We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus March 2008  (Read 60407 times)

johanneshoeller

Re: Crocus March 2008
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Thank you Lesley, yes it is sieberi.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:11:42 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
During the last few days I have studied extensively the three Crocuses, i.e:
Barr’s Purple, Whitewell Purple and Ruby Giant.
I made many pictures of them and studied the colours with a simple Colourchart:
J.H. Wanscher; Farbbestimmung von Blumen leicht gemacht.

Luit,
thank you for scruting the color details. I have no doubt your pictures show "Ruby Giant".
The obvious two different commercial forms of "Whitewell Purple" are still my remaining concern. >:(
I don't see a solution... :(
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »
Mark,
your C. heuffelianus made me think of my C. etruscus last year.
Here are two pix of the same little group of C. etruscus

1) 2007 looking a bit "awkward"
2) 2008 looking "normal"

The pictures were taken with different cameras which explains the colour difference.

Hello Luc,
my C.etruscus "Zwanenburg" looked year to date like your 2) 2008 looking "normal", having many little streaks (no virus, leaves normal)
Surprisingly to me all my C. etruscus "Zwanenburg" look this year like attached. They grow on the same place and have been not lifted.
I find this an very interesting feature of this clone...
Does anyone else made this kind of discovery?

Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »
Let the sun more shine on my crocus :)
My lawn today.
Best wishes
Armin

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »
At the recent crocus day at RHS Wisley there was a suggestion that the trade C etruscus carries a virus.  This does not seriously weaken the plants but shows itself in the variable streaks that we have noticed in our plants.  .....Of course what we cannot be sure of is what this virus will do to other crocuses that may not have the same resistance or strong constitution. :(

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2008, 12:42:58 AM »
  .....Of course what we cannot be sure of is what this virus will do to other crocuses that may not have the same resistance or strong constitution. :(

Besides, it looks terrible. >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »
Armin, your Crocus lawn is beginning to rival Thomas' lawn.  :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2008, 06:37:40 AM »
Great pics everyone!!

Mark, I have yet to see a pic of 'Carpathian Wonder' that I don't like.  Hopefully Marcus H. will import this one day, if he hasn't already.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »
What a great lawn, Armin - but please don't forget the path through the plants  ;D

Luit, many thanks for your extensive studies to clarify that tommi-mystery. Seems like I was wrong  :'( Please forgive me  :-\
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
Great lawn Armin !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
Paul, Marcus Harvey did import  'Carpathian Wonder' some years ago from Janis R., I've had it for a couple of years , but no encrease so far ., but should it oblige , I'll remember you.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »
Otto,

You're far too kind.  So is it as nice in person as it is in the pics?  I'd figured that MH would have or would be going to import it at some stage as it is so distinctive, although there are a couple of distinctive ones Janis has released now in the heuffelianus.

Hopefully it'll be like 'Hubert Edelsten'.... sits there for a couple of years doing not a lot other than increasing a bit in size, then it starts to increase a bit.  Lyn's did that here in Canberra and she gave me a tiny offset years ago when she only had a couple of corms...... mine has grown for 3 years, getting bigger each year, and now has a tiny offset with it.  Hers, since they got to offsetting stage, have grown well and she has a good clump of them.  Maybe it is just a matter of waiting long enough (which is almost always the way isn't it!  ::))  We gardeners are generally an impatient lot, although I can't be too bad or I wouldn't be growing stuff from seed.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
I suppose all this is one very compelling argument for all registered names to be complete with an official colour description using the (horribly expensive) RHS colour chart ? ??? :-\

I just picked one of many quotes regarding discussion about RHS Colour Chart.

Maybe have a look at the Azalea Society of America or is it possible to make a link from SRGC to this Society.

http://www.azaleas.org/azcolorhelp.html#ucl
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
This just flowered from exchange seed collected in Slovenia, so would like comment on whether it is correctly named. The first pic of the outside was taken early in the day when overcast and so looks bluer than the open flower taken late afternoon in sun,which has a redder tinge.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »
John, Crocus vernus ssp vernus is generally correct, but the beautiful colored tips point for ssp heuffelianus
which was a variant of ssp vernus before Brian Mathew has taken it to ssp-status in 2001.

The following photos were all taken today, from different angles, in difficult light conditions due to fast
moving clouds in the sky - hope you will enjoy the show:
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal