We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: White Plastic Plant labels  (Read 12106 times)

SJW

Re: White Plastic Plant labels
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
A reminder that the labels  formerly sold for SRGC by Glassford Sprunt are  available  here :

It's the £12.00 p&p that's the killer, Maggi...unless you're buying bulk quantities to make it worthwhile.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
I buy good quality labels via eBay from suppliers in China/Hong Kong for < £2/100 & post/packaging < £1.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
I buy good quality labels via eBay from suppliers in China/Hong Kong for < £2/100 & post/packaging < £1.
c

Ashley, are these of the thin, flexible plastic or the firm, inflexible kind, and what length are they please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2017, 10:24:03 PM »
Maggi, did no one take on Glasford's label role please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »
Ashley, are these of the thin, flexible plastic or the firm, inflexible kind, and what length are they please?

I've had various types David, and was happy with all of them.  The latest batch are flexible, 10 cm x 1.9 cm, with a nice surface either for pencil or adhesive printed labels.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
Maggi, did no one take on Glasford's label role please?
Theoretically, yes - but the person is not always at the shows as Glassford was and, I believe, is not keen to post - on account of the high cost.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
It's the £12.00 p&p that's the killer, Maggi...unless you're buying bulk quantities to make it worthwhile.
Yes, that is  a nasty shock, I agree.

Similar labels are available on Ebay for between  £2.56 and £3,87- post free from Hong Kong.....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:31:40 PM by Maggi Young »

Dionysia

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
Over the last couple of years I've purchased three lots of the Chinese labels, two from e-Bay and one from Amazon. Whilst all have been flexible, only one pack was white. One was pale grey and the other a mixture of pale grey and pale lilac. Some surfaces were OK but others were either very shiny and impossible to write on with a pencil or in the case of the white ones quite rough so that pencil writing fuzzed out. All worked OK with fine pens and were OK for sale plants at shows or seed pot labels but I wouldn't use them for plants in the greenhouse benches. I try and recycle the Scottish ones for those.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
Interesting feedback, Paul - seems the ones from Glassford's supplier may well be worth the effort and cost.

Carolyn

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
Our local group in SW Scotland made a bulk purchase of the white labels from Anglo-Scottish and we sell them to members for £3 for 100, making a small profit for club funds. Even if you don't live near a SRGC group, you could always share a purchase with a few friends, reducing the cost of P & P per person. They are certainly good labels - i have recycled lots of mine many times and they still do not snap - AND you can write on them in pencil.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

ian mcdonald

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
I re-use old labels by cleaning them with wire wool. I find this also gives them a better surface for writing on. I have a good supply from pots of seed which don,t germinate.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
Our local group in SW Scotland made a bulk purchase of the white labels from Anglo-Scottish and we sell them to members for £3 for 100, making a small profit for club funds. Even if you don't live near a SRGC group, you could always share a purchase with a few friends, reducing the cost of P & P per person. They are certainly good labels - i have recycled lots of mine many times and they still do not snap - AND you can write on them in pencil.
Interested to know how many you bought in order to make a 'small profit' at £3 for 100. To buy 4000 labels will cost £119.04, which I think works out at £2.97 per 100. That really would be a small profit!
Update on the Chinese labels, one batch were OK but shiny so difficult to write on with pencil, the other batch were similarly shiny, but with a linen texture one one side which was impossible to write on (no good if you use both sides as I do).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:44:39 PM by annew »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Carolyn

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
Anne,
We bought them several years ago! I think the profit was about 50p per hundred. We will obviously need to increase our price when we order again.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »
 :-\ Presume that someone in the Glasgow area could buy them by collection without  the hefty postage fee.....

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 03:06:58 AM »
....To buy 4000 labels will cost £119.04, which I think works out at £2.97 per 100......
I was thinking that that works out pretty cheap as I got quoted AU$ 41.88 for 1000 (from a local manufacturer https://www.gardencityplastics.com/hardware-accessories/accessories/plant-labels.html) plus AU$14.35 P&P but with the conversion rate for AU$ to GB£ makes it about the same. I might have to order 2000 as it's amazing how quickly I went through the last box! :o
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal