We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 20814 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: September 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
Your wife is clearly a lady of taste, Robert! White C. hederifolium are always so pretty- we love them here, too - they are often the first of the hederifolium to flower.

Maggi,

My wife is also an angel.  :)  Me, Bias.  ;D  This little Cyclamen always lifts our spirits. I am glad that she encouraged me to post them. We appreciate its simple beauty in our garden.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:51:40 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »
"simple beauty"  - yes, that's the  secret isn't it?  This pure white flower, elegantly shaped and quite small, with pretty foliage- unassuming in stature but breath-taking in its loveliness  . magical, really.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »
Very pretty Robert! Greetings to your wife ;)
None of my cyclamens have showed so far but it is still mild.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

meanie

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
Some Salvia.............
S.patens has had a good year..............

Black and Blue has been so so..............

S.atrocyanea is becoming something of a gem in my eyes.............

This S.urica has done well enough in some shade..........

S.miltiorrhiza has been a bit of a star this year.............

The first Tricyrtis of the year (so very late) is Taiwan Adbane..............

Tulbaghia violacea is still in flower - I'm usually harvesting the seeds now!

And finally, Impatiens kilimanjari...............
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Robert

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »
Meanie,

It is very nice to see all the Salvias on your postings this season. Here the drought has taken its toll on the water loving species. Species such as S. patens, S. gauranitica, etc. are surviving, barely, and that is about it.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
Meanie,

It is very nice to see all the Salvias on your postings this season. Here the drought has taken its toll on the water loving species. Species such as S. patens, S. gauranitica, etc. are surviving, barely, and that is about it.
Rain is one thing I've had plenty of this year! Sunlight and warmth however have been totally absent  :(

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2015, 02:44:53 AM »
Out today and a big advance for us as standard Nerine bowdenii will not be in flower till November at best. And this one's more winter hardy as well!

Nerine bowdenii ssp. wellsii ex AGS seed 1993 Harry Hay, cw Mont aux Sources, SA.  Thanks to GerdK for that seed in December 2008.

johnw - +20c @ 22:39
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:15:30 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Robert

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »
We are in our 4th year of drought. These are a few plants that I found interesting today.

>1 Salvia 'Bee's Bliss' - It has been in the ground about 20 years now. I have watered it about once a month this summer. It thrives on this watering schedule. It is said to be tender to frost below 20-25 F (-6.5 to -4 C). It has been completely hardy for us even at 18 F (-8 C). Salvia clevelandii shows sighs of frost stress below 20 F (-6.5 C), however it always recovers.

>2 Salvia sonomensis - I planted some seedlings out in the late spring, watered them a few times. After that they received no irrigation at all for the remainder of the summer. They are all doing fine. One even bloomed!

>3 Eschscholzia caespitosa - With this annual I leave a few as "tumble weeds" to spread their seeds around. There were also the annuals Leptosiphon (Linanathus) bicolor and Platystemon californicus, Cream Cups in this area. I am hoping that they will return next spring too.

>4 Wyethia reticulata - Two good looking plants ready to be planted out in the dry garden this fall. I feel sure that there will be flowers next spring/summer. Of coarse, I will not need to irrigate them.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
We are in our 4th year of drought. These are a few plants that I found interesting today.

>1 Salvia 'Bee's Bliss' - It has been in the ground about 20 years now. I have watered it about once a month this summer. It thrives on this watering schedule. It is said to be tender to frost below 20-25 F (-6.5 to -4 C). It has been completely hardy for us even at 18 F (-8 C). Salvia clevelandii shows sighs of frost stress below 20 F (-6.5 C), however it always recovers.

>2 Salvia sonomensis - I planted some seedlings out in the late spring, watered them a few times. After that they received no irrigation at all for the remainder of the summer. They are all doing fine. One even bloomed!

>3 Eschscholzia caespitosa - With this annual I leave a few as "tumble weeds" to spread their seeds around.

Respect to your Salvias for hanging in there. What I love about growing them is that as you get "in the loop" with other growers the choice of seed really opens up. Growing from seed allows me to experiment - three S.urica have been disappointing this year compared to last year but the one that I tried in a different spot has really done well. SL411 has been a disappointment in terms of blooms but I reckon that in a good suller it'll make an outstanding plant.

The Eschscholzia caespitosa that you sent me have grown well but steadfastly refused to bloom  ???

The following was a bit of a surprise when I took the plants off of the top shelf of the greenhouse yesterday - Calydorea (Cypella) amabilis................

The reason that it caught me out is that the seed was only sown in January so the last thing that I was expecting were flowers.

Pauli

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
Androsace lanuginosa flowering quite well here after a hot and rather dry summer
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »
Contrasting red & blue, Philesia magellanica and Gentiana sino-ornata.
Both in flower in the same raised "peatbed".

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:27:42 PM by Steve Garvie »
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2015, 06:42:19 PM »
Man Utd v Man City ;D Lovely stuff Steve.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tristan_He

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2015, 09:16:56 PM »
It's a bit of an odd September here. A mixture of things that should be out in spring re-flowering, probably due to a mix of a wet summer and being transplanted (I had to move much of my rockery this spring to a new location due to terminal weed infestation). Here are a few of the things flowering at the 'wrong' time of year.

Scutellaria sevanensis, from Plant World seed. I really like this plant.

Primula auricula - I think this variety is called 'Old Mustard'.

Campanula x pulloides 'G.F. Wilson'. Personally I don't think this looks much like C. pulla. Nice plant though!

Erodium chrysanthum. I like this yellow form much more than the salmony pink variant. It needs regular division or it will fizzle out.

Tristan_He

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2015, 09:33:39 PM »
Here are some of the usual September suspects. Not many of them have any business on a rock gardens forum, but I like them!

Agapanthus sp. from Silverhill seeds, label long since lost. Bone hardy on our North Wales hilside though, and a good flowerer even though it doesn't get much sun.

Rudbeckia fulgida - probably 'Goldsturm'. I love the vibrancy of these late autumn daisies, and they are great for insects too.

Japanese anemones. Really these are in far too good a spot in the garden, and I regularly threaten to dig them all up so I can put some choicer plants there. But how can you dig something up that produces this?

Peacock butterfly, feeding up on nectar so it can survive the winter.

Aster x herveyi 'Twilight', a great plant for dry shade. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:35:56 PM by Tristan_He »

Tristan_He

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2015, 09:45:34 PM »

Nepeta subsessilis, two forms from seed, again from Plant World. I prefer the blue form - the pink is a bit washed out for me.

Colchicum sp. again label lost but possibly pannonicum? I'm very fond of Colchicums but in our wet climate they do really need to be grown in grass so the flowers don't flop. And to be honest, I find many of the various forms a bit same-y. Still, with the dew on them like this on a beautiful autumn morning, they are very hard to beat.

Campanula pyramidalis 'Alba'. Unfortunately I have only two seedlings and only one is flowering this year - as they seem to be self-incompatible I'm going to have to sow some more. Beautiful thing though. We saw the wild blue form growing in Slovenia in very rocky limestone habitats.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal