We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2016  (Read 25703 times)

vanozzi

Re: Lilium 2016
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 03:35:20 AM »
Thanks for the useful advice from the book, Rick. A pity that the book does not seem to be available to purchase anyhere.

To all those interested

The excellent book ''Martagon lilies"" by E.Eugene Fox is available direct from The North American Lily Society.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

vanozzi

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 03:45:00 AM »
and while I think of it, can anyone spare any seed of Auratum var. rubrovittatum please?

You may have it as Auratum rubrovittatum ''apollo".
Paul R

Dick Cheung

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
and while I think of it, can anyone spare any seed of Auratum var. rubrovittatum please?

You may have it as Auratum rubrovittatum ''apollo".
I have a L. auratum var. rubrovittatum from Japan but it never flower(maybe not enough sun light)

vanozzi

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »
G'day Dick,
you have the opposite problem to us in Australia, we have too strong sunlight.Most of my orientals are grown under 70% shade cloth or under the shade of my fruit trees.
Five years ago, I had auratum rubrovittatum apollo, but it only lasted one year.Since then everyone in Aus seems to have lost that clone and it has not been available since.
It flowered for me and I spread its pollen around and this year, several of its seedlings flowered.I saved pollen from the best but resisted setting any seed as they were first flowers on young seedlings.Next year I will cross the siblings and should get some good coloured seedlings.
If you want any seed of ceruum, lankonguense or duchartrei (free) send me a PM with your address.
Here are the 3 best all from 3 different crossings using apollo.
Paul R

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »
Very beautiful, good work.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
Does anybody have pollen from L.gloriosoides from the mainland form?
Mine is about to flower. I keep it now the third year. It got a few sidebulbs from last year and the first flower this year.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:49:11 PM by partisangardener »
Axel

Dick Cheung

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:12 AM »
G'day Dick,
you have the opposite problem to us in Australia, we have too strong sunlight.Most of my orientals are grown under 70% shade cloth or under the shade of my fruit trees.
Five years ago, I had auratum rubrovittatum apollo, but it only lasted one year.Since then everyone in Aus seems to have lost that clone and it has not been available since.
It flowered for me and I spread its pollen around and this year, several of its seedlings flowered.I saved pollen from the best but resisted setting any seed as they were first flowers on young seedlings.Next year I will cross the siblings and should get some good coloured seedlings.
If you want any seed of ceruum, lankonguense or duchartrei (free) send me a PM with your address.
Here are the 3 best all from 3 different crossings using apollo.
Very nice flower, the first one looks like L. auratum var. pictum
I have no garden in my home that i have to grow my plants next to the window indoor, so there is not enough sun shine for the plant
I just find that my L. auratum var. rubrovittatum have one bud, but it seems to be incomplete development
hope that i can see the right colour

Dick Cheung

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 09:31:38 AM »
Does anybody have pollen from L.gloriosoides from the mainland form?
Mine is about to flower. I keep it now the third year. It got a few sidebulbs from last year and the first flower this year.
I do keep some pollen of Mainland L. gloriosoides in my refrigerator, but I don't know how can i send the pollen to you that it is a really long distance between Hong Kong and Germany.
And your L. gloriosoides makes me confused, did it flower before? It just so different from mine and other L. gloriosoides i have seen before.
Yours leave is wider then the normal one and it always has 3 veins.
the buds would turn downside when it start develop
here is my L. gloriosoides which bloomed in last month and it came from Lushan (Jiangxi)

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Thank you it did not flower before. It was  from Chen Yi and I was not sure if it is the right thing.

Some other growers from Germany which had several times Lilium gloriosoides from the same source in flower told me it should be one. Still there is doubt it might be something else.

How do you keep the pollen?  Deep freeze or just ordinary refrigerator? If the bud does not turn downside in the next weeks it is certainly something else.

The small bud looks like a small bulb which sometimes  lilies develope if they are not strong enough for a flower. Even in species which usually never have bulbs at the stem.
Axel

Dick Cheung

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
Thank you it did not flower before. It was  from Chen Yi and I was not sure if it is the right thing.

Some other growers from Germany which had several times Lilium gloriosoides from the same source in flower told me it should be one. Still there is doubt it might be something else.

How do you keep the pollen?  Deep freeze or just ordinary refrigerator? If the bud does not turn downside in the next weeks it is certainly something else.

The small bud looks like a small bulb which sometimes  lilies develope if they are not strong enough for a flower. Even in species which usually never have bulbs at the stem.
I just keep the pollen in ordinary refrigerator that i want to cross it with the taiwan gloriosoides later,
I can give you some if you want it but you have to tell me how to sent it to you.
Although most of the lilium from chen yi always come with a wrong ID but seems that L. gloriosoides always be right.
Your plant look really good and the flower must be very beautiful.
My auratum rubrovittatum grow a small bulb on the top of the plant in the past few years but it finally grows as a 'bud' in this year although it is not fully develop.
By the way, anyone has contacted Chen Yi recently? Seems that she has disappeared on the internet.

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 01:25:12 PM »
Lilium lophophorum -Looks like one of those creatures that drops from the ceiling onto an unsuspecting victim in a cheap Sci-Fi/ horror flick.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

vanozzi

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 04:37:56 AM »
What a splendid photograph Steve, of a very elusive beautiful lilium.

Dick, what a shame you have limited space to grow your liliums.You have a very observant eye in distinguishing different features of the species I've noticed in your posts.It makes me look a little closer too!Thanks for posting your beautiful L.gloriosoides, mine are still at the seedling stage.
Paul R

ArnoldT

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »
Steve:

I know the movie.

"Not of this earth"  Blood suckers and all.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »
Dick Cheung, I have no news from Chen Yi. I think she is out of business or even worse. :'(

Did your gloriosoides set seed? Or do you have only one plant?

How about the usual decline of gloriosoides others often experience?
Axel

Dick Cheung

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 09:24:30 AM »
Dick Cheung, I have no news from Chen Yi. I think she is out of business or even worse. :'(

Did your gloriosoides set seed? Or do you have only one plant?

How about the usual decline of gloriosoides others often experience?
My China gloriosoides did not set seeds because I have only one flowering plant in this year.
but I have some Taiwan gloriosoides that I can get seeds.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal