We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 28169 times)

Tristan_He

Re: May 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
The rockery in the front garden is settling in nicely and looking good at the moment.

534808-0

534814-3

Tristan_He

« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2016, 10:57:48 PM »
A few close-ups now.

534824-0

Viola 'Ivan'. Picked this up at Ashwood. Hopefully it will be reasonably perennial.

534826-1

Leucogenes leontopodium. Not quite open yet, but it still makes a lovely image. I rate this a lot higher than most of the actual Leontopodiums, and it's also soundly perennial and easy to grow.

534828-2

Asperula odorata (sweet woodruff). I really love this plant, even though it's a bit of a spreader. It's also great for jazzing up some apple juice - leave a sprig to infuse in the juice overnight and it gives it a lovely sweet aroma / flavour of hay (trust me, this is a good thing).

534830-3

The apple trees are fully in flower now. This is 'Egremont Russet'.

534832-4

..and this is 'Bardsey'. 

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
Rockery looking good Tristan
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

meanie

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »
The humble Laburnum is one of my favourites................
West Oxon where it gets cold!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
The incredible new foliage of the dwarf Acer palmatum 'Japanese Princess' from Old Reo Nursery in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, here growing at a friends.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »
A few willows today:

Salix uva-ursi perhaps.

Salix fargesii

Salix vestita, the last three. Is this one sold in the UK?

johnw

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:00:22 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »

Salix vestita, the last three. Is this one sold in the UK?

I can't see it in The Plant Finder John, but having said that TPF isn't much good for finding plants these days ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
Lathyrus transilvanicus.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »
From the garden today Veronica austriaca 'Ionian Skies'

535046-0

535048-1
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:35:24 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »
Also from the garden today Penstemon davidsonii var. menziesii
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »
Nice pictures David.

April and May are probably the most colourful in our garden but because of the funny start to the year May has seen a bumper crop.  Here are some of them.

The Anemone is a small plant but shows great promise. The Azalea (I know it's spelled incorrectly I always have trouble with this word) was a gift for our silver wedding 20 years ago and now stretches 4 feet across.

The Berberis featured in our article on dwarf shrubs and is simply superb this year. So is the Campanula, in a pot for the show bench.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »
Epimediums make for good ground cover in a shady border.
This Erysimum has extended as it has opened and is now about 8 inches tall.
We had a pot of Gladiolus trystis that was doing very little and I think Brian must have scattered the compost on the front bed.  This year we have had 7 or 8 stems, a nice surprise.
I was struggling to find a Hakenchloa. Cecelia Collar used to show a lovely one. I phoned Aberconwy, the lady who answered the phone said the nursery didn't have it but she did in her garden and she sent me a piece.
Gardeners are so generous.  This lovely little Iris came from Clare and John Dowers front garden and seems to have settled in nicely.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
We saw some Leucocorynes at the Glasgow Show a few years ago sow I got Brian some. This one Andes has a lovely full flower, we also had L. spotlight on the bench this year.
This is the last of our big Lewisia cotyledon hybrids, the pots are getting too big and heavy.
Two Omphalodes, cappodocia and the rather special Starry Eyes. Also a small Phlox growing just outside the greenhouse.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2016, 04:18:39 PM »
You don't realise quite how many Rhodo's you've got until they all burst into flower. But Percy Wiseman is always the star.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
Phylliopsis caerulea is pretty but not prolific.  Can't say that about the Rhodanthemum Casablanca though, Brian mentioned it in his late colour article and here it is performing early in the season too.

I said gardeners were generous, this XRamberlea Inchgarth was given us as a small plant a few years ago by Dave Mountfort luckily it seems to like our cool frame.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal