We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4329 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
June 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:00:56 AM »
First day of winter and we had the first hard frost yesterday which means these Gladiolus dalenii won't last long!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
Re: June 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
No frost here yet... tonight is going to be a cold one.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »
First day of winter and we had the first hard frost yesterday which means these Gladiolus dalenii won't last long!
cheers fermi

Saw a lovely flowering potful of these for sale this arvo at our local garden center Fermi --I picked the pot up , hesitated and placed the pot down again ,went inside the store and returned a different way back to the vehicle .... just about got my impulse buying under control ....... :P

Anyway here on the property the birds have flown the nest for sunnier climes and the 'fungi' family have moved in for the winter although one of them seems rather shy..... ;)
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
.................arvo..................................

???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
???

afternoon

' arvo'  noun Australian/NZ informal ....... :)

Thought I'd give that little bit of extra detail Mr Nicholson before you started weighing into me about speaking English .... ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:55:38 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
afternoon

' arvo'  noun Australian/NZ informal ....... :)

Thought I'd give that little bit of extra detail Mr Nicholson before you started weighing into me about speaking English .... ;)  ;D

Well I did wonder ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
Frost this morning. Stunning sunset again tonight.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
tOOlie, I admire your self-restraint! Not a quality I've found in myself, though ;D

At our Rock Garden Group meeting this arvo we had a small display but some very nice plants.
1) a view of the bench
2) George S's Cyclamen (? graecum) with great foliage;
3) George's Haemanthus which he thinks might be a hybrid between H. albiflos and H. pauculifolius
4) George's Lachenalia congesta
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »
Should I presume that mornings are 'marvo' and nights are 'narvo' :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 10:27:46 PM »
Should I presume that mornings are 'marvo' and nights are 'narvo' :P ;D

"You might very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment".  :o

David I've just watched a rerun of the whole series of that wonderful TV production 'House of Cards'.  ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 03:26:08 AM »
Your lachenalias are well on Fermi. Mine are still in nice leaf but the buds are some weeks away. Of course they are all outside, albeit covered now with frost cloth.

The cyclamen looks like hederifolium to me, as good as 'Bowles' Apollo.' Good seed there too. :) Could be graecum I suppose. Check the flowers next time around.

Not much alpine out here. A few crocuses/galanthus/last cyclamen (mostly cilicium) and first narcissus, whiteish bulbocodium types. And the first Cyclamen coum and a good Acaulimalva. (Trying to get photo sorted.  ???)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:08:28 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »

David I've just watched a rerun of the whole series of that wonderful TV production 'House of Cards'.  ;)

One of my favourites Dave. It's something that get's picked out of the bookcase regularly on long Winter evenings when there's nothing on the telly (as there usually isn't!). Another favourite is the George Smiley box set with 'Smiley's People' and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

vivienne Condon

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »
I was wondering if some one could identify this prostrate willow from the Himalayan Mts. please. Otto imported it some years ago from Hollett Nursery UK. I am wanting to do a small article on Salix for the rock garden to find out what  Salix we still have, as they are no longer allowed into Australia as they are considered weeds. Thank you

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
I have a few Viv but this doesn't ring any immediate bells. It should be easier to identify with spring foliage and catkins. Somewhere I also have a lot of old Hollett catalogues from the days when we could but like much of my old material, they are still packed away in boxes. I'm reluctant to throw them out but have no room for them on the house. Not like Otto to forget a name though. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

vivienne Condon

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »
Thank you Lesley for having a look at the willow, no it's not like Otto to forget a name but I think it may come to him one day. I could also check with Ken Gillanders he was selling a few dwarf Salix at times, I also have his old catalogues I might go through those to see if I can glean something from them.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal