We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007  (Read 175536 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007
« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »
David, Iris attica is a delight and I'm sure you will enjoy it. But do you have a good reason to grow it under glass? It would be happiest out in a rock garden or potted outdoors if you want to show it, then brought under cover perhaps as the buds develop.

Lesley, I only decided to grow it under glass because of advice given in one of my books that suggested this was safer as Iris attica, as well as the other tiny species, are favourite fare of slugs and snails. I think I shall take your advice though and grow it outside but put it in the greenhouse to flower.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2007, 12:05:23 AM »
Good lad! I should have mentioned slugs and snails but I don't think about them much because - and I hate to tell you this ;D - I don't have any. I don't know why. They just don't live where I live. Am I sorry?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2007, 08:42:10 PM »
Hello,

I would like to show you the fabulous pictures that my friend Sergey Banketov took in Azerbaijan a few weeks ago. There are white and vanilla standars of Iris medwedewi (or Iris paradoxa subsp. choschab). I hope you enjoy it

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:49:05 AM by Rafa »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »
Fabulous pictures, indeed, Rafa. Thanks to you and to Sergey!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2007, 12:30:51 AM »
Hi Rafa
I'll second Maggi's thanks to you and Sergey! Those iris are absolutely fabulous! And wonderful to see them growing in the wild.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2007, 12:49:17 AM »
OH YES!!!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
just another wild Iris xiphium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #262 on: June 13, 2007, 11:48:40 AM »
These are very beautiful and I will add my thanks for posting these amazing pictures of amazing plants.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #263 on: June 13, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »
Thanks Rafa !
Stunning pictures of great plants !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #264 on: July 17, 2007, 12:43:19 AM »
Here are some iris that was still blooming in the summer house in th eend of June.
It was just one iris sibirica out of several that was in flower all the others had already set sead pods so it is nice to spread the flowering time with different cultiwars I think this is called butter and cream but is not sure. I like that it was so much later then the others.
The other is a iris japonica or enseata I think also a bit later then the others nice color if I may say so.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »
Here's a picture of some Iris decora seedlings (seed came from Lesley) which I sowed on 9 May last. I have re-potted them once from their seed pot and am feeding and watering them. My questions please are should I continue to water or will  they eventually need a rest; will the leaves die back; and when should I start to water again? Nine thriving out of ten seeds sown, not bad really. 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2007, 05:57:12 AM »
Did I only send you 10 seeds David? That was pretty mean of me. ???

I'd go on watering and feeding (don't overdo it) until they die down naturally, probably around Oct, maybe a bit earlier or later. It does die right away for winter and won't come up again until well into spring, maybe as late as May, so don't panic when they don't come early. You could water from perhaps April on, but in any case, don't let them dry RIGHT out, as they'll dehydrate. They have storage roots like those of a juno but without the bulb on top of the roots. At this size and age the roots will be quite slender and vulnerable to drought.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2007, 10:00:05 AM »
Lesley, thanks for your reply, just the information I needed. You did send me more than 10 seeds, I usually sow all my seeds in batches of 10 as I find they normally give me sufficient plants to manage easily as they grow. 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2007, 05:10:42 PM »
Hello I have just got 3 batches of seed on my tall white beardless iris and wonder what to do with them.
They are now stacked in a vitamin tube and in their open seedpods. Should I take them out and saw them directly or what?
Is there any chance7risk of hybrid with a beared garden iris (germanica?)?
It is described here http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=143.msg11730#msg11730 Could a not totally identified iris openly polinated be sent to a seed exchange or is it way to common/unspecified/unalpine?

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2007, 11:43:42 PM »
If you mean is there any chance of a hybrid between your beardless one and the bearded or germanica kinds, no chance at all. But if you mean between different bearded forms, very likely.

Sow your seeds now, fresh or leave them until late winter but either way, a small patch of well worked soil in the garden would be fine, or in a deepish pot with a good covering of grit. I. orientalis is easy from seed.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal