We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2016  (Read 54362 times)

Naoto The Zombie

Re: Cyclamen 2016
« Reply #300 on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Hello! I would be greatly appreciated if anyone could answer my question for me noob - what is the difference between "ex CSE seeds" and "site-numbered CSE seeds"? ??? Aren't both the same?
Contains 10% urea

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »
Yes there is a big difference. The CSE list contains seed from the original collected plants that are still alive and are being looked after by members. These will have a number attached to them ie  93159G.  This is  plant 159 collected in 1993 in Greece. Seed from this plant should hopefully give you some seedlings that have the characteristics of the parent plant. Ex CSE seed is seed from subsequent generations of seedlings from collected plants which may still be showing the characteristics of the original but they may be weakened as generations progress but are still traceable back to the original collected plant. Hope this makes sense.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Graeme

« Reply #302 on: November 17, 2016, 10:22:13 PM »
in the 2 or 3 million bookmarks i seem to have I remebered this one
http://s463.photobucket.com/user/Tim_Murphy/library/Cyclamen%20mirabile%20CSE?sort=3&page=1

Not sure if any of these plants are still alive but an intersting set of photos - anyone got any links to pictures of any of the other cse plants?
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

SJW

« Reply #303 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »
Not sure if any of these plants are still alive but an intersting set of photos - anyone got any links to pictures of any of the other cse plants?

Yes, some of them are still alive although obviously over time there are casualties. In due course the revamped Cyclamen Society website should have more plant photos uploaded, and I expect CSE plants will also feature - where images are available. The photos you linked to, of plants in the care of Tim Murphy at the time, would be good to have available on the new website, for example.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Ant

• Provencal life
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »
Is there a list of all the CSE plants that are still alive
Anthony Bond, Mont Ventoux

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
@cycnich

So.....you meant that the CSE seeds with the certain numbers I obtained last year are F1, and ex CSE seeds are F2....am I right?  ???
Contains 10% urea

SJW

« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2016, 12:42:38 AM »
@cycnich

So.....you meant that the CSE seeds with the certain numbers I obtained last year are F1, and ex CSE seeds are F2....am I right?  ???

If they were from the CSE seedlist then it is the seed from the parent (collected) plant. So first generation. From seed exchanges, ex CSE seed can be from any offspring of the original collected plant - could be seed from a 2nd generation plant, or from many generations down the line. A good example is ex CSE C. coum seed. I don't think any of the parent plants are still alive - they were collected in the late '80s - so any seed these days will be from subsequent generations of ex CSE plants.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #307 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
Thanks Steve for explaining that so well.I was beginning to confuse myself.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
@SJW, @cycnich
Thanks a million! Now it's crystal clear.....
Contains 10% urea

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
A hederifolium with a pink flush, via Melvyn's seed of course.

johnw - dark, soggy & dismal.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
Gorgeous!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

SJW

« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2016, 09:29:31 PM »
...A good example is ex CSE C. coum seed. I don't think any of the parent plants are still alive - they were collected in the late '80s - so any seed these days will be from subsequent generations of ex CSE plants.

You never know what's going to pop up but if you know what the parent plant looks like then you can rogue out the seedlings. C. coum ex CSE 88397, for example, should have bright silver leaves with a contrasting green X-mas tree centre. There is one named C. coum plant in cultivation which was introduced from a Cyclamen Society expedition (Israel 1990): 'Golan Heights'. The collection number was cse 90417 and it breeds true in cultivation - an albissimum form with plain green leaves. The field notes say the parent plant was collected from Mas'ada on the road to Odem and El Rom. Altitude 1125 m (3390 ft). North-northwest aspect, coarse terra rossa clay with outcrops of basaltic lavas and areas of loose stones.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #312 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:17 PM »
The originals might be alive. I have Cyclamen purpurascens tubers collected in 1981. Until recently I had C.mirabile from the infamous Woolworth's dried "hederifolium" offerings (I bought 4, two turned out to be cilicium, 2 were mirabile).

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »
i really love the free seedlings of cyclamen coum

Graeme

« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »
i really love the free seedlings of cyclamen coum
some great silvers next to the fence
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal