We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007  (Read 176992 times)

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Re: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2007, 10:27:53 AM »

Yes It is Lesley, This is that I think at the first sight, because several Pseudoregelia species are very similar like Iris tigridia, but this one came from Sichuan is unscented, eventhough most important are the measures. This is the description, in red, the coincidences with the plant I have.

58. Iris dolichosiphon Noltie, Kew Mag. 7: 9. 1990.
chang guan yuan wei
Rhizomes short. Leaves linear, 3–23 cm × 2–7 mm at anthesis, to 55 × 1.4 cm in fruit, midvein indistinct, apex curved, minutely acuminate. Flowering stems short, base with sheathlike leaves; spathes membranous when dry, 1-flowered. Flowers very dark violet, slightly mottled, 3–8.5cm in diam. Perianth tube 4–14 cm; outer segments spatulate, 2.3–4.3 × 0.8–1.8 cm, abruptly narrowed into a 0.7–1 cm long claw, claw and base of limb with dense beard of white-based, orange-tipped, clavate hairs, limb elliptic, apex blunt or retuse; inner segments spreading or reflexed, 2–3.6 × 0.5–1.5 cm, claw 4–6 mm, limb oblong, apex retuse or truncate. Stamens 1.7–2.2 cm; anthers orange or pale violet, 8–10 mm. Style branches dark violet, paler at margin, 1.5–2.8 × 0.8–1.5 cm. Capsule borne at ground level, narrowly ellipsoid, ca. 5 cm, apex acute; valves remaining united apically. Seeds ca. 3.5 mm, arillate. Fl. May–Jun, fr. Sep. 2n = 22.
Among shrubs, alpine meadows, open grassy hillsides, limestone cliffs; 2700–4300 m. Sichuan, Xizang, Yunnan [Bhutan, NE India, Myanmar]
----------------------------------------------------------

Iris hookeriana Fos.  Kashmir, India, Himalayas.  2-5" (5-12 cm),  Lilac, purple or blue, mottled darker.  Fragrant.  2n=22, 24.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:29:24 AM by Rafa »

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »
An Iris tingitana

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
Lovely plant Rafa
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2007, 10:38:40 PM »
So far I have not managed to see any bulbus iris wild in Portugal only pseudacorus but the neighbour have iris very similar to tingitana :)  8)

I have a tall iris that is not bearded and not iris sibirica. It looks like a tall mix in that the foliage is not as grass like as in iris sibirca and more upright than in a bearded iris making the foliage 1.2-1.4m and only 20 cm wide. Each leaf is 2cm.
The plant came from Hungary and here in Portugal I have seen whiter versions of what looks to be the similar plant.
Can any one guess any parentage? Is it mixes like the one that Tambergs do? Warning they do very nice plants so only open if You can resist them!!!! 8) ::)
http://www.tamberg.homepage.t-online.de/homep36e.htm
I do not think my plant comes from them but it might be a similar one but I just like irises and do not know that much about the species but I am learning a lot here.
One can see the difference in hight with the lilac bearded iris.
Thanks for any help
Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:43:38 PM by Joakim B »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2007, 04:20:18 AM »
I think your iris is probably what used to be called I. ochroleuca and is now called I. ? (Darn, memory slipped again, it will come to me, if someone else doesn't give a name.) It is a prominent member of the non-beared Spuria group and these are, as you suggest, what Tomas specializes in. When he was here in 2000 he left seeds of some of his hybrid lines and some super plants have come from these. They're big plants though and need lots of space. Undisturbed, a clump will grow to 1.5 metres wide!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 04:24:37 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2007, 04:23:09 AM »
Having had a quick look at the Tamberg site, I need to change some of the above post. I didn't in fact, see any spurias there at all, though lots of other amazing things. However, I still think your iris is ochroleuca Joakim.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »
Lesley thanks for the identification
In the Tamberg webpage I saw something called I orientalis "Friga" that is a Spuria hybrid by Rodionenko. It is not said anything more about the parentage but it is described as being vigorus and tall (almost as tall as a man) and this and the flower type is similar with the one I have. I did not see enought of the foliage to be sertain before.
Now I am sertain that it an iris in the Spuria group with Your help.
Thanks for the help and if You want to see the hybrid it is on this adress.
http://www.tamberg.homepage.t-online.de/hompg36e.htm
Maybe some "more iris" is neded to get to this side.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

biodiversite

« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
Hi everybody,
Do someone succeed with Oncocyclus ?
I would be happy to swap a part of my I. kirkwoodii with another strain...
I don't have time to post my photos but you can find some photos here http://plantes-passion.forumactif.fr/Les-plantes-d-exterieur-c2/Les-iris-f21/les-Oncocyclus-se-preparent-t331-0.htm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2007, 11:23:56 PM »
Thanks Joakim, orientaliswas the name which I was trying to remember. :'(

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2007, 11:41:14 PM »
Lesley my pleasure  :-*

Does anyone know if the spuria hybrids are good cut-flowers?
The flower look a bit like the ones called Dutch irises but the foliage does not and this one is rhizomos and the Dutch is not but Spuria also have one to two flowers per stem (I think) and Dutch irises are good cut flowers. Do this similarities and differences say anything about the quallity as a cut-flower?
Bearded iris last a week if one takes away the "over bloomed" ones but Dutch last atleast 2.
My mother-in-law has just had the beared lilac ones for a week and are looking for cutting something for next week and it will be the rest of the lilac ones. But for the coming week there is no obvious ones unless it is getting warmer here for the Spuria to come into bloom. For now only one is flowering the rest is still in bud.
I presume in a few weeks we will know the answer if noone here knows it and can tell us.

Kind regards
Joakim

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »
Spurias DO make good cut flowers but for BIG vases! :) Like many or most irises, they have a second bud behind the first and as the first dies or fades, this can be gently removed, leaving a fresher flower in its place. Hold the space firmly but gently and bend the old flower off, hopefully taking the undeveloped seed pod as well, for a neat appearance. Stems can be treated as with any other cut flowers, hot water, aspirin or whatever.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
Thanks Lesley
Now I will be able to make the mother-in-law happy even when we are not here. ;D
Joakim

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »
Well Joakim, it's always a good idea to keep one's mother-in-law happy. Oddly, I usually got on better with my mother-in-law than I did with her son! :'(

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
Lesley I do not know if I should  ;D or :'( with You so I do both. :-*
Kind regards
Joakim

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2007, 03:22:56 AM »
Thank you Joakim.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal