We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 18883 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: July in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
Clematis x durandii - I need to go into my brother's garden to see the best of the flowers.  This is it from my side.
Cardiocrinum giganteum

Not a bad sight from your side either!

I have given up Cardiocrinium. It is always completely eaten by slugs and snails :(
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »
Trond,

Resting and trying to recover has given me a little time to catch up on some of the other threads.

I enjoy your photographs from Norway immensely! What a beautiful land in so many ways!

Now I will go rest some more.

Hope you recover quickly although you get less time on the internet!

Hoy

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
Beautiful seaside landscapes Trond! I went leisurely through all the pictures tonight :) I often see the same lichen here on certain rocks, maybe it is associated with the granitic rock type (?).
Eryngium maritimum is a gem of a plant (my seeds didn't germinate unfortunately).

There is often a band of orange lichen associated with the sea shore (the zone just above the 'beach proper'). I don't think its terribly sensitive to rock type.

I love E. maritimum too but it's not easy to please. I think it needs a deep sandy soil and dislikes competition.

Although maybe the orange lichens is insensitive to rock type they seem to prefer some places - I think it is where birds usually place their droppings ;)

I have not had luck with seeds either :(

When I was a kid my father sometimes had to remove dry specimens of the Eryngium. Now it is very rare and I have never seen seed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:34:00 AM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »
We went for another boat trip Thursday. We got one shower but the rest of the day was fine. Farther inland they had rain and thunderstorms all the day!

One of the showier beach plants is Limonium vulgare, Sea Lavender. Strangely it is rare though although it grows very well at this site. It seems to prefer to be submerged by high tide.

543006-0

543008-1

Another plant from the same kind of habitat is Trifolium fragiferum, Strawberry clover. It is similar to white clover but slightly smaller. The heads mature differently though!

543010-2

543012-3

This plant, Kali turgidum (Salsola kali), prickly saltwort, prefer sandy shores manured with rotting seaweed. Some years it is all over the beach, some years it is almost absent.

543014-4

Hoy

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:06 AM »
Viola tricolor usually flowers early in the summer but the drought and then the rain has created a second "spring". It is very abundant on the islets here.

543016-0

543018-1

Also Vicia cracca grows at similar sites on the islets. Although "boring weed" they light up the landscape and blue flowered species are rare.

543020-2

This is really a weed in the garden but here among the rocks where it belongs it is nice. Sticky ragwort (Senecio viscosus).

543022-3

543024-4

Hoy

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
A little sweetie - Sagina nodosa (knotted pearlwort). Common on rather moist ground at the shore.

543026-0

543028-1

Pilosella peleteriana on the contrary grows on rather dry sites. The showy flowers had closed for the day :-\

543030-2

A late flowering (or early!) Cochlearia officinalis (common scurvygrass) among the rocks at the shore.

543032-3

Found this 30m from my summer house. Had not noticed it before :o

Monotropa hypopitys

543034-4

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
I think part of growing big martagons is growing them in full (or almost full) sun.  They are often thought of as shade plants, but that's only because they tolerate shade well.  Some of the other martagon section lilies, like L. distichum, do want more more shade, at least in my experience.

Always appreciate the wild pics, Trond.  Sagina nodosa is on the endangered list here in Minnesota.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »
Hope you recover quickly although you get less time on the internet!

Hi Trond,

Thank you for sharing the latest set of photographs!  :)

I have to admit that I am spending most of my time sleeping. Not a bad idea for me right now, as I am usually very active.

Sometimes I wake up long enough to look at the internet to enjoy the photographs.

We have a few Vicia species that are native to California. Here, some of the invasive, non native species can be quite attractive at times  :-X

I very much like the Pilosella peletiana! The foliage is great, nice flowers must add to it even more. I even enjoyed the Violas. Despite the on and off heat they are even blooming in our garden - and still looking good.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 03:36:19 AM »
We went for another boat trip Thursday. We got one shower but the rest of the day was fine. Farther inland they had rain and thunderstorms all the day!

One of the showier beach plants is Limonium vulgare, Sea Lavender. Strangely it is rare though although it grows very well at this site. It seems to prefer to be submerged by high tide.

Interesting to see Limonium growing so close to the water Trond - beautiful plant, like all the others :) What trees are close by where Monotropa grows?
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 08:31:33 AM »

. . . .
Always appreciate the wild pics, Trond.  Sagina nodosa is on the endangered list here in Minnesota.

Thanks Rick :) Sagina nodosa is common along the shores of the islands here but I have not seen it elsewhere. It is fortunately not endangered though.

Hoy

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2016, 08:35:26 AM »
Hi Trond,

Thank you for sharing the latest set of photographs!  :)

I have to admit that I am spending most of my time sleeping. Not a bad idea for me right now, as I am usually very active.

Sometimes I wake up long enough to look at the internet to enjoy the photographs.

We have a few Vicia species that are native to California. Here, some of the invasive, non native species can be quite attractive at times  :-X

I very much like the Pilosella peletiana! The foliage is great, nice flowers must add to it even more. I even enjoyed the Violas. Despite the on and off heat they are even blooming in our garden - and still looking good.

You are welcome, Robert. It is vice versa ;)

Pilosella is an attractive plant. It is a few similar species in the genus and I like them all.

Hoy

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2016, 08:41:34 AM »
Interesting to see Limonium growing so close to the water Trond - beautiful plant, like all the others :) What trees are close by where Monotropa grows?

It is 2 species Limonium here. This one is the showiest. Both grow close to the water, while L. vulgare seems to prefer muddy soil L. humile seems to prefer crevices in the rocks.

The trees where the Monotropa grows are pine (Pinus sylvestris) and oak (Quercus petraea). Juniper shrubs (Juniperus communis) and "blueberry" (Vaccinium myrtillus) grow there.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »
Delphinium nudicaule

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
I found these particularly attractive.  A seedling in the garden, presumed A. davidii x A pectinatum ssp forrestii.  It has a weeping habit, lime green bark, especially in Winter, yellower in Summer.

Giles, love the D. nudicale.  Never had luck with them.  I'm jealous. ;D
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

meanie

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
Alstroemeria isabella has an interesting habit. When exposed to periods of bright sunlight or warmth the colour bleaches..............

By the following morning the colour has returned...........

Commelina coelestis "Alba".............

Lantana camara survived an overnight low of -5°c when a pane of glass shattered in the greenhouse over the winter. It has survived and is back in bloom...............

Salvia oxyphora (again as it is a favourite of mine).............

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal