We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007  (Read 176958 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2007, 05:05:44 AM »
Fermi,

I used to have BGC years ago and loved it.  Lost it at some point but always remember it as such a good colour to it.  Great to see it again.  Most of my louisianna and ensata iris are badly suffering from neglect as they haven't been repotted in quite a few years while I've been ill.  They rarely flower now, but I guess they'll recover one year when I attend to them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray Mills

• raysunusualplants.com
« Reply #331 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
Hi Fermi,
my 'Black Gamecock' has also just starting to flower. I always have trouble trying to take a pic of it (and the other dark forms) as the camera automatically tries to make it bluer. I. nelsonii and I. 'Gerald Darby' are also flowering while I. giganticerulea, I gracilipes and I. graminea -nicely scented- have just finished. Regards Ray.
Ray in
Guildford Victoria Australia

http://www.raysunusualplants.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Hello, Ray, a warm welcome to the Forum. Great to see these lovely Iris.... who could resist them?
I see from your profile you have a nursery... off for a look at your website now!
 Maggi
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:07:40 PM by Ian Y »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Ray. Those are cracking pictures of some very lovely Iris. If I lived a bit nearer to you I could become a 'nuisance' visitor to your Nursery. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
Ray,

Welcome!!  I'll be off to check out your website too.  Love that Iris nelsonii.... interesting colour to it.  It is related to Iris sanguinea?  I recall sanguinea flowers are similar shape to that one, although obviously a different colour.  It is one of those species that I used to have a few years ago but unfortunately lost along the way.  Your pic of nelsonii immediately brought it to mind which is why I ask.

Great pics of all of them.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2007, 10:22:04 PM »
Hi Ray,
welcome to the Forum!
Yes, that Iris is a bit difficult to capture but it's stunning in the garden!
Nice to see some of your other iris.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2007, 01:20:51 AM »
Hi Ray, a warm welcome from NZ, to the Forum. Good to have another Aussie, but what about US? Come on you NZers, join up and get posting.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ray Mills

• raysunusualplants.com
« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2007, 11:56:36 AM »
Hi and thank you Maggie, David, Paul, Fermi and Lesley for the warm welcome.
The website is still under revision with pics yet to be added for the 'bulbs and perennials' and 'daffodils' pages. I collect iris and odd bulbs and sell plants at local markets and the 'nursery' is just a yard with lots of plants at present. I also experiment with plant photography using a cheap digital camera.
Paul, I have not seen I. sanguinea but the North American species iris site http://facstaff.hsc.unt.edu/rbarton/iris/nani.html states that I. nelsonii might be a hybrid of I. fulva. The flowers are pretty much the same with I. fulva having slightly longer falls.
Fermi, I have been trying a grey background as an experiment -after seeing one of Ian's bulblogs- and it seems to do a bit of good but works better with white or yellow flowers.
Regards Ray.
Ray in
Guildford Victoria Australia

http://www.raysunusualplants.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »
Just caught up with this thread. Must find a plant of Gerald Darby! :) I've never met another Darby by chance. Only relatives at hatches, matches and dispatches,
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »
Ray,

The sanguinea is rounder in the petals, whereas the fulva and nelsonii are longer, but they were similar enough to remind me of them.

Anthony,

If you can't find a 'Gerald Darby' closer to home I can certainly send you a piece.  Just coming into flower here at the moment, with lovely purple-black stems and dark base to the foliage.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2007, 02:02:34 PM »
I have managed to loose the label for this Iris flowering today and the old memory isn't what it used to be. Could anyone help with an ID please from these admittedly pretty poor pictures. I can remember that the name of the species begins with 'L' and having looked at the Species Iris Database I would guess that is Iris lazica? As can be seen the slugs like it!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2007, 07:52:51 PM »
You're probably right David. Iris lazica is closely related to (or perhaps a subspecies of) I. unguicularis (old I. stylosa) and yes, the slugs like all in that group.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »
David,

It looks about right.  The leaves on lazica are much chunkier (broader, a bit thicker) than unguicularis and a brighter green.  The flowers sit well down in the foliage and I find are smaller too..... with the falls curling downwards quuite heavily instead of sitting out more horizontally in the unguics.  Yo could certainly never mistake the two for each other, side by side.

That a help?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2007, 10:21:11 PM »
I don't think that our garden suits the Japanese iris; I'm sure this Iris ensata "Rose Queen" had a bigger flower last year!
36386-0

At least it has deigned to flower for a second year, we'll see if it repeats next year!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2007, 10:57:40 PM »
Well they do like masses of water after all. They do well for me but only at about half what their height should be. Do you have the gorgeous white form of `Rose Queen'? I think it was a sport originally and is called `Snow Queen.'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal