We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2016  (Read 65500 times)

Valentin Wijnen

Re: Galanthus February 2016
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Thank you Mark, one of the distinctives that catches me the most is 'Grakes Heredij' being big- flowered and consistent greenstriped complete poculiform. The flower is bigger tha a normal flowering 'E A Bowles', which is big for a nivalis...
I have also made another greentipped poculiform selection called 'King of the Greentip Pocs' which features -amongst other findings- in my lectures on Galanthus. KGTP however has a complete other outer marking of a lighter green.
Valentin Wijnen, 'Grakes Heredij',
www.grakesheredij.be
Hoeselt, NE part of Belgium

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
When I went round the Anglesey Abbey collection this year they has a solitary plicatus labelled 'Kirtling Towers'.  It's really a nivalis isn't it?  And no 's' on the end?  I'm sure it originates from the property Kirtling Tower via Richard Ayres (after he had left Anglesey Abbey).     

I'm no galanthophile like you as my many snowdrop friends know.  I am surprised, therefore, that as a 'true follower' you didn't take the easy route and consult 'A Gardener's Guide to Snowdrops', page 202, as I did, where it gives a full description of Kirtling Tower or even look at the Judy's Snowdrops website.  If only I had known this would come up I could have asked Richard Ayres and Richard Todd when I was at lunch with them recently.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:54:14 PM by David King »
Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
Can anyone identify this lost label Galanthus? Diminutive, 10cm tall, double, leaves applanate, dark green with a wide silver stripe down the middle. Flowering now. Possibly a Greatorex double?
Anyone? See Reply 199.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
...'Grakes Heredij' ... big- flowered and consistent greenstriped complete poculiform.

That's a fantastic find, Valentin.  And welcome back to the Forum; you've been away too long.
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:47 PM »
Here is Galanthus nivalis 'Grakes Heredij'. It is a perfect poculiformis, with all crisp white six petals being - approx.- of the same length but every petal is heavily marked at the end with dark green stripes. It flowers at a good height, is a pure nivalis, but the flowers are approx. 3 cm... So, , not one of my findings in 'Scharlockii' but a new bold growing and flowering poculform green marked nivalis.

That is the most beautiful snowdrop! Congratulations.
Leena from south of Finland

Josh Nelson

« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
Thank you, Bernadette; I have made quite some selections in past years in different species. The most rewarding situation to me now, is the seedlings that occur in my  garden, 'Grakes Heredij', named after my grandfather Gerard Schoefs. Every new flowering season has something new 'in petto'. The gene-pool in a collection of over 700 snowdrops is of course great. That opens up some possibilities especially when bees 'think' completely different from us, people... 'Wanted, delberate crosses' are often less beautiful than the spontaneous occurring ones.
Another angle for 'Galanthus nivalis 'Grakes Heredij'
Quitre agre Valentin - we owe a lot to the bees! 'Grakes Heredij' looks fantastic too

Dean C

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2016, 09:46:37 PM »
Seagull with Crocus 'Yalta' and Narcissus 'Bowles Early Sulphur'. Straffan, a real good doer here. Tubby Merlin, just coming into it's own.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »
One of my plicates has thrown a two by two on a first year bulb; also shown is a flower from mature bulb with interesting coloured inners this year

lettuce begin

« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »
[Here is Galanthus nivalis 'Grakes Heredij'. It is a perfect poculiformis, with all crisp white six petals
[/quote]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Absolutely stunning.........
Cheryl England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2016, 11:32:59 PM »
I asked earlier about Galanthus nivalis 'Kirtling Tower'.  My question was prompted by a photograph posted by David King but it was intended to be a general question.  Kirtling Tower, the building near Newmarket, is the home of Lord Fairhaven.  It was, I think, the previous Lord Fairhaven who bequeathed Anglesey Abbey to the National Trust.  Richard Ayres worked for the current Lord Fairhaven at Kirtling Tower for a while, after he retired as Head Gardener at Anglesey Abbey.  My understanding is that Richard found the snowdrop 'Kirtling Tower' there, so it is not directly associated with Anglesey Abbey, as the Judy's Snowdrops website mistakenly asserts.  Freda Cox's book confirms that it is a nivalis.     
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2016, 11:42:09 PM »
Can anyone identify this lost label Galanthus? Diminutive, 10cm tall, double, leaves applanate, dark green with a wide silver stripe down the middle. Flowering now. Possibly a Greatorex double?

I hate to put it like this but could you show some better photos?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
I hate to put it like this but could you show some better photos?
Only if my wife will let me buy a better camera...
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »
This morning's patrol between the rain downpours and greyness, did reveal some delights:

Praha A new acquisition from Ian Christie and a very beautiful drop. Plenty of care taken about the potting arrangements as Ian, as befits all great providers, forewarned me that this can be a difficult drop to grow.

Krasnovii Another new drop for me, all mine have flowered and seem to be bulking well,

Cicely Hall A lovely variety from Anne Wright, an Irish drop before Paddy provides the Irish Tourist Board advert :)

Jimmy Platt A new drop from Avon, described as taking a 'long, long time' to build up stocks it is already showing the normal Avon additional shoots!

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
Hi all, a brand new selection from the stable. I selected this snowdrop already in 2008. Since than I have been bulking it up to a decent number before naming it. I think that is essential: growing an oustanding selection, getting it up to a good number of petals, trying it in at least three gardens and than if it supposed to be an extra, naming it...

Here is Galanthus nivalis 'Grakes Heredij'. It is a perfect poculiformis, with all crisp white six petals being - approx.- of the same length but every petal is heavily marked at the end with dark green stripes. It flowers at a good height, is a pure nivalis, but the flowers are approx. 3 cm... So, , not one of my findings in 'Scharlockii' but a new bold growing and flowering poculform green marked nivalis.
Superb, Valentin.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »
A spell of better weather has brought on a few more flowers.

Hill Poë
One of Ian the Christie kind's lovely Castle plicatus
G. x allenii
Primrose Warburg
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal