We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 8408 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: November 2015 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
I've got a lot of 'the other bits' too ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »
Some more Autumn colour and still more to come.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »
and more

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 09:41:55 PM »
plus

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
plus

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:54:33 PM by johngennard »

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
finally
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:53:51 PM by johngennard »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 11:20:59 AM »
John - luscious, luscious colour there. You are definitely getting the full benefit of autumn in those leaves.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

meanie

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
The first of November and yet today was a cracking day in West Fife with clear blue skies and a temperature of 16C. In the early afternoon it was warmer than many of the days we endured in July.
I had a few butterflies in the garden along with a very late Common Darter. Some of my wife's Salvias were still flowering as is Lobelia tupa -a spike of which is nearly 8 feet tall (as we are yet to experience a frost this autumn).

What is the last Salvia? Looks interesting.

Steve it's amazing to me that you have Lobelia tupa flowering there and I have it flowering here... on the other side of the World (almost). i guess it has a very long flowering period? I have some spikes just developing and others in full bloom. Did yours start in late spring too? Or is it later in your cooler climate?

I mulch mine with pine needles and it is growing well by mid April flowering from June till the frost arrives.

Salvia SL411 has so much potential to be a good'un but it isn't quite delivering................

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 06:10:55 AM »
Meanie,

Have you every grown the California annual, Thistle Sage, Salvia carduacea?

This coming season will be my first try with this species. I think that I have high hope for it.....and I do hope that it delivers!

I have to admit that I have grown a few Salvias that did not deliver. Except down at our Sacramento Valley bungalow, I have given up on the frost tender Salvia species. Too much effort getting them through the winter here at the farm where we are already having freezing temperatures at night. That still leaves plenty of cold hardy Salvia species to grow. Having said all of that, I convinced myself to buy a plant of Salvia leucophylla the other day. I am always tempted by the fragrant foliage. I do hope that it makes it through the winter. I lost a small S. clevelandii that I planted last autumn to the winter cold. The old established S. clevelandii went through the winter without any sign of damage at all. Maybe I will protect S. leucophylla this winter. An established plant will survive most winters here at the farm.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Hi Meanie,
I'm sorry but I haven't a clue as to the name of the blue-flowered Salvia. My wife seems to delight in binning plant labels at the earliest opportunity.  :o
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
Some plants in flower here:

Crocus laevigatus SL165
Fuchsia 'Radings Michelle'
Iris planifolia
Colchicum cupanii
and Crocus speciosus 'Pollux'

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
Or some nice Cyclamen hederifolium leaves...
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

meanie

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
Meanie,

Have you every grown the California annual, Thistle Sage, Salvia carduacea?

This coming season will be my first try with this species. I think that I have high hope for it.....and I do hope that it delivers!

I have to admit that I have grown a few Salvias that did not deliver. Except down at our Sacramento Valley bungalow, I have given up on the frost tender Salvia species. Too much effort getting them through the winter here at the farm where we are already having freezing temperatures at night. That still leaves plenty of cold hardy Salvia species to grow. Having said all of that, I convinced myself to buy a plant of Salvia leucophylla the other day. I am always tempted by the fragrant foliage. I do hope that it makes it through the winter. I lost a small S. clevelandii that I planted last autumn to the winter cold. The old established S. clevelandii went through the winter without any sign of damage at all. Maybe I will protect S. leucophylla this winter. An established plant will survive most winters here at the farm.

Good point - I have seed for  Salvia carduacea somewhere!
I must admit that I enjoy the frost tender and winter blooming species the most just for the challenge. They can be fickle (especially some of the Mexican species) but that is half the fun  :DFor example, the winter bloomer S.gesneriiflora enjoyed the rubbish summer and bloomed deep into the year but the summer blooming S.confertiflora is just budding up.
S.lasianthe is budding up now and fingers crossed for a mild winter which it should enjoy in an unheated greenhouse.

Hi Meanie,
I'm sorry but I haven't a clue as to the name of the blue-flowered Salvia. My wife seems to delight in binning plant labels at the earliest opportunity.  :o
That's a shame as it looks interesting. It looks like an S.microphylla/greggii/x jamensis that has the colours of S.guaranitica "Black and Blue".

First flowers on another Tibouchina urvilleana cutting...............

Tender but fun (to me anyway)...............

The Deppea splendens buds look good but boy are they slow forming..............

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
meanie,

It is so mild at our Sacramento Valley bungalow that Tibouchina urvilleana grows right outside by our kitchen window. Blooms almost all year.

I wish that we had more room in the Sacramento garden. Years ago I grew Salvia confertiflora. Another huge shrub like S. gesneriiflora. It was always a fall - winter bloomer for us, generally starting before S. gesneriiflora which we considered winter blooming.

I still like growing forms of S. splendens from seed (only the large growing forms, I do not like the bedding types). They will sometimes survive the winter in Sacramento. S. splendens 'Vanhouttei' is a beautiful clonal form. I finally lost it when I forgot to take cuttings and the plants planted outside all froze.  :'(  Oh well   ::)  Maybe I will find Vanhouttei again. I do like it and it is perfect for our Sacramento garden that seems subtropical.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »
meanie,

It is so mild at our Sacramento Valley bungalow that Tibouchina urvilleana grows right outside by our kitchen window. Blooms almost all year.
Show off!!!!  ;D

I wish that we had more room in the Sacramento garden. Years ago I grew Salvia confertiflora. Another huge shrub like S. gesneriiflora. It was always a fall - winter bloomer for us, generally starting before S. gesneriiflora which we considered winter blooming.

I still like growing forms of S. splendens from seed (only the large growing forms, I do not like the bedding types). They will sometimes survive the winter in Sacramento. S. splendens 'Vanhouttei' is a beautiful clonal form. I finally lost it when I forgot to take cuttings and the plants planted outside all froze.  :'(  Oh well   ::)  Maybe I will find Vanhouttei again. I do like it and it is perfect for our Sacramento garden that seems subtropical.  :)
S.confertiflora is usually blooming by August here.
I have seed for the true S.splendens which grow to a good two metres plus here in the UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal