We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 24055 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »
I looked fast over the key and A. concinnum is supposed to have two leaves/stem so is out. But to properly go over the key, you would need to dissect the flower; not worth doing it.
Why is it cannot be an A. ciliatum?

The name is not that important - I don' want to dissect the flower ;)

According to Pacific bulb Society's site ciliatum has cilia, mine has not (or I haven't seen any).

http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/ArisaemaSpeciesOne

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »
An email from Jens Birck in May and somehow I didn't realize there was an attachment until yesterday.  It included a picture of his "little" clump of Narcissus cyclamineus. Where does he grow this lusty "little" clump you may well ask, in his peat bed, where else?  I have never seen a stand quite like this one.  Mouth fully agape.  :o :o :o

johnw

I am satisfied when I get 3 flowers at once ;D

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2016, 09:49:35 PM »
Trond,

it could be Arisaema concinnum, which has 7-11 leaflets when mature (less for seedings) or a related species.  Many have not been described.  It looks to be a member of section Sinarisaema.  The spath barely reveals the spadix, which should be slightly bent foreward at the tip for A. concinnum and the bulb is stoloniferous.  Also, A. ciliatum var liubanense lacks the hairs on the spath mouth margins.  The spadix is well exert and typically touches the spath hood.

Hope it helps.  Arisaema is not easy to identify precisely.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Tristan_He

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
An email from Jens Birck in May and somehow I didn't realize there was an attachment until yesterday.  It included a picture of his "little" clump of Narcissus cyclamineus. Where does he grow this lusty "little" clump you may well ask, in his peat bed, where else?  I have never seen a stand quite like this one.  Mouth fully agape.  :o :o :o

johnw

If you are ever in this part of the world (North Wales) you should visit Bodnant Garden John. They have much bigger clumps!

https://bodnantgarden.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/narcissus-cyclamineus.jpg

Aberconwy Nursery also have a fine stand, though it's not on display to the public.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:01:38 PM by Tristan_He »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2016, 12:36:43 AM »
Ah yes Tristan but does the Bodnant stand have as many flower stems per square centimetre? I've never seen it before with such a "host." Even Wordsworth would be impressed. I saw a cartoon once of an American couple visiting the Lake District in England and on viewing a small clump of daffodils at the base of a tree, was saying "Call that a host?" ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2016, 02:19:23 AM »
As usual Lesley hits the nail on the head.  I'ver seen modest drifts of cyclamineus in the Pacific Northwest and large ones in the UK (was there not a period in the 70's or 80's when many vanished?) but the number of flower heads in such a small stand at Jens' is absolutely remarkable; up to his usual wizardry.

john - +12c, cloudy & a long bout of rain coming.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2016, 02:50:10 AM »
The name is not that important - I don' want to dissect the flower ;)

Of course not!!! I won't repeat what Regelian just said about A. ciliatum var. liubaense. When mine will flower I will post detail pictures.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
Trond,

it could be Arisaema concinnum, which has 7-11 leaflets when mature (less for seedings) or a related species.  Many have not been described.  It looks to be a member of section Sinarisaema.  The spath barely reveals the spadix, which should be slightly bent foreward at the tip for A. concinnum and the bulb is stoloniferous.  Also, A. ciliatum var liubanense lacks the hairs on the spath mouth margins.  The spadix is well exert and typically touches the spath hood.

Hope it helps.  Arisaema is not easy to identify precisely.

Thanks Jamie

It looks very similar to some pictures of concinnum on the net. And moreover it seems to be stoloniferous!

Of course not!!! I won't repeat what Regelian just said about A. ciliatum var. liubaense. When mine will flower I will post detail pictures.

The spadix of my plant is almost hidden.

I can't remember whether my plant was from seed or bought as a corm. I think it is from seed though.

Regelian

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2016, 01:57:11 PM »
The first Dierama of the season.  From Rachel Saunder's team (Silver Hill in SA) a hybrid.

I just love these plants.

And a waterlily, Gonnere.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
Summer without opium poppy is unheard of in my garden.  Fortunately, they are never thugs.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Very nice, Jamie. Here Buddleja alternifolia is a splendid floriferous arching shrub at this time of year.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
This Rhodohypoxis E.A. Bowles managed 2 thirds at the Southport and Bakewell shows.  Having nothing else to do till the football came on again (HAHAHA joke) I deadheaded it this morning. I took off 724 flowers.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »
724 flowers is rather a lot! How big is the pot?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
Lilium Akkusianum.  Success at last.  I obtained seeds some 6/7 years ago from Henry and Margaret Taylor. Germination took a year and I had about 6 seedlings. A couple of bad winters took their toll until I had only one left.  This I planted out as I thought it would be more protected in the soil than in a pot.  To my delight , it decided to flower, as the picture shows.  The scent is delicious.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »
Well done Tom, it looks very pretty.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal