We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mimulus 2016  (Read 3255 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Mimulus 2016
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:40:56 PM »

An annual species, Mimulus kelloggii, on a hot south facing slope above Tiger Creek, Amador County, California. I generally find this species growing from 1,300 feet (396 meters) to 3,000 feet (914 meters) elevation in our area.

Mimulus bicolor is another California native annual species. It too grows in full sun, however it has an altitude range from 1,500 feet (457 meters) to 5,000 feet (1,524 meters) in our area.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Mimulus 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:06 PM »
An attractive genus which I have neglected too much!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:12:49 PM »
Nice to see these Robert. The shrubby M. aurantiacus I mentioned earlier (February?) was just about destroyed by the rabbits here, not be eating (this time, they'd already munched it almost to extinction last year) but by jumping into it and, I think, having 3 rounds with whoever the present World Boxing Champion is. I think he lost! However, trimmed right off to ground level it is coming away again and its original wire fencing protection is replaced. It will have to be permanent I think.

The cuttings from the lovely white form which I obtained in Tauranga are rooted now so I'm delighted to have that one.
I had hoped to get M. ?andinus (can't remember the name at the moment) from the seed list but I had so many first choices and the two 2nds were other things. We used to have it here as 'Andean Nymph.'
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
Mimulus naiandinus   - a form  F & W 8384 collected by Flores and Watson was named 'Andean Nymph'
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »
Lesley,

Mimulus aurantiacus is native right here in our part of Northern California. Some have been blooming for about 2 months now. I have to admit that I have neglected to photograph any of the wild populations, but maybe that will change today. Today is my field botany day and I will be traveling in their territory. We have several good wild forms in our garden, however only one is blooming at this time (the others are too small, but will most likely start blooming a little later in the season).

It is good to hear that your white forms have rooted. I look forward to seeing some photographs as they develop.

Trond,

We have many fine Mimulus species here in California. They are very hard to overlook (at least for me). Today I will be going to Traverse Creek and hope to find both Mimulus douglasii and M. layneae in bloom. Both are annual species and just the sort of thing I like to grow and see in the wild.

I guess I am establishing quite the collection of California native Mimulus species here in our Sacramento garden. I will be sharing photographs as they come into bloom.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
Robert, I'll photograph the white as soon as there are flowers. The rooted cuttings are still very small and we had our first frost here this morning so I'll put them under cover until after the winter, to be on the safe side. The red cuttings are OK too, just as well since rabbits really seem attracted to this plant. I had an apricot form until we moved but lost the few cuttings I brought with me I think. I don't have it now. It grew to over two metres and was NEVER out of flower in a dry bed beside the house. It is the commonest form here so should be replaceable some time.

Thanks Maggi, I should have known you'd come up with those particular goods. :D We all had 'Andean Nymph' at one time then suddenly no-one had it. It was so easy that I think I and perhaps others took it for granted and didn't take enough care. It's good to see it on the seed list but from NZers' point of view, difficult because the other came in before the Bio Security Act came into force whereas M. naiandinus was named way after that and isn't on the permitted list not having been here (as that) previously, so we can't bring it in. My asking for it in my application was a case of the triumph of hope over experience. Had I received it, the list which accompanies seeds to NZ would have alerted MPI inspectors and it would have been removed but I had hopes that I could have successfully argued that it was here already under the other pre-describing name. That has worked in the past a couple of times. When a non permitted species arrives we are given the choice of proving it is here already (and usually have to produce the paperwork such as old invoices or catalogues etc), MPI destroying it (no cost), returning to sender (for which they charge about $60!) or applying for assessment (this can cost up to $2000, paid up front before the assessment is done.) Not hard to guess which option we DON'T choose. >:(

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:47:57 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 10:16:29 AM »
Robert,
I'm hoping you are going to be posting some more Mimulus, as I know very little about them.

Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »
Robert,
I'm hoping you are going to be posting some more Mimulus, as I know very little about them.

Yes,

Mimulus season is here in California. I hope to have more photographs and information as time progresses.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »

Mimulus guttatus in our Sacramento garden.

I originally cultivated this species from plants that grew wild in the front ditch at the El Dorado County farm. When there is adequate precipitation this species can be found growing throughout the Sierra Nevada Foothills where ever there is seasonal running water or continual moisture.

I have found this species very easy to cultivate. I let them seed around and let the plants grow here and there as they wish. I definitely treat this species as an annual, however I have been able to get plants to survive for 2 to 3 years by keeping them moist all year.

With cool moist weather they will bloom for several months, however they eventually produce so many seed pods that they will quit blooming. If one cuts them back and removes the seed pod producing stems they will start into growth again and continue to bloom. In our garden, I generally let them produce seed and then scatter it around the garden and wait to enjoy them next season.

Mimulus aurantiacus var. aurantiacus blooming in our Sacramento garden with Allium unifolium - a beautiful combination.  :)

One of our California native species, Mimulus aurantiacus is a xeric species. It is found growing on hot, dry, south and west facing canyon slopes and hillsides in the lower foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains (as well as other parts of California). Summer temperatures can be extreme and generally they receive no precipitation during the summer and early autumn months. Plants in the wild can look completely dry and dead by early autumn. With cooler weather and the return of rainfall in the autumn they will start into new growth.

In a garden setting some attention is needed for optimal performance. Over watering during the summer produces short lived plants, however some irrigation is necessary to keep the plants green. In the wild this species can grow in clay type soils, however in cultivation I find a gritty, very well drained soil is more to their liking, especially when summer irrigation is provided.

Other than attention to watering, this species is very easy to grow. Lean soil (no fertilizer or organic compost) is to their liking. Plants can bloom for many months during the spring. In cool summer climates, their bloom cycle can continue into the summer and autumn. There are 6 natural occurring varieties in California, as well as a fair number of horticultural color varieties. Horticultural varieties range in color from white, through various pastel shades of orange and yellow, to clear bright yellows, oranges, and reds.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 01:15:24 AM »
I like that yellow form of aurantiacus Robert. Maybe I'll find it here sometime to go with the apricot and my red and white. :)

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
I had hoped to get M. ?andinus (can't remember the name at the moment) from the seed list but I had so many first choices and the two 2nds were other things. We used to have it here as 'Andean Nymph.'

Maggi and Lesley,

I bought M. naiandus about 40 years ago from from Stantons Alpine Nursery for 60p.
Shown below is the description in the 1976 catalogue.

I grew it in my “Scrophulariaceae” trough along with Calceolaria tenella, Mimulus ‘Whitecroft Scarlet’, Penstemon hirsutus and Ourisa microphylla CW 5233.

Scroph Trough http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/POAP_LARGE_032.htm The photo was taken soon after I bought the plant.

Very often I have seen it in garden centres where it rarely displays the vivid markings as shown in the photograph; as it is very variable from seed, and can be an anaemic thing with little attraction.
Better to try it from seed, as you then stand a chance of getting a beauty.  :)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:13:47 PM by Lampwick »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Robert

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 11:46:06 PM »
I like that yellow form of aurantiacus Robert. Maybe I'll find it here sometime to go with the apricot and my red and white. :)

Lesley,

Some of my Mimulus aurantiacus var. pubescens are a very clear yellow. They will most likely bloom a little later. I will definitely post a photograph when they bloom.

I made some selctions of Mimulus aurantiacus var. grandiflorus from wild plants. They are various pastel shades of apricot and yellow. They are all clonal selections from cuttings. They will be blooming a bit later too.

Mimulus pictus

An annual species from the Southern Sierra Nevada and Tehachapi Mountains of California. I obtained the seed from Ginny Hunt, Seedhunt. This is my first year to cultivate this species. I am very pleased to have a good seed crop this year. I definitely want to keep this line going.

The flowers of this species are somewhat small, however it is well worth growing in a tub where the flowers can be appreciated close-up.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 07:35:33 AM »
I'll look forward to seeing those in due course Robert.

Thanks for the link to your super plant John (am I remembering correctly here? Kai's Dad anyway). That plummy colour is very nice and on a compact plant too. The plants we had here were creamy coloured in the main but with quite large plum-coloured patches and spotting.

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:42 PM »
Thanks for the link to your super plant John (am I remembering correctly here? Kai's Dad anyway). That plummy colour is very nice and on a compact plant too. The plants we had here were creamy coloured in the main but with quite large plum-coloured patches and spotting.

Hi Lesley,
Click on this link for Kia update.
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6476.msg357069#msg357069

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:25:55 PM by Lampwick »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 12:51:47 AM »
I did that thanks John and am pleased to hear how the beautiful Kai is, though he's had some tough times. I can cope with getting old myself but when we have to watch our precious animals go down that track, we are set up for heartbreak. It will take courage from you and your family when the time comes, but you will do the right thing at that time. My very best wishes to you - and to Kai. :) :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal