We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2016  (Read 65517 times)

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
Re: Galanthus February 2016
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
On a very windy afternoon, Galanthus 'Mother Goose' seen yesterday showing its nice yellow markings in a clump of mature bulbs.

Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

alant

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2016, 05:22:07 PM »
I agree very addictive

Sophie North is a really elegant plant it grows well enough but I don't think it will ever make a huge clump here. Here is a picture of it opening from last week

Given time, Sophie North does clump up well.  I find it does not like being too wet, especially in the winter. 

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2016, 06:20:37 PM »
On a very windy afternoon, Galanthus 'Mother Goose' seen yesterday showing its nice yellow markings in a clump of mature bulbs.

On a very windy afternoon, Galanthus 'Mother Goose' seen yesterday showing its green mark with a tinge of yellow.

Bulb now in place undisturbed for 2 years. Initially told it would take a year to settle, now told it could take up to three years to return to it's billed colour. This experience is also evident with other growers including those who re-pot yearly and thus could face the prospect of never seeing a return to yellow, being unaware of the problem when purchased. Growers following the advice that snowdrops "should therefore be lifted about every three years" would face a similar dilemma.

Cfred72

« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:31 PM »
Here 'Trumps' and the last three are 'Big Boy'
517898-0517900-1

517902-2517904-3517906-4
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
On a very windy afternoon, Galanthus 'Mother Goose' seen yesterday showing its green mark with a tinge of yellow.

Bulb now in place undisturbed for 2 years. Initially told it would take a year to settle, now told it could take up to three years to return to it's billed colour. This experience is also evident with other growers including those who re-pot yearly and thus could face the prospect of never seeing a return to yellow, being unaware of the problem when purchased. Growers following the advice that snowdrops "should therefore be lifted about every three years" would face a similar dilemma.

Time for a good measure of patience!  Seasoned snowdrop collectors sit it out and wait for that magical moment when a drop shows its true colour, whenever that might be.  One can be certain anything North Green has selected is tops.  In the 1980's when I first got 'Rosemary Burnham' others said it was ungrowable, cantankerous, problematic and would never settle down  - yes it was a wait but then she exploded and we had it coming out of our ears.  Would I do it over again?  You bet I would. 

How many times have I bought 'S. Arnott' and failed?  I care not to think but I'd hazard over the years it cost me more than a 'Diggory' of the late 1990's or a 'Mother Goose' of today.   Frankly I'd be quite pleased to just have access to a 'Mother Goose' on a sale table.  A simple solution would be to move future offsets to various sites until you get it right.

Now I'm off to plant Rhododendron proteoides seed which is said to flower after 25+ years or never.   

johnw
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:21:00 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
Time for a good measure of patience! 

Well you would need rather a lot if:

1. You re-potted each year or
2. You followed the advice that snowdrops "should therefore be lifted about every three years"

and it was known that it could take three years to revert to the colour described. You could of course spend the time considering whether you would have made the purchase decision if you had been made aware of the colour issues before you purchased!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »
"Well you would need rather a lot if:"

I suggest you not get into Magnolias either.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
"Well you would need rather a lot if:"

I suggest you not get into Magnolias either.

john

For good horticultural reasons I would not, but if I want any suggestions, I will let you know! 

Dean C

« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »
David, great shots of a drop I would love to grow some day  :)

steve owen

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2016, 10:55:31 PM »
Very interesting. My Mother Goose is yellow as described on the tin, and my Elizabeth Harrison was the "proper yellow" (until the narcissus fly grub ate them) although I know some people have found the coloration of their EH to be altogether more insipid. Maybe soil PH has something to do with it. My Savill Gold are only now prospering and a really deep yellow buried in a very acid bark chippings path. But my Fiona's Gold, which for the past three years has been a soft yellow, this year is almost green in colour. Maybe the dryness of the soil in the initial growing period affects the colour. Maybe the yellows just like to keep an air of mystery. I guess if its certainty you are after you need to be an undertaker or a tax inspector.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Josh Nelson

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2016, 12:06:11 AM »
David, great shots of a drop I would love to grow some day  :)
with you there Dean!

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2016, 12:42:22 AM »
Given time, Sophie North does clump up well.  I find it does not like being too wet, especially in the winter.

I think that goes for a lot of snowdrops particularly the yellows but unfortunately not much hope of saving them from getting too wet this winter ;)
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:55 AM »
A lovely drop, and more so due to my eye for a strong yellow. Thank you for posting this treasure, David. And I do hope our Blonde Ingrid gets that yellow color sooner than later. And Steve, what a lovely troupe of 'Savill Gold'. Loving all the terrific golds and yellows you have all posted.  Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:55 AM »
Very interesting. My Mother Goose is yellow as described on the tin.....
Who is selling tinned snowdrops? :o
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Josh Nelson

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »
A nivalis find from yesterday - two sinus marks and notably incurved outers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:34:54 PM by Josh Nelson »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal