We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 25013 times)

Parsla

Re: August 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
Hi Fermi, Yes it is - and very much looking forward to the upcoming garden visit to Redesdale   :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:57 AM »
Thanks for that information David, re H. 'Anna's Red.' I'm sure you're absolutely right. It has been introduced here from an import then. No attribution has been given to the ACTUAL breeder, which is rude and all the publicity about it doesn't actually say but still gives the impression that it's local. so sorry about that. A couple of people have asked me so I'll be careful to get it right in future. It's a stunning plant. From the foliage it looks as if there may be some H. niger in there somewhere?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2015, 12:22:00 AM »
And thanks too, to Maggi and Gail and the link with the Hellebore thread which I hadn't caught up with this year. It seems Mary Keen isn't a fan of the "new and different." Fair enough. Love your 'Tinkerbell' Tim. ;)

Maddening that some are able to import while the little people can't. I guess 'Anna's Red' came in as sterile, in vitro stuff.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:43 AM »
Mel, uploading pictures is very easy. When you go to the Reply box, there's a line underneath the box saying Attachments and other options. Click on that and Attach comes up with Choose file - No file chosen. Click Choose file and you'll get My Pictures. (Well, I do anyway) Choose the one you want and click Open. The file must be not larger than 200 kbs so you may need to downsize them first. Then you can add further pictures up to 5 if you want to, then click Post. Works for me. :)

Maggi could have explained this succinctly in 5 words! ;D

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:51 AM »
Hi Jacqui great to see you posting. When's the first picture coming?

I have a few scillas for the day:

Scilla ingridae - I think this is from Rannweg Wallis and maybe it came as S. bifolia ssp taurica or S. siberica ssp taurica.

Scilla tubergeniana - good old commercial stock.

Scilla siberica Zanegur Strain - from Janis

Cheers, Marcus
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:26:43 AM by Hillview croconut »

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2015, 02:03:16 AM »
Jamus , you are an artist with your camera - I hesitate to post any of my inferior photos in future .

Lesley ,great photos of your Snowdrops in pots . I have been growing 'S. Arnott' for the last 50 0dd years and it increases with great speed . Here it is three times as tall here -must be the temperate rain forest climate . Here both Helleborus 'Anna's Red  and 'Penny's Pink' are available - great plants . My Iris ret. 'Cantab' is slightly different to yours , so who has got the correct one ? mine have just finished flowering .

Viv , love your Asphodelus acaulis . Here Crocus tommasinianus has multiplied to thousands in so many different shades of pink/mauve/purple , it has become a weed but a nice one . shown is a much darker form than yours .

Crocus tommasinianus. dark
    Garden view
    Crocus tommasinianus
    Colchicum diampolis
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:06:13 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:28 AM »
Otto don't be silly! We all want to see what you have happening in your garden. Absolutely nothing wrong with the last lot, I love the view across your snowdrop beds. Crocus Colchicum diampolis is stunning even when closed. Such a pure white. I have LOTS of interesting seed germinating at the moment. I'll take pictures later and put them on the germinating now thread.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:06:42 AM by Maggi Young »
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Jupiter

« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »

I have to show you guys this.. Fritillaria acmopetala seed collected from my own plants and sown fresh, germinating now 17 months later!

And how about this, Fritillaria conica seed from Marcus.

And most exciting of all, Fritillaria recurva!

It's a great time of year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »
Mel, uploading pictures is very easy. When you go to the Reply box, there's a line underneath the box saying Attachments and other options. Click on that and Attach comes up with Choose file - No file chosen. Click Choose file and you'll get My Pictures. (Well, I do anyway) Choose the one you want and click Open. The file must be not larger than 200 kbs so you may need to downsize them first. Then you can add further pictures up to 5 if you want to, then click Post. Works for me. :)

Maggi could have explained this succinctly in 5 words! ;D

You've done a great job there, Lesley!   With the new automatic resizing feature it is even easier but if the original files are VERYlarge they may slow your progress down a bit, or gum up your connection!   All this is explained in the appropriate section, Mel  : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=65.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
Jamus, well done!  Nothing beats a few trays of seedlings.   

Otto I think Colchicum diampolis has sadly been made a synonym of C. szovitsii. I don't think the Bulgarians would be impressed with one of their endemics disappearing from their national flora.

Cheers,  M
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:04:57 PM by Hillview croconut »

vivienne Condon

« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
Welcome Jacqui to the forum.
Ashley thank you for agreeing with me I have often thought that they were not the same but had never voiced it before.
Otto have you not got Aspodelus acaulis I will dig mine in the garden when it finishes flowering, it likes being divided it is one of those plants that goes backwards when left alone.  I have not forgotten the Cyclamen coum (Gordons) either.
Isn't it a joy to grow plants from seed Jamus, it is so rewarding.

Parsla

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
Hi Marcus,

Your scilla siberica really is the business. Such a clear azure.

and Viv, thank you for being so welcoming.

I'll try to upload some photos taken last few days (some of dubious quality).

The first is of the very first bud on the hepatica japonica you kindly entrusted to my care (Marcus).

Then, fritillaria thunbergii 'neath the mulberry, allium neapolitanum and next a rather dilapidated onixotis. The gorgeous finale is narcissus cyclaminus "hint of green" very kindly gifted by Otto.

Lets see if i can attach them… (the preview option seems to do nothing so fingers crossed…)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:26 PM »
Well done Jacquie!  The preview doesn't show the images, so don't worry!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
Jamus,

Fritillaria recurva is a beauty! It looks like you are off to a great start. Somewhere I have a photograph of thousands of this species blooming in Plumas County, California. There had been a fire the previous year that had thinned the forest canopy and brought in more light to the forest floor. They certainly liked that.

Fantastic plants, everyone.  8)  I wish we had such variety around here.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Jupiter

« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
Robert, I hope I get Frit. recurva to flower. I've only seen it in pictures thus far and I'm already smitten.

Parsla (Jacqui?), welcome to the forum. New to this place but not new to gardening I take it? Nice plants you're growing In your garden. It's great to have more Australians about, pity not more from Adelaide tho!

Marcus I think this is Scilla hyacinthoides. Whatdayareckon?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:18:38 PM by Jupiter »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal