We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses-2016  (Read 4946 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Roses-2016
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
The roses have started unfolding and, along with the wisteria, the torrent of scents in the garden is intoxicating.
The first is Aviator Bleriot with wisteria
then what may well be Paul Transon (so purchased, but could be Paul Noel, despite its size of 8 meters)
then two shots of Moonlight, a rarely seen hybrid musk with dark green foliage and sparkling blossoms.
Last a close-up of Wisteria sinensis longissima alba, a champion under the wisteria
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Roses-2016
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
Rosa 'Mary Queen of Scots', Rosa 'Arthur Bell'.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Regelian

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
OK, a few more portraits from the roses.  This year they all seem larger than typical, possibly due to the large amount of rain followed by a cool spell, giving the buds a chance to put on size.  For my garden and exceptional rose year.

Heritage is an older Austin rose, which tends to nod its head.  wonderful scent.
Buff Beauty is perfect for shade, where I have is running about in Sango Kaku (jap maple).  A classic, discrete beauty.
Crown Princess Margarethe is right next to Heritage and produces these wonderfully scented blossoms.  Like Heritage, it makes an excellent small climber.
Barcy Bussel- another Austin I added this season.  Lovely, deep colour and should be a compacter rose with up-right habit.
Ghislaine de Feligonde is a perennial favourite of mine.  Beautiful fine foliage of light green and the golden-pink blossoms fade to soft pastels.  Reblooms and is easy to propogate from cuttings.  I have gifted many with this rose over the last 10 years.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
A few more.

Himmelsauge (Eye of Heaven) is a strange, strong grower with moss rose qualities.  Makes a good climber and the balsam scent of the hairs and foliage amke a nice contrast.  Quite prickly and best at the back of the border.  Will do 4 meters given the chance.
Lady Hillingdon- the climbing version, of course, which delights with its clear sun-gold blossoms, classic tea scent and impressive red new growth.  This grows on my chimney.
Yolande d'Aragon- an older hbrid perpetual, 1843, which is surprisingly healthy for this rose class.  Very little rust, if any, and the massive, scented blooms are truly inspirational.  Can be used as a climber, but needs planned pruning to get the best growth form,  Quite vigourous.
Alchemyst is, also, from Kordes.  Once blooming, but fabulous.
The last is a Kordes climber, for which I have lost the name.  Wonderful rain-fast blossoms and excellent, if a bit unruly growth.  I have this together with Kordes Aloha (not to be confused with classic Aloha) on a rose arch.  Actually a bit OTT, but...I want a few ooohs and aaahs from the non-gardeners, who actually have to ask, 'is that a rose?'  Are we that elite a group, these days?

cheers,
Jamie
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:33:06 AM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

ThomasHe

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:46:47 PM »
very nice ones Jamie. I have one with a lovely parfum but i don't know the name of it. Maybe you ?

Regelian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »
Could be a number of roses from the 'blue' group.  Is it a tea, shrub, climber?  Novalis, Mamy Blue, Mainzer Fastnacht(Blue Moon), etc.

I know, not much help, especially as the names change in different languages.

J.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
A few more opene this morning.  Now presumedly hanging their head in the torrential rain at this hour.
Easlea's Golden Rambler (not a rambler by any means) is one of my fav yellows.  Perfectly formed blossoms and a nice scent.
Royal Blush is a local German rose.  Actually an Alba type!  Great scent, blooms but one, but en masse.
Bourbon Queen is very pretty, but i sometimes think not worth the space as she blooms but once and is quickly over.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »
A few more roses, with less rain damage than one would have expected.
A new one, Fighting Temeraire, from Austin
A classic tea, Fragrant Cloud (Duftwolke), which I simply adore.
Heathcliff, another new Austin, which has a fascinating colour
Lady of the Lake, Austin, planted for the new rose arch.
Another parfumed wonder, Mmme Issac Perriere
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
I often collect twigs and such from all kinds of shrubberies (OK, who doesn't!) and attempt to propagate them.  Often they have no name, such as these three gallica roses.

Anyone recognise them?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
The first is a massive climber bred here in Germany by Schütt.  It came out in 1999 and was sold as Millenium.  Well, Schülteis beat them in the registration and I do not know the current name of this repeat-blooming giant.  Softly fragrant, easy to propagate and a personal favourite.  I have a sweet violet seedling from it, presumedly with Violette, which grows next to it.
Princess of Nassau is a later blooming rose, with a soft colour and makes an excellent smaller climber.  Leaves are a fresh green and few thorns.
Scepter'd Isle is an older Austin with that fascinating mhyrr scent.  Love it.
Another massive climber, Treasure Trove. One close up, one dynamic shot.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »
The question is, do I have toooo many roses?  Naaaa!

Trompeter von Säckingen (a storybook character, as i recall) is rarely seen, even in Germany. Excellent climber, bright colour, healthy. but no scent
Now, Vedette does have a good scent and, as a hybrid tea, great cut flower, which is why I grow it.
The ubiquitous Veichenblau.  Makes a lovely rambler, but may mildew later in the season.  No matter.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
Herer are a few more from this morning.
Alain Blanchard is a simple gallica that handles shade well
Benjamin Brittin, an Austin creation, has a singular colouring, much like the namesake composer
Botzaris is an older centifolia-alba type.  The buds are very attractive
Cardinal Richelieu is another older gallica
Cymbeline, again from Austins Shakespeare roses. Myrrh scented and glsitening white.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
First, another Austin, Boscobel.
Jasmina is a Kordes climber.  Very vigouous.
New Dawn is always nice, but prone to rust
Schloßpark Zweibrücken is another german climber
Summer Song from Austin has a great colour and scent.  Large flowers are well upright.  Makes a good small climber.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
And the last for today, Tuscany Superb, and ancient gallica
Bourbon Queen with clematis Kacper
Pretty Kiss-new this Spring
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »
Jamie, you beat me :D Very nice!

Only one in full bloom, Rosa roxburghii normalis.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal