We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus March 2008  (Read 60400 times)

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
Re: Crocus March 2008
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2008, 05:21:28 AM »
Spring in Armenia came rather late comparing to that of Europe. I have still nothing in bloom in the garden, but under cold glass there are some crocuses already blooming.

I am testing some variations of native crocus biflorus ssp. adamii in pot culture. I hoticed that it doesn't like excessive moiture during winter and some corms rotted. Anyway, most plants bloomed and I'd like to share with photos. Unfortunately rare pure white form of crocus adamii doensn't bloom this year, but I hope to find it this year in nature and hope that there'll the opportunity to show it.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2008, 05:24:44 AM »
And few other crocuses

crocus heuffelianus 'National Park'
crocus vernus 'Picwick' ( I selected just few virus mosaic-free samples among the hundreds that I obtain every thear)
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2008, 06:17:51 AM »
Dirk,

Nice heuff!!  But then again, is there a heuff that isn't nice!!??  ??? ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
Probably the last crocus-photos from my garden this spring  :'(

- Crocus antalyensis, olivieri ssp istanbulensis and candidus
- overview of my garden and the adjacent park with the Junker-Hansen-Tower
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
   Thomas you are trying to make me envy!.  My C. o. istanbulensis did not flower this year but they look quite fine. And my all flowers are already over. But I don't mind.
I enjoy with foliage  ;D

I.S.

« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
  Zhirair!! Here is my test results!
There are also other differents form which I have seen.
And my white one also did not flowered :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:42:35 AM by ibrahim »

I.S.

« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »
  Dirk! You have so many anviable crocuses....

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
Ibrahim,

Thanks for your nice crocus adamii pics. It was really interesting to see your samples and comepare them with mine. Actually I have seen here all forms of cr. adamii besides that bold striped form. There are many different colour forms growing in our place and I am going to make some selections from nature (most prominant and bright forms), test and introduce them in culture under different names, and then when have them enough propageted share with my collegues. I thinks it's a good idea.

By the way, our neighbour grows some crocus adamii in their garden and they are very robust, much larger than in nature and very multiflowering (about 7-8 flowers from one bulb)

Regards, Zhirair
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a UK supplier for C. sieberi 'Hubert Edelsten' please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:45 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a UK supplier for C. sieberi 'Hubert Edelsten' please?
David, Roseholme Nursery (access via RHS Plantfinder) lists it though it's not clear whether they offer it every year. They don't have a website.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
David, if you can't find it in the northern hemsphere, I can send you a couple but you would have to acclimatize them (turn their seasons upside down). Let me know. It would have to be almost immediately as they're beginning to root now, may already have done so. Surely it can be found somewhere nearer home.

I've just been out to have a look and it's too late. They're well rooted already. So if you've not located some by next Jan, I'll send some then.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2008, 09:51:45 PM »
David, Roseholme Nursery (access via RHS Plantfinder) lists it though it's not clear whether they offer it every year. They don't have a website.

Gerry, Thanks for that-have I got the spelling wrong because I had done a search for it in RHS Plantfinder and nothing showed up?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »
David, if you can't find it in the northern hemsphere, I can send you a couple but you would have to acclimatize them (turn their seasons upside down). Let me know. It would have to be almost immediately as they're beginning to root now, may already have done so. Surely it can be found somewhere nearer home.

I've just been out to have a look and it's too late. They're well rooted already. So if you've not located some by next Jan, I'll send some then.

Lesley, thanks, but they must be available in the UK somewhere.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

afw

« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »
David

The printed version of the RHS Plantfinder 2007/2008 lists C. Hubert Edelsten from Roseholme. Bressingham and Jaques Amand.

Alan
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »
From past experiences I feel many nurseries/suppliers list more in Plant Finder than they stock
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal