We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 24050 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2016, 06:47:53 PM »
Last night at a friend's we saw this which we presume is a Meconopsis "Lingholm' seedling, a good deep colour.  The Meconopsis are loving this cool damp weather and are lasting ages.  In the same garden the relatively new & highly desirable Enkianthus campanulatus 'Showy Lanterns' as well as a pink Paeonia suffruticoa v. spontanea. Would someone kindly remind me of the new name for that one?

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »
Boring to most but to have a Paulownia tomentosa that flowers in the interior of Nova Scotia is quite a coup.   Here is one in Kentville showing the progress made to date.  Maddeningly difficult to photopragh against a blue or grey sky.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tristan_He

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »
Love the Enkianthus John, I'll look out for that one. E. campanulatus does well here but mine are a kind of muddy brown. The bees still love them though.

Beautiful Meconopsis. The flower is a very deep blue, but then this is quite variable in Mecs according to conditions. I wonder if it is 'Lingholm' - if it is you should get some seed.

Carolyn

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »
The plant was only found in 1993 and described in 1998 in the AGS Bulletin 66  no. 3  page 378 -388
- I have a copy of the article but it is too large to post here - I will email it to anyone interested.

This link to an AGS Ireland  newsletter has a brief mention from Margaret and Henry Taylor.

Thank you, Maggi, most interesting articles.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2016, 02:54:56 AM »
Boring to most but to have a Paulownia tomentosa that flowers in the interior of Nova Scotia is quite a coup.   Here is one in Kentville showing the progress made to date.  Maddeningly difficult to photopragh against a blue or grey sky.
john

This is a VICTORY!  :)
I also like the Enkianthus.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2016, 03:50:46 AM »
It sometimes happens that I accidentally tap the wrong key (more likely the edge of the next key) while writing a reply and the whole lot vanishes altogether and I can't find it, either by the back button at the top left of the screen or the minimize button at the top right. It has happened yet again and I'm trying to remember what I had typed into the Reply box.

Firstly, Tom, your yellow iris is pseudacorus, not forrestii. You'll find it enjoys a very damp or even boggy place but is just as good in a border-type position and not so vigorous.

Secondly, Maggi, thank you for the link to the Ulster Group's Newsletter, a wonderful publication for a local group. I enjoyed it all but especially the article by Kay McDowell about the Czech Conference. It took me right back there. I don't remember Kay though I do remember two Irish women arriving towards the end of the Conference. What a lot has slipped my memory. Someone from the Czech Republic this morning reminded me that I'd met her at the Conference but I couldn't remember that either. But her Facebook photo was very small. Maybe if it had been a little larger.....
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »
Yes, I thought it looked like a "Flag Iris" which grow profusely in our boggy coastal areas BUT I hoped I was wrong.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Roma

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »
Some general pictures of part of the front garden.
Mainly blue Aquilegias with a few Allium 'Purple Sensation' or seedlings and Verbascum phoeniceum.  The pink one is a hybrid of phoeniceum and a yellow one.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »
The best time for Physoplexis  :)
K.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

astragalus

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Stunning! You seem to have improved on Mother Nature. I've never seen it this good in the wild.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
A seedling finally blooming, Arisaema consanguineum.  Distinguished by the very long spath attenuation, typical of the species, along with the leaf attenuations.  As a comparison a shot of Arisaema ciliatum var. liubaense, which may deserve species status.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
Stunning! You seem to have improved on Mother Nature. I've never seen it this good in the wild.
Anne, the lower plant is 23 years old  :) and every year it has about 50 clumps of flowers.
K.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

astragalus

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
Anne, the lower plant is 23 years old  :) and every year it has about 50 clumps of flowers.
K.
Amazing to have such a difficult plant (at least for me) that long.  That seems to be tufa in your picture.  Is it planted in the tufa itself? Is it ever fertlized in any way that it keeps flowering so magnificently?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2016, 06:26:33 PM »
I can't  find a section named "Seed Heads Now" but thus will do. A  Clematis seed head with a few leaves.

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2016, 06:40:21 PM »
Rodgersia, Olearia (macrodonta?), two Aquilgeia and Azara serrata. All at Pitmuies Garden. A lovely place and a mere £5 to get in.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal