We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2016  (Read 65511 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus February 2016
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »
Josh, the incurved outers usually mean the flower is about to go over.  I also like the ones with a reduced sinus mark but I'm holding out for a fully albino snowdrop with no green at all, not even on the inside of the inner petals.  I think Hagen may have a few of those.
Almost in Scotland.

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2016, 02:28:48 AM »
A nivalis find from yesterday - two sinus marks and notably incurved outers
Josh, a terrific find. The long narrow outers are unique, and I am a sucker for marks on the inners with twin small dots each one on either side of the sinus. Hats off! Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »
I'm holding out for a fully albino snowdrop with no green at all, not even on the inside of the inner petals.  I think Hagen may have a few of those.
Alas Alan, I found a pure white plicatus last year but I feared virus was cause and looks that way this year! (few seedlings in the pot though so I'll grow them on and see what happens)

Josh Nelson

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »
Josh, a terrific find. The long narrow outers are unique, and I am a sucker for marks on the inners with twin small dots each one on either side of the sinus. Hats off! Rick
Thanks Rick - all inners on both bulbs had the two sinus marks, so hope for a repeat and maybe more flowers next year as the offsets mature!

Josh Nelson

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 10:36:12 PM »
This was my yellow find from a couple of days ago, when Storm Imogen was going through (and looking a bit battered for it!).  The name Imogen's Gold comes to mind, but that would be jumping the gun only two days after finding it!

First pic shows two of the three flowers (with Ecusson d'or, lacking yellow on outers); second is a cropped close up of the first; and third is a group shot with some other yellows ready for planting up the new spring garden (with lots of other lovely spring flowers including Hellebores, Cyclamen, Trillium, Erythronium etc etc) - left to right: the lovely Grake's Yellow from Valentin Wijnen (the closest comparator); Madelaine; new find; Ecusson d'or

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2016, 10:48:25 AM »
A truly beautiful addition to the virescent collection, Galanthus 'Northern Lights' from Andy Byfield!

Described as "a hybrid - perhaps G. nivalis x byzantinus, with a bit of gracilis thrown in". Whatever its antecedents, it is an incredibly lovely snowdrop.

On the Flete Walled Gardens site Andy described Northern Lights as "Its a blighter to photograph". Consequently, the photos there, do not highlight the utterly stunning grey/green wash on the outers to their full effect. I have tried my best here to capture how the wash looks.

The colour (as colour is subjective, I have tried to standardise as much as possible by using International Shades of Green in Nature definitions) ensures it stands out distinctively from some of the other major virescents such as Morgana, Simply Glowing and Rosemary Burnham, all of which have Avocado as the colour on the inner.

Described as being, "the most subtle shade of light chartreuse green", Northern Lights has an Asparagus inner with the outers having Mantis washed with Laurel Green. It stands apart as it is the only one of these virescents which has a grey green on the outers and a different green (Asparagus as opposed to Avocado) on the inners.

Mine is growing very close to Morgana and the difference in green is manifest.

It is a thoroughly beautiful snowdrop and a must have addition for virescent aficionados and those who love elegant variety!!

Cfred72

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
Yesterday, in garden, I bought a pot that contains 5 bulbs Galanthus nivalis.
What caught my eye is that on the table, there was only one specimen whose petals were rolled up backwards.
What do you think ?

518126-0
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
On a very windy afternoon, Galanthus 'Mother Goose' seen yesterday showing its green mark with a tinge of yellow.

Bulb now in place undisturbed for 2 years. Initially told it would take a year to settle, now told it could take up to three years to return to it's billed colour. This experience is also evident with other growers including those who re-pot yearly and thus could face the prospect of never seeing a return to yellow, being unaware of the problem when purchased. Growers following the advice that snowdrops "should therefore be lifted about every three years" would face a similar dilemma.

There is hope.  Here is 'Mother Goose' looking quite gold in John Lonsdale's collection, and he says it was repotted less than a year ago.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2016, 09:41:27 PM »
Found in the garden a week ago and photographed today.

A small yellow - not more than 4cm. high
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
This was my yellow find from a couple of days ago, when Storm Imogen was going through (and looking a bit battered for it!).  The name Imogen's Gold comes to mind, but that would be jumping the gun only two days after finding it!

First pic shows two of the three flowers (with Ecusson d'or, lacking yellow on outers); second is a cropped close up of the first; and third is a group shot with some other yellows ready for planting up the new spring garden (with lots of other lovely spring flowers including Hellebores, Cyclamen, Trillium, Erythronium etc etc) - left to right: the lovely Grake's Yellow from Valentin Wijnen (the closest comparator); Madelaine; new find; Ecusson d'or
Josh, you yellow find seems to have a pale stripe along the leaf - can you confirm?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »
A few clumps in my garden today
Diggory
Nivalis lutescens
Brenda Troyle
Straffan
Wendy's Gold
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:02:28 PM by johngennard »
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
So far one of the best G. plicatus from the castle was found last year.  It is coming up healthily and strongly this year with large rounded puckered outers, 'Bubblewrap' for personal reference.
Cyril
Scotland

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14:06 PM »
Hello I Have seen a few comments about G. woronowii Elizabeth Harrison and I saw a few in a pot at AGS snowdrop day were young bulbs I suspect rather small here are the real Flowers here.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Josh Nelson

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »
Josh, you yellow find seems to have a pale stripe along the leaf - can you confirm?
Yes, Anne - now you mention it, the yellow find has a noticeably pale median stripe on pale, soft green leaves

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
I love the contrast of green leaves and yellow in the flowers in 'Elisabeth Harrison'.  :)
Wonderful clumps.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal