We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11124 times)

Parsla

Re: November 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »
Hi Jamus,

it's shadbush, rather than sadbush,  but loads of common names. I assumed because it is happy in shade, which it seems to be.

I only have a quarter acre block Jamus, just shockingly over planted. In a few years I may have to cull a few things but at present I just enjoy the crowdedness. My friend phoebe, who is a landscape designer, shakes her head at the folly. So you too can put in all the shrubs you like  :)
And keep your truly wonderful rock work.

Marcus the salvia came from David Glenn and the scabiosa from the boys at antique perennials. The latter self seeds very freely, or did before the unspeakables et all the flower heads, but I may be able to find something for you.  ;)

Jacqui.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2015, 02:27:54 AM »
We need Robert or someone else from his part of the world to explain "when the Shad are running" which is went the Amelanchier is in flower (or fruit, I can't remember)! It possibly relates to fish :-\
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2015, 05:39:47 AM »
My current fave flower, Weldenia candida, courtesy of Otto a few years ago,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Parsla

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2015, 05:57:49 AM »
Thanks Fermi, i didn't know that about shad. i'll have to investigate.

i love your C weldenia. I have one too but its only just sticking its nose up now. How are yours so advanced?
What i don't love about it is that when i repot it is like a huge tarantula underground. it looks horrible! Last year was not so bad as it had divided itself in two and both smaller. didn't expect that. Nice to have 2 though...

1. Allium heldreichii - thank you kindly Marcus  :D
2. One of the japanese cultivars of Hydrangea serrata prolifera from Lynn McG. Prettier every year. It grows happily in heavy shade.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »

I love your Hydrangea serrata prolifera. What lovely simple blooms. And that Allium is such an intense colour. Beats the pink ones I have flowering at the moment.
I am planting shrubs, quite a few have gone in this year. Shockingly over planted is an apt description of my place too!
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
David,

Are you going to do selective breeding with the PCI or just selection of the best seedlings from the many seedlings you have grown on? (and there are some good ones)

exploring the native habitat of I. munzii is high on my list of projects.
Anyway, I am impressed with some of the selections you have made. From the photographs I see, I should not be surprised. horticulture is taken to a new level of excellence in your part of the world.
Thank you (all) for sharing photographs from your gardens. Things are sleepy here with frosty mornings and low snow levels.

Thanks Robert
Yes we grow some plants well ,unfortunately some of the introductions have escaped and become major weeds as has happened elsewhere around the world......

Not interested in breeding PCIs at the moment as space is at a premium here so will probably select a small selection of the best seedlings to keep in the garden and give the rest away .......
Can't wait to see the results of you exploring the native habitat of I. munzii .

i love your C weldenia.
What i don't love about it is that when i repot it is like a huge tarantula underground. it looks horrible!.

Jacqui at a superficial glance when dividing Weldenias they remind me of Alstromerias (shudder) !  .....of which I've just tried recently to eradicate from a garden plot .Thankfully the Weldenia is far more restrained.   :D
If you are 'put off' by digging them up I've found Weldenias strike easily from side stem cuttings taken in Feb/March ....
Here's a couple of pictures which I've shown before from back in 2010 showing the cuttings and tuberous root forming a few weeks later in autumn .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:41:11 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
We need Robert or someone else from his part of the world to explain "when the Shad are running" which is went the Amelanchier is in flower (or fruit, I can't remember)! It possibly relates to fish :-\
cheers
fermi

The Shad run in the American River ( the river draining our watershed) in May. Our local Amelanchier species bloom a bit later in the season, but then the grow at the higher elevations in the Sierra Nevada. No Shad spawning when the Amelanchier are in fruit.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Jupiter

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2015, 03:38:31 AM »

Fermi your Weldenia candida is absolutely beautiful. I can see why its your favourite, it's so pure and simple in its form and colour. I suppose it likes cool, wet woodland conditions?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Fermi your Weldenia candida is absolutely beautiful. I can see why its your favourite, it's so pure and simple in its form and colour. I suppose it likes cool, wet woodland conditions?

Absolutely NOT Jamus. The Weldenia is a native of Mexico and Guatemala (The clone we all have is from Mexico) and is quite hardy even here in the colder parts of the country. Most, if not all in Australia and NZ came from a plant I brought back from the UK in 1991 and it's wonderful that it's spread around now. It likes full sun and good drainage and can stand drought though likes watering when in full growth.

Can't let Fermi steal all the limelight. Here are a couple of pics from a year or two ago. The flowers usually last only for a day, especially if the weather is warm but are replaced for several weeks. One year I removed all the spent flowers and counted them. Over 2000 for the season!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jupiter

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »

That's really stunning Lesley, thanks for the info and the pics. I'm definitely going to look for that one and give it a try here.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
Jamus,
You need to get to Olinda for "The Bunfight" ;D
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Jupiter

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
Yeah one day fermi, not much chance of that any time soon. I'm so busy with work and family that if we do get a weekend away it has to be something for everyone, not just for me, which usually means a trip to kangaroo island to see my Dad. We'll see about next September...

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2015, 05:39:47 AM »
While I didn't get round to repotting this Oxalis last season I remembered to give it a feed. Seems to have worked ...... ;D

Unfortunately some of the flowers are past their best .

Oxalis  'Ione Hecker' .

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Jupiter

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 06:25:51 AM »

Magnificent Dave, really impressive. I would love to grow that one, and I know Otto had it but lost it.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2015, 09:59:32 AM »
Magnificent Dave, really impressive. I would love to grow that one, and I know Otto had it but lost it.

Thanks Jamus
It needs to be released from its pot . Oxalis enneaphylla alba is also in flower here at the moment in a trough so maybe I should plant them together ....

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal