We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007  (Read 180736 times)

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
Re: Iris and some Irids 2006-2007
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »
Andrew was "Kuh-e-Abr" grown from seed, is there a supplier?

Not seed grown, supplied by the rare plants site.
I've added their site in the links page, so hopefully it will appear shortly.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2007, 07:20:56 PM »
Andrew was "Kuh-e-Abr" grown from seed, is there a supplier?

Not seed grown, supplied by the rare plants site.
I've added their site in the links page, so hopefully it will appear shortly.

It's not on the Rare Plants Site Andrew, probably too late in the season so I shall look in early Autumn. There is a photograph of Kuh-e-abr on Alan McMurtrie's Site http://reticulatas.com/   The Site has been recently updated.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:36 PM »
Iris reticulata 'Kuh-e-Abr' is from that area of Iran, where it was found in 1977. Paul Christian (rareplants) sells it. I have it (see http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/23605.html?1141287206) flowering now.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2007, 10:58:27 PM »
I like the `Kuh-e-Abr' form  as unlike most (all?) of the Dutch selections, its leaves don't overtop the flowers at bloom time.

I had a look for it on the McMurtrie site but didn't get that far, totally stunned by I. winogradowii `Alba' which Alan says is actually a hybrid. With what for heaven's sake? But what a beauty!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:59:58 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »
It's not on the Rare Plants Site Andrew, probably too late in the season so I shall look in early Autumn.

Yes, the spring list is now current but everything is still on the site, so if you do a search, you can find the inactive listings. Try this link,
http://rareplants.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=622&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=kuh&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
It's not on the Rare Plants Site Andrew, probably too late in the season so I shall look in early Autumn.

Yes, the spring list is now current but everything is still on the site, so if you do a search, you can find the inactive listings. Try this link,
http://rareplants.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=622&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=kuh&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

Thanks for that Andrew. That tops my reticulata wants list for next year. Mind you if I then add on all my other wants lists a Lottery win will be necessary. :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:02 PM »
Buying iris bulbs now?
I saw in the hyper market that they had iris bulbs and I presumed they would more dust like than anything else but they looked good.
It was the Duch type of named varities of 10 bulbs for 1£ so it is not expencive, but do they have a chance to establish and flower now?
I must admitt that the lot of sun we get here in Portugal is helping things grow but I am wondering about this.
Has anyone planted iris bulbs at spring? It is spring in Portugal for the moment we will see if it will be winter again or not.

An other question the only ones to flower (4 so far) out of the 50 bulbs I planted are all the same type, that is like this seen below. Is this the most recistent type or just an early one?

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »
two forms from Iris hyrcana, Talish Mts., Azerbaijan
Iris reticulata, Kopet Dag Mts.,Tajikistan
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2007, 09:13:48 PM »
Joakim, if the bulbs feel sound then they may grow, eventualy. You get what you pay for and you take a chance. If the varieties are very cheap compared with market price for that variety then I would try a packet. If there is only a small saving then I would wait until the summer to buy fresh material.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2007, 10:09:24 PM »
Thanks David
They look good! They even have some green showing.
At what deepth should they be planted? Is it a problem that the green is showing, I meen they will not get sunlight when they are planted so that part might be bad or will it just become white as it would be normally?

I let You know how I do and if there will be flowers I will show them.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2007, 08:13:59 AM »
Joakim
I would plant them in a large plastic pot with noses just below the surface. This year I would expect random growth with scruffy foliage  and, maybe, poor quality flowers. I would then feed them up well, nurse them through the rest of the year and hope for better quality flowers next spring. In your case I would probably take them to Portugal for the hotter summer!
Buying cut price (rescue) bulbs that the supermarkets are trying to get rid of is a Scottish trait, Joakim. Do we add a touch a touch of Scots to your multi-nationality ;)
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
David
I think the plants have been in a cooler untill now since they look very "fresh".
Thanks for the advice David I will put them together with some amarylis to make sure they get a lot of sun. 8)
To answer Your question as diplomatic as I can. On my mothers side I am from the part of Sweden that share the Scottish tendency of "not wasting money". :). I could use a different way to say that but I have promest to be nice :(.
The place is called Småland "Little land".

Kind regards
Joakim

PEAK

• Always from seed!
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Ok, your Smålandic heritage explains everything to me ;D ;D
BTW my girlfriend wanted to buy some sale-out bulbs late autumn, I refused saying they wouldn't etablish before winter. And then we had the latest arrival of winter I can remember!!
Moral of this, always listen to your woman :-X :-X

Cheers
Per-Åke Löfdahl Bulb Enthusiast
Stockholm-Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Nice pics of nice irises Udo/Dirk.
It really makes me want more!!
You will here see the difference between some roots in Småland and not.
I would interpret the moral of Per-Åkes story as "always by bulbs cheap if they look good!"
You can not know the weather so why pay more?
Then not all bulbs I plant survive but I tend to forget that :)
Joakim

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2007, 12:12:08 AM »

Moral of this, always listen to your woman :-X :-X

The best advice any man will ever get!!! :D :D :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal