We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 12598 times)

meanie

Re: August 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Hi Maggy,

Like so many of my plants I grow them in large pots.  Last winter I stored the pots in the barn where they only experienced mild frost.  If the weather had gone too cold I always have the possibility to cover the pots with a thick lawer of straw of 2 bales of straw , which must be something like a3 to 4 feet thick blanket of straw, enough to preserve them from frost.

Right now the only "exotics" I grow in the open are some Eucomis and some crinum and 2 banana trees. :o
Nice Hedychium!
I've found H.gardnerianum hardy here but not a hope in hell with Eucomis. I've lost every one that I've tried. It has to be a matter of finding the correct spot as I now find Tradescantia pallida hardy in several spots here.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

brianw

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
Nice Hedychium!
I've found H.gardnerianum hardy here but not a hope in hell with Eucomis. I've lost every one that I've tried. It has to be a matter of finding the correct spot as I now find Tradescantia pallida hardy in several spots here.

Interesting, as ~50 east of you in south Bucks, I have never risked the Hedychium outside but never thought that my Eucomis might not survive. I have numerous bulbs of the run of the mill smelly types (comosa, bicolor?) grown from seed that I dug up from thick clumps from another garden, there is a small white one in a neighbours garden for the last 3 years or so, and my "Sparkling Burgundy" seems very happy here, with another less imposing variety nearby.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
This is a nice Hemerocallis; the label says Hemerocallis yezoensis, which it clearly is not - unknown cultivar then!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 10:06:37 AM »
Pyrola rotundifolia, not the best picture but first time flowering for me.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

meanie

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »
Interesting, as ~50 east of you in south Bucks, I have never risked the Hedychium outside but never thought that my Eucomis might not survive. I have numerous bulbs of the run of the mill smelly types (comosa, bicolor?) grown from seed that I dug up from thick clumps from another garden, there is a small white one in a neighbours garden for the last 3 years or so, and my "Sparkling Burgundy" seems very happy here, with another less imposing variety nearby.
Re the H.gardnerianum - the person (on another forum) who sent it me assured me that it would be hardy and that if I lost it he would send me more. I still have the original (truly huge) tubers he sent me so he was correct.

Eucomis - as I say it has to be a matter of finding the correct spot I think. As I say T.pallida is proving hardy in three spots around the garden.
Could the "small white one" be E.autumnalis?

That one has been hardy but the slugs and snails find it before I do!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

François Lambert

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
Nice Hedychium!

I haven't yet taken the risk to loose my Hedychium Gardnerianum to a severe frost.  Although I have discovered that mine has kept all his leaves over this winter (temps down to a few °C below zero) while stored in the barn (but I placed the pot outside when the weather allowed it).  The result is quite nice, having leaves already in spring it's growing to unseen heights right now with many more stems than ever before.  I might devide the rhizome next year and plant a few in the open to see what will happen.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

brianw

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »

Could the "small white one" be E.autumnalis?

That one has been hardy but the slugs and snails find it before I do!
Could very well be. Looks and smells as I recall mine used to before I lost it one winter when the pot was left out unprotected one winter. This clump started with a ring of 6-8" flower stems a few years back, but is now 20-30 small plants with no more flowers. Eucomis in general seem to benefit from deep planting to minimise splitting, but you still have to lift and divide every so often.
I noticed another 7 or 8 pots lost in an overgrown corner of my garden that are presumably E. comosa type. Some even in flower, and they have not been touched or protected for 2 years or more.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

K-D Keller

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
Flowering now, part 1:

Acis autumnalis, Acis rosea, Byblis filifolia, Campanula alsinoides and Campanula myrtifolia in a hole of a tuff.

South Germany, 270 m.

K-D Keller

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
Flowering now, part 2:

Campanula cochleariifolia, Cyananthus microphyllus, Leuchtenbergia princips,  Symphyandra cretica and Veronica telephiifolia.

Symphyandra cretica has a very long duration of flowering, for me a really good alpine plant.
South Germany, 270 m.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
Acis autumnalis pulchella first to flower
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
KD do you grow your  Campanula myrtifolia under glass? same for Symphyandra cretica.
Outside they always rotted, even in tuffa, under my climate.
North of France

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »
Papaver rupifragum - a beauty just for a few hours!

Gerd
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:16:33 AM by Gerdk »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

K-D Keller

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »
Yann, the Campanula myrtifolia is under glas. The Symphyandra cretica is in a trough without any protection. Since three years it survived without any damage.

South Germany, 270 m.

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »
Papaver rupifragum - a beauty just for a few hours!

Gerd
But a plant gives a lot of flowers and selfseeds freely, so providing a constant display. I have had it for many years and now know the name. Thank you, Gerd
in Moscow

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:05 PM »
Read about this plant but never seen it until visiting Peter and Gill Regan's garden a few days ago - Lysimachia paridiformis. The resemblance to Paris is really uncanny, a good example of convergant evolution. Fascinating plant - high on the wish list!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal