We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hemerocallis-2016  (Read 4060 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Hemerocallis-2016
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »
As many of you know, my longest interest in plant breeding lies with Hemerocallis, followed by non-bearded Iris.  Here are some of the first to bloom this season.

First is one I have introed, Angel Tower.  Very tall, 180cm with lots of lemony pink-blushed blossoms.  This is a pre-spike, blooming early and not as tall as the main flush, which is in July.
A new seedling with great substance and prescence.  Galaxy Rose x sdl
One of a group of very good seedlings from this cross, Ojo de Dios x Chokecherry Mountain.  Both parents are from a departed friend, Ned Roberts, who pioneered the spider and unusual form daylilies in the USA.
On Silken Thread (Lambertson) is a Florida-bread unusal form (UFo).
Another seedling from an unregistered from me (SilverSurfer, which I have since discarded) and another seedling line.  I will probobly discard this one, as well, due to the washed colour.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

Re: Hemerocallis-2016
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
And another seedling I may register.  Excellent substance, deals with our rain, is huge (20cm) and re-blooms.
(A Bodacious Pattern x Wild Wookie)xSeedling

A note on the Hemerocallis fotos: as Hemerocallis blossoms are so much more reflective than other garden flowers (they have a crystalline structure under the first cell layer), the colours and contrast are difficult to capture.  I therefore reduce the brightness on the shots, as well as adjust the colour, which often registers too blue.  On my computer the colours and impression are very accurate.  Maybe I'm splitting hair, but, just so you know.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
very nice- post more pictures of the seedlings
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Regelian

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
Graeme,
Glad you're enjoying them. I have new ones almost every day from now 'til end July.  Here are a couple from this morning.

First are two seedlings from the same cross: (Limited Edition x Skinwalker) X All American Windmill
The second cross has quite a few sibs coming: (Forever Island xString Bikini) X Twilight Sea.  Twilight Sea I registered a couple of years ago and is from Bali Watercolor X Swallow Tail Kite. I've added a shot for reference.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »
With the rain, good fots were not happening.  Here is one from this morning.  A new seedling from a cross I made some years ago.  I really like this one!
Odds and Ends x Twilight Sea

And a two from fellow hybridizers
Spring Sensation
Blonde On The Inside
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
A few more seedlings.  The first to a from the same pod.
Swallow Tail Kite x Pegasus Galaxy

The third is another from the cross Forever Island x String Bikini X Twilight Sea
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
Despite the rain, a few somewhat dark seedlings.  When the weather cool then warm runs, purple Hemerocallis produce more intense colours.  It has to do with the anthocyanin production, but, if this is simply the temperature fluctuations or the slower bud developement, I cannot accertain.

First is a diploid from a long cross I did of Ojo de Dios X Chokecherry Mountain.  All dark and very handsome.  This one is 25cm across!
The next three are all from Swallow Tail Kite (Curt Hanson).

STKxSDL shows more of the mother.  Other parent was most likely Twilight Sea
STKxUNK is a bi-tone.  Father was from my String Bikini crosses, but i don't know which.
Still an absolute fav in the garden.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:48:44 AM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »
Here are three seedlings from Temple of the Muses.  The curling effect was a bit unexpected.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
And a few miscellenious bit from my programm.

The first is from Blues Avenue (Mort Morss), which was a breakthrough in blue eye-zones.
The second is a diploid from Heavenly Flight of Angels (Gossard).  Big blossom, but the scape is a bit weak.  If two or three are open, it will be in the dirt!
A similar diplois, but in yellow.  Cerulean Star x SDL Xsdl.
This tet is from my first crosses a few generations later.
The last is very dynamic and it will be interesting to see how the plant developes.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »
Well, this first one is certainly wierd for current tastes in Hemerocallis.  It doesn't seem to know if it wants in or out.  I think I'll name it 'Brexit'.
Another of my spideries, this time quite pastel.  Not fab, but may be a good parent.
Photon Torpedo is a favourite in the garden, but it produces relatively few new looks.  I just like this one and is rain-fast.
I've been experimenting with 'other' oranges and kind of like this one.
Temple of the Muses has given some cool off-spring, but this is a killer flower.  Other parent is Twilight Sea.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
Here are two more seedlings from Curt Hanson's 'Photon Torpedo'.  It is interesting that almost all introductions fro PT are from the original authour, Curt himself.

Photon Torpedo x tet Holly Dancer, has the best from both parents.
Photon Torpedo x SDL (from Kirchoff's Power Lipstick)
another Swallow Tail Kite seedling, this time a bi-tone.  Very delicate colouring.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

ThomasHe

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
here are some of my Hemerocallis
- this is midnight

ThomasHe

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »
fooled me

ThomasHe

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
american revolution

Regelian

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
Thomas,

Fooled Me is a great daylily!

Here are a few more seedlings that opened during the last week.  With the hail we had, good blossoms (non-punctured!) were rare.

The first two are sisters from Dark Crystal x Lola Branham.  Quite pleased with this cross!

The third is Dark Crystal, one of my kids from 2012.
number 4 is a Lola Branham line seedling.  As LB is not pod fertile, I can only use her pollen. This seedling is 2 generations away from LB, but the influence is strong.
Here are three seedlings from the same cross, Zuni Thunderbird x (Victoran Ribbons x Prague Spring).  Interesting with purple breeding, you often get near-whites and pale lemons. By some genetic quirk (OK, this is homozygous recessive for both pigment paths) one has turned off the anthocyanin genes, as well as most of the carotene genes.  There are no pure whites in Hemerocallis.

Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal