We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus questions  (Read 17803 times)

snowdropman

Re: Galanthus questions
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »
Thanks Chris, it seems to confirm my suspicions!  Bill Boardman is a Norfolk plantsman who has "The Garden in an Orchard" in the next village to me.  His wife June is also a good plantswoman, as is his cousin Peter Boardman (Holly officianodo) and his other cousin, one Cecilia Coller.  I'll have to check this but I am sure that there are not too many June Boardman's around!

Brian - seems most likely - perhaps you could let me know when you have had a chance to do a bit of sleuthing, so that I can update my Database - thanks

Chris
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »
A very clever family all round I think Maggi.  Their Grandfather was a well known architect in Norwich and both Bill (and June) and Peter have beautiful gardens with many interesting plants.  I shall have to get round to uploading some photos!!  Bill is also on the RHS Floral Trials Committee amongst other things.

Chris I will report back in due course.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »
BTW Chris have you got any background on Galanthus Little Dorrit and G.St Pancras please?

snowdropman

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »
BTW Chris have you got any background on Galanthus Little Dorrit and G.St Pancras please?

'Little Dorrit' is on page 254 of the 1st edition of 'Snowdrops' book & 'St Pancras' is on page 305
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
Chris always has the answer when it comes to snowdrops. I know from many, many offline queries how helpful and extremely generous he is.

However, he does have the fault of keeping his light under the bucket, so to speak. Chris has failed to tell forum users that his collection of galanthus has been given "National Collection" status by the National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens.

I should explain to anyone not familiar with the NCCPG National Collection scheme that, while it is a great honour to the recipient, a recognition of the recipient's ability to organise and manage a collection to an extraordinarily high standard, that it is also in the view of the NCCPG a placing of great trust on the individual to care for what is rightly regarded as part of the country's heritage, in this case its plant heritage.

My heartiest congratulations and best wishes to Chris and I'm sure all will join me in congratulating Chris on this achievement.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »
Yes, indeed, Paddy, warm congratulations to Chris and thanks to you Paddy for keeping us up to date with this news.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »
Congratulations Chris, well done.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »
'Little Dorrit' is on page 254 of the 1st edition of 'Snowdrops' book & 'St Pancras' is on page 305

Thanks Chris, senior moment set in!

Many congratulations on achieving National Collection Status for your snowdrops, well done.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
Here in Germany, we haven`t a hotline for good informations from GB (but we have srgc). Second thanks for Paddy for informations,  but at first congratulations for Chris. It`s good to know his fine source of informations. (Hope he will show us a lot of pics from his collection) ;)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 10:27:53 PM »
Hagen,

I think Chris will have to be encouraged rather strongly to purchase a camera and, of course, then to use it.

Paddy

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »
Chris et al, although I had planned to see Bill Boardman next weekend, I did the next best thing and saw Richard Hobbs tonight.  I asked him what he knew about it and this is what he said.  Some years ago Bill Boardman bought some Galanthus Atkinsii bulbs and was surprised to find that the seedlings were all yellows.  He selected the best and named it after his wife June.  He approached Richard and asked who the best person would be to pass it to for circulation and Richard suggested Alan Street.  So it was not from Wendlebury Ring but from Bergh Apton in Norfolk.  I will double check this with Bill in due course as the bulb I got was labelled as coming from Cambridgeshire.

I have visited Bill and June this afternoon, it is indeed from their Norfolk garden and is a plicatus seedling.  Vigorous in growth, Bill rates it above G. 'Wendy's Gold' - well he would, wouldn't he!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:05:17 PM by Brian Ellis »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
I may have asked about this before but if I did I have forgotten the answer.

Can anyone figure out the name on this Galanthus label at John Grimshaw's?  Natalie G......?

This may be a shot of the flower and cannot tell much from it.

Ringing any bells?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
Sorry, John, no help to you. Try Chris Sanham.

Paddy

snowdropman

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
John - this is G.elwesii 'Natalie Garton' (also circulating erroneously as 'Natalie Garten').
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
Many thanks Chris. I can't recall taking a close look at it, does it have any particular attributes to deserve a name?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal