We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 24034 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
Maureen's giant Lupin537610-0

Campanula portenschlagiana537612-1

I have two different Campanulas, neither of which I have names for, and both came with unknown 'passengers' .
The first came with what is, I think, a purple leafed Geranium (it may show up better in the close-up)537614-2537616-3

The second came with a Saxifrage, the eagle-eyed may spot it. Both are doing well.537618-4
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »
David, your purple-leaved geranium looks like our native G, sessiliflorum in a form often called 'Nigrescens.' Pretty but will seed about so watch it. It also hybridizes with the Chatham Is G. ?(damn, can't remember its name right now, but pink and bluish leaves,) making nice plants with bronze leaves and pink flowers.

Michael, I'm thrilled to see your Blandfordia in bloom. I kept 5 seedlings the same size as the one (2) I sent, and everyone died in this last summer, too much summer wet I think. They didn't get as far as flowering.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 02:56:34 AM »
Yes, very pretty but dangerous :o The rhizomes spread like a coltsfoot's!

Plenty of mecons here (no mekons though)! "Wet regions"?  Have to bargain with the gods then. I have planted it on the driest place I have ;)

Well, I didn't used the right word but it's surely more rainy than here. I like the Eomecon very much; grew it in a container in my former small patio garden and lost it after a record cold winter (along with many others). I understand other people are growing it 'containerized' on purpose, to avoid having it running through the garden.

A couple of late evening pictures: Papaver alpinum after watering and Primula alpicola var. violacea starting to flower.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Tristan_He

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
My Phyteuma nigrum is flowering too. Such a pretty plant, but short in flower. It does seed around but is never a nuisance.

Geranium palmatum seems to be early this year.

Aquilegia bertolonii
, another plant that self-seeds gently around. I only have this and A. vulgaris in the garden to minimise the risk of hybrids.

Enkianthus campanulatus is very popular with the bees.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »
Here are couple of pictures from last week.
I don't have many big Rhododendrons (but perhaps 100 seedlings too young yet to flower, these are mostly from Finnish hybridizers).
'Pekka' is my biggest Rhodo, it is a Finnish cultivar (R.brachycarpum ssp tigerstedtii x R.smirnovii Seidel hybrid), and very hardy.
I planted it about 8 years ago and it is now about 1,8m high.

In the third picture there is Allium rosenorum, planted last autumn. I'm not very familiar with alliums, but I fell in love with this. It had quite slender leaves earlier in the spring and I like the flower now.
Leena from south of Finland

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
I have not been as cautious as Tristan so I have Aquilegias of all colours except yellow ;D

i spotted this one among the others. The colour is not special but the flowers face upwards. (And the slugs like it, usually they don't.)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 06:40:47 AM »
I noticed only now that I posted last night in May thread, please Maggi can you move my pictures to June. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Tristan_He

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
I have not been as cautious as Tristan so I have Aquilegias of all colours except yellow ;D

My mother is a fan of Aquilegias and over the years planted various different plants, which have crossed and self-seeded. Now she has a strain of small-flowered, muddy-coloured plants. Hence my caution. Perhaps I am overdoing things but I prefer to keep things clean.

Out of interest has anybody found that Semiaquilegia and Aquilegia cross readily?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
I noticed only now that I posted last night in May thread, please Maggi can you move my pictures to June. :)
Done, Leena! 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 09:11:07 PM »
I got this plant without a name a couple of years ago. Anybody recognize it?

Hoy

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »
The first roses have started blooming. This is Rosa roxburghi normalis. The shrub is more than 3m high and wide so I show only one flower ;)

537867-0

This red Potentilla appeared suddenly as a "weed".

537869-1

Drymocallis (syn Potentilla) rupestris. It is a rare native but easily grown on dry sites.

537871-2

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 01:43:44 AM »
A few photographs from our Sacramento, California garden - yesterday 4, June. It was overcast and muggy all day. It was still in the mid-30's C , however it could have been much worse.

Elymus multisetus.

Big  Squirreltail is one of many California native perennial grasses. So far this species has been very satisfactory as an ornamental in our garden. I especially enjoy the inflorescence as it progresses to maturity. This transpires over several months. The species is xeric, however preforms well with some irrigation too. This is one of many native perennial bunch grasses that we are trialing.

Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum

This plant was grown from seed gathered in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This seedling stood-out from among many other seedlings. It is still in bloom after two months of continuous bloom.

One of a number of West Coast Lily Hybrids.

Some were L. pardalinum x occidentlae F1 hybrids. Others were L. pardalinum x parvum var. hollidayi F1, and L. pardalinum x kelloggii F1. Many have not persisted in the garden, however the remaining plants have been very strong growers and have provided an extended bloom period. Lilium pardalinum, as expected, is very dominant in the F1 generation.

A couple of pots of Eriogonum marifolium (foreground) and E. incanum (rear). Both were grown from seed gathered in the Sierra Nevada. Both species are unisexual, the female plants producing the best flowers. The two species also intergrade (hybridize) in the wild as well as in the garden without controlled pollination. I find the hybrids to be interesting and worth growing.

Eriophyllum lanatum var. achilleoides

A California native perennial. Very xeric, and well worth cultivation in the xeric garden. This plant has been in bloom for 6-8 weeks now and even the 35 C, plus or minor, is not bringing its bloom cycle to an end. There is a tremendous variety within the species even locally. Improved selections seem very worth while and is something that I am pursuing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:47:45 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 02:05:22 AM »

Hemizonia cogesta ssp lutescens

A California native annual. I do not have many plants this year, however they look great this season. Last year the flowers were half the size. Last year's seedlings may have been hybrids with ssp. luzulifolia which has much smaller flowers (they are also white). I am growing both ssp. this year without any cross pollination protection.  :'(  Maybe it is not too late for me to do something to maintain purity if I gather the later seed, but then maybe I have some leftover seed in the refrigerator and will have more time to do control cross pollination next year.  :)

Corydalis sempervirens

These are growing in pots of various Erythronium species and hybrids. The progression is perfect they germinated and grew as the Erythroniums died back. I hope to repeat this combination in the open garden next year. The Corydalis will look good until after they bloom (about 1 July), then I will have to come up with other species to replace the Corydalis in the open garden scheme.  Something for me to experiment with now.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
Deutzia calycosa -A form obtained from Glendoick (?wild Cox collection).
If truth be told I am a numpty gardener. Years ago I planted this stunning shrub in entirely the wrong position for it to flourish and be appreciated. Despite this and as a protest it puts on a beautiful display every year.
Can Deutzia be easily propagated from cuttings?

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
Patersonia fragilis, from Tasmania. 
A kind gift from Lesley C, growing here for a couple of years but not yet thriving.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal