Farkasch also had a super plant of Astragalus utahensis at the show. There may have been less plants than previously but that wasn't noticeable to me because I haven't been for quite a few years - still a lot of really interesting plants and some stunning lewisias. The Haberlea was very fine, and not only that can be a good garden plant. A very enjoyable day, and a very friendly ambience.

It was interesting to talk to someone, not a member of the AGS but involved with the HPS, who came to the Show and who studied horticulture at Wye College. She is also involved in organising events in the village where she lives, especially for children, and so the subject of stimulating an interest in plants amongst younger people was a topic of conversation. (I think also the obvious sense of fewer people joining the AGS and HPS). Her simple (simplistic?) comment was that if you ask someone with expertise to share this they very often will but it doesn't happen unless there is a strong aim in mind and I suppose an openness to change. Probably the main conclusion we came to was the idea of having a greater sense of workshops/demonstrations/participation at the Shows which perhaps runs counter to the essense of exhibition of plants (and there has always been a view that the Shows are primarily for and by members, quite reasonably, which can lead to an exclusivity). I still remember the trough demonstrations at the Czech Conference (as well as the plant sales) which generated huge interest amongst everyone, so I think she is quite right, but giving the Shows a wider appeal like this in a rather conservative Society is another matter because it needs a subtle (not so subtle?) change in emphasis - and of course people who want to get involved. The other thing is that the Shows are so often held at schools and yet there never seems any wider link with the teachers and students at the schools themselves, even though ostensibly the societies (can) educate so much about plants.

I think it is worthwhile taking note of the viewpoint of people outside the society, especially if like she is they are very proactive themselves, and in this case she obviously found the Show very enjoyable and friendly with a lot of attraction already, but could see the absence of a younger generation joining in.

(Just seen Martin's comment - I'm really glad you bought Peter's plants, they were marvellous to see).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
Terribly sorry to hear that  Mrs Coller is unwell - I hope she is soon returned to full fitness .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
Yes - it was sad to hear that Cecilia wasn't well. Tony said that she normally brings something like one in five of all the plants on display which is an extraordinary contribution and true of so many other of the Shows as well. They are quite remarkable events when you realise how relatively few people, and certain people in particular, contribute plants. That is a strong reason to make alpine gardening more visible to a wider number of gardeners. Kit Grey-Wilson welcomed visitors to the Show at one point (as Val Lee did at Exeter and David Haselgrove at Harlow - and often happens at other Shows too) and there is a real desire across the AGS to broaden the appeal of alpines, just as there is in other alpine societies, but younger gardeners are unlikely initially to devote so much time and energy to exhibiting plants until they really begin to pick up the skills and joy of growing them. The plant sales seemed pretty good so there are plenty of interesting alpines winging there way to gardens all across East Anglia!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
My sister lives just down the road from Wymondham, and so I persuaded her to visit her first-ever Show.  She enjoyed it, especially the mini gardens.  Her email to me afterwards said:

"Amazing flowers and lots of people looking round, I spent an enjoyable hour!  I was surprised that there were entries from all over the country, so there must be lots of enthusiastic alpine growers around.  May be niche but very popular!"

Unfortunately, I am never able to visit the AGS East Anglia Show as the date always clashes with our very own SRGC Glasgow Show.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Martinr

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »
I think I may have chatted to your sister. Certainly a lady picked up on my accent and was asking about the geographic spread of exhibitors. She also seemed to know the Glasgow area fairly well when she asked where I came from. She seemed a little relieved I'd only driven from Derby :)

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
That is quite likely, Martin.  She was amazed when I said that I had driven down from north of Glasgow to the Newcastle Show last autumn!  Of course Glasgow and several other Scottish Shows benefit hugely from quite an influx of English exhibitors.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
That Trillium hibbersonii looks a giant compared to my own plants - now only three flowering  :'(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal