We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 24273 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: August 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »
Thanks for posting a nice pic of the garden, Jacqui!
Here's a close-up of the bed in the foreground - mostly daffodils from Canberra ;D
We had 29 visitors to the garden yesterday - not a huge number, but considering some had travelled 3 hours we were quite pleased to see so many.
The weather was kind to us, not too cold and not wet - though we could do with the rain!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
For women, the pensionable age (for state pension) has increased from 60 (it's currently 63, I think) and for both men and women it will be 65 by November 2018; 66 in 2020 and 68 after that. It is currently £115.95 a week.

I'm 62 years old -  the pension age  in the UK has, as Anthony said, been being stretched out for some time now - I will get my  pension in November 2017, when I will be past 64.    #sigh#
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mini-daffs

« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
 ;D ;D
Hi
Fermi, we have lots of things that are more than suitable for rock gardens here in Canberra that would greatly appreciate a trip south! You could also have a special split cup and double section for Lesley!! ::)
Graham, Canberra, Australia

melager

« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
Yes I saw part of your order at Hokonui last week Lesley   ;D .Lou, always the sales person, suggested I purchase another couple of plants to top your order however I was already at my max   :'( ....... Superannuation must pay well !. ;)

It would be terrific if an article/s on alpines/small bulbs appeared in the NZ Gardener especially with a mention within of the local alpine garden clubs around.

Here's a potful of Iris winogradowii , 8 blooms with 1 yet to open. Rescued from the garden a few years back where it had declined, if I remember correctly, to a couple of bulbs .Enough in numbers now to try it again elsewhere in the garden proper.       

Stunning iris Dave, have not had tgat for years, one of the many stunners I gave away when not well, but fun to start again collecting, I did a biggish order as well frkm Hokanui and away tgere in a few weeks to add to it hopfully
Had a fantastic time at Leslies getting some super wee treasures

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2015, 11:21:53 PM »
For women, the pensionable age (for state pension) has increased from 60 (it's currently 63, I think) and for both men and women it will be 65 by November 2018; 66 in 2020 and 68 after that. It is currently £115.95 a week.

At present exchange rates Anthony, it's about that amount per fortnight, a bit more if living alone. A couple doesn't get twice what a solo person gets.

While our largest opposition party is talking about extending eligibility for state pensions to 67 (for both sexes) our current PM (ever mindful of next election's votes) is against that. What would make a real difference to better government in this country is a four or even five year term of office. Three years leaves all politicians afraid to make hard decisions no matter how right they would be for the country.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:26:18 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »
Fermi, thanks for your PM, a quick reply sent off. Could you split your trip and be here also for Oct 3/4 for OAGG SHOW!!! then again for the 15th ?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
Thanks Marcus and Jaqui for your comments and pictures. Interesting to see the white-flowered form of Primula vulgaris grown from wild collected seed. I was under the impression that most wild primroses were cream or yellow.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

vivienne Condon

« Reply #262 on: August 31, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
I loved seeing your Iris winogradowii Dave seldom seen here in Australia now.
Marcus Crocus olivieri ssp balansae from 2010 lovely wide striped leaves and seems a strong grower, I think this is one of your collections from Greece?

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
Also, congratulations on your potential fame and fortune as a garden correspondent.

Well we can all claim we knew and appreciated her before the elevation 8)
All the best with it Lesley - just don't do a Miley Cyrus on us will you? :-X ;) ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
Well we can all claim we knew and appreciated her before the elevation 8)
All the best with it Lesley - just don't do a Miley Cyrus on us will you? :-X ;) ;D
Winter going out with a blast. Driving rain tonight. First day of spring tomorrow. Oaks already in leaf. Anyone around the Med able to collect me some Kermes acorns?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
My Tropaeolum tricolor(tricolorum) are starting to get going here with the warmer spring weather we've been having. It was 19°C yesterday and they are forecasting 20°C for today, ahead of a stormy change tomorrow.

The garden is changing so fast now. Every night I come home from work and it place looks different. The speed of change is quite amazing.

Jacqui I picked up Helleborus niger locally at a nursery here called Tupello grove. Ian Powell, the nurseryman there has a good selection of hellebores and other interesting woodlanders. He carries a good selection of Epimedium too... but I've had mixed success with those so far. I'm learning how to grow them.

Here are some pictures of the new limestone beds for oncocyclus irises! I've worked on the area over the past couple of weekends and it's coming along well I think...

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
Thanks so much Ashley. May turn out to be a fizzer. The Editor lady was going to email me when back in her office Monday. No word yet though. Fingers crossed. :)

Parsla

« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
Gosh, Jamus, is your back aching? Looks great though.

For the uninitiated (me), how far down do the pebbles go and what is the composition beneath?

Jacqui.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2015, 12:32:11 AM »
Hi Viv, yes the crocus comes from Greece. The Aegean Islands top be more precise and I think it might be found on the Turkisk coast. If it's from me then it will be from Samos

David,, my camera work might have misled you.  My primula is in fact a pale cream. I did find a colony of pale blue ones up near the Bulgarian border once but I can't locate them again. John Richsrds, in book, Flowery Walks on the Greek Mainland writes of pink flowers around Mt Vermion and Tria Pigada but all the plants I have grown from there have been stock standard cream and pale yellow.

Jamus, what a marvellous effort.  And all those oncos, wow! Can't wait to see the flowers.

No warm weather here,  just the same old icebox conditions. Did I mention it's officially the coldest winter for fifty years?

Cheers,  M
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:36:13 AM by Hillview croconut »

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2015, 12:53:28 AM »

Jacqui - the pebble mulch is quite deep, an inch to a couple of inches. Beneath is a mix of my own invention. 3 parts fine quartz gravel, 2 parts sharp sand, 2 parts crushed limestone rock, 1 part sandy loam and one part fine dolomite rock. Added a little FCRD (Fisher creek rock dust, and builders lime). The pH is around 7.5 and its water holding capacity is only 10%. Sounds a bit technical, I'm sorry but that's my style I guess.

Back isn't sore. I am quite physical and quite used to this kind of work. Shoveled probably a ton of gravel and sand on the weekend. I feel great! (I'm only 41, still a young pup).
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal