We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 24037 times)

Carolyn

Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
Deutzia calycosa
Can Deutzia be easily propagated from cuttings?

Yes, I think I have done it with semi-ripe wood in mid summer. I certainly brought rooted cuttings when we moved house.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 06:13:30 PM »
I got this plant without a name a couple of years ago. Anybody recognize it?

Hoy

I think this is Veronica pyrolaeformis - certainly very similar to plants I have seen under that name.

Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »
-A form obtained from Glendoick (?wild Cox collection).

Thank you so much Steve, we saw this at Glendoick a fortnight ago and I was stumped as to what it was.  Now to find one!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »
Really good to see these bright and cheerful plants as we had -4C this morning, a heavy frost for us but the day will be lovely when the sun comes above the horizon. There's not a cloud in the sky, hence the frost of course. We do our best for you in the north when our warm times come back. :D

The deutzia is a beauty. Don't really like the ones I've seen but this is something special. And I very much like the Veronica pyrolaeformis, something quite different for me. Thanks for the introduction Hoy and Jon.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:38:49 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
I asked Mr Google about the Veronica and he said only to look at the 2014 AGS Show at Wimborne, your own photos Jon. It is listed there as V. pyroliformis. I thought, yes, that's it but now not so sure as Hoy's leaves are quite deeply toothed, the Lever plant, not. Hard to tell from the flowers. Whatever, both are really nice plants.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 11:32:34 PM »
Delighted to see your Patersonia Ashley. You and Michael are both doing better with these Tasmanians than I am. No flowers on mine yet and I lost the Blandfordia altogether.

The east coast of Australia including Tasmania is suffering badly from weather events at present with homes washed into the sea and a number of people lost or drowned in flooding. We've had bad spots here from time to time but I feel so fortunate never to have had to cope with such appalling happenings in my life.

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 11:41:16 PM »
Hi Lesley
I wrote the notes in 2014.  It was exhibited (and was being sold by Aberconwy) as Veronica pyroliformis, but I have discovered subsequently that there is more support for Veronica pyrolaeformis, though neither seem to appear in the Kew Plantlist.  The description in the AGS Encyclopaedia seems to cover both plants, and there is certainly some variation in the plants I have seen, though I don't have photos of one with leaves as notched as Hoy's.  Here are two photos of a plant growing in a raised bed at Blackthorn Nursery, which is rather different from the form shown at Wimborne.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »
Thanks Jon, for these two extra pictures, both better I think than the show plant which perhaps could be a little drawn, judging from these? Yes, pyrolaeformis should be correct since Pyrola has a feminine ending, like cortusaefolius in the Ranunculus of that name. I shouldn't be bothered since we don't have it here and won't be allowed it anyway but I felt it was lovely and wanted to know more.

astragalus

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 03:45:57 AM »
Whatever the name is, it's a really nice plant.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 03:51:28 AM »
Deutzia calycosa -A form obtained from Glendoick (?wild Cox collection).
If truth be told I am a numpty gardener. Years ago I planted this stunning shrub in entirely the wrong position for it to flourish and be appreciated. Despite this and as a protest it puts on a beautiful display every year.
Can Deutzia be easily propagated from cuttings?

Very beautiful Deutzia!
Most of them are easy from what we call here softwood cuttings; made somewhere in June with a quick dip in IBA; good rooting in about a month.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 07:00:43 AM »

Hoy

I think this is Veronica pyrolaeformis - certainly very similar to plants I have seen under that name.

Thanks Jon for the identification!

And thanks to Lesley also ;)

Think I will use the name Veronica pyrolaeformis until anybody says otherwise. Difficult to find information though.

It is the first time it flowers here, and I am not disappointed! I nearly lost it last year - all the new shoots were eaten by slugs so I am happy it survived.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Ken was in Ontario for the weekend and came home with this bizarre little creature.  My hosta mania abated years ago but must say this one could be an interesting addition to the garden since Puyas aren't hardy.....Hosta 'Curly Fries'.  Likely the yellow colouring will be better in sun here.

johnw - 12c & fog horn blaring away.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:29:19 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »

Think I will use the name Veronica pyrolaeformis until anybody says otherwise. Difficult to find information though.
It is the first time it flowers here, and I am not disappointed! I nearly lost it last year - all the new shoots were eaten by slugs so I am happy it survived.

It is not me saying otherwise Trond, but The Plant list and all the others - Veronica piroliformis Franch.
I also like it so I started to look around. Maybe you can keep the slugs away and it will make few seeds  ;)
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/tro-29207880
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200021347
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »
It is not me saying otherwise Trond, but The Plant list and all the others - Veronica piroliformis Franch.
I also like it so I started to look around. Maybe you can keep the slugs away and it will make few seeds  ;)
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/tro-29207880
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200021347

Thanks Gabriela. I accept that it is not you but everybody else that spell the name piroliformis ;)! I didn't find it when searching because I wrote pyrol... in stead of pirol...

I will try to save the plant and the seeds from slugs :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
Delighted to see your Patersonia Ashley. You and Michael are both doing better with these Tasmanians than I am. No flowers on mine yet and I lost the Blandfordia altogether.
Thanks Lesley.  The Blandfordia is slowly but surely coming along in the garden but won't flower this year.  Unfortunately I lost the Coprosma moorei though :'(
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal