We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2016  (Read 55804 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: Cyclamen 2016
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
I agree it is tilebarn Anne.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »
... I grow several dark forms including Jan bravenboers dark purple which is almost black. ...

Having recently planted out a batch of 1-year seedlings I'm really looking forward to seeing them flower in due course.
Germination of this and other seed from JB was close to 100% so the quality is excellent.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Graeme

« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »
Having recently planted out a batch of 1-year seedlings I'm really looking forward to seeing them flower in due course.
Germination of this and other seed from JB was close to 100% so the quality is excellent.
I have some seedlings from red forms and dark forms which are now a year old - cannot wait to see the flowers
Been all day today in the alpine house where all my cyclamen are - found a tray full of cyclamen intminatum in flower under one of the benches - label said sown 2006 from own seed......... I still have the plant the seed came off and it must be 6" across - not flowered that well this year
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Bart

« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
Hi Bart
 I noticed that the tips of the petals on your dark hederifolium are bleached out. This is not a critism just an observation. I grow several dark forms including Jan bravenboers dark purple which is almost black. I used to suffer with the same thing. It is caused by exposure to bright light or direct sunlight. I moved my plants to a much shadier place several years ago and the problem never reoccoured. Hope this helps.

Hi Pat, that's interesting. I've had this one for years, and have moved it around, but not with the purpose of getting rid of the white tips. I thought it was a rather special feature! Might try it in a more shaded environment next year. I have one offspring planted in the 'woodland patch', and I think it has bleached tops too, but I will have to check.
I have some batches of Jan Bravenboers 'extreme dark purple' flowering first time this year, but so far none of them are any darker than this' ruby Glow' one...

[/
Bart the tilebarn Nicholas - did you buy that or grow from seed - as it looks like most of the plants I have as tilebarn anne?

the Nicholas I had (lost this year) has a christmas tree leaf more like a coum
quote]
[/
I agree it is tilebarn Anne.
quote]

Ok that's useful to know, thanks.
I keep a list of all the seed I get from different sources , and guess what, neither of them are listed in my records! :)
Typical. This must be SRGC seed from some 4-5?years ago. I will have to delve into my old magazines and see if I made a note. But for now I'll re-label it, and keep an eye on its brothers and sisters for a christmas tree.

I spotted another curious hederifolium today with silver leaves, and absurdly tiny flowers. For comparison I stuck a 'normal' white flower from a plant in the garden in the pot:
549626-0
Hederifolium  tiny

It is perhaps not that clear in the picture, but the biggest flower of the tiny plant is 10mm, as opposed to 24mm for the normal one.

Anyone an idea if this is a named variety, or just a seasonal variation?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:31:19 PM by Bart »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »
Cyclamen rohlfsianum today.

john - sunny, 25c, humidity 46%
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ThomasHe

« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2016, 07:41:59 PM »
Hello
i was two month ago in a Gardencenter and saw some Cyclamen. As really don't know this species i asked somebody from the Center if they are winter hard? She told me they don't bother snow but don't like cold. I said aha and bought one.
Could please anyone tell me what i have bought.
Thank you very much, Thomas

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:52:18 PM by Maggi Young »

ThomasHe

« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
some other species i have and don't know what it is. It had white Flowers.

Bart

« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
Hi Thomas, they look like the miniature florists' C. persicum to me. Some have a fab scent!

Maggi/ someone else, I don't know what went wrong with my previous post, but my own text came as part of a quote. Tried to edit it, but thought better of it...
Came across this sunny picture of C. graecum:

549952-0

Cyclamen graecum

ThomasHe

« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
Thank you very much Bart. So you think both of them are C.persicum ? I am asking because of the second one i took some seed and i have seedlings from them. So it's soon time to take them in the House.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:22:08 PM by ThomasHe »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:54 PM »
Such things happen, Bart - often to me!  Luckily the readers generally work it out for themselves!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

François Lambert

« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
Hi Thomas, they look like the miniature florists' C. persicum to me. Some have a fab scent!

Indeed, I grow 2 different colours of these.  One pale pink that has the power to perfume a whole room, another dark pink that has no smell at all.  They respond badly to a summer rest (one died upon receiving a dry summer rest -  but I have seedlings of that one), so I keep them growing all year round and they flower even through summer.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
When they have finished flowering I put them in the garden (in the warmest place possible). Some last a few years and throw up more flowers, others just fade away.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Bart

« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
I had a beautiful red one, that I treated like any other persicum, so got rid of all the peat around the root as soon as it stopped flowering, repotted it in gritty compost and I had it for 6 years or so, until one year there were so many flower buds it got botryris and I lost the whole plant. Diameter of bulb was something like 18cm. If we hadn't moved on to windows 10, I could have found a picture of it, but I am at a complete loss as to how to get the view per year/ month like we used to have in windows 7... Another matter, but maybe someone can help?

Today glorious sunshine on some cyclamen:
549994-0
Cyclamen africanum

549996-1
Cyclamen rohfsianum

549998-2
Cyclamen hederifolium 'Album'

And a hederifolium with a very odd flower. It is only the second flower, I'll keep an eye out for this one. Any idea what this might be? No auricles compared to normal hederifolium.
550004-3

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:47:31 PM by Maggi Young »

Bart

« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »
 :) wasn't meant to be upside down, wasn't on my computer? 8) ???

ThomasHe

« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »
thank you all for your answers, Thomas

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal