We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2008  (Read 35625 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus March 2008
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2008, 10:43:50 PM »
Brian, I am sure you are correct... your report will be a relief to many fevered brows  :)

I am delighted to hear that there may be a reasonable explanation as well as a hope for recovery, and that the "good" growers will retain their reputations 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
I hope he's right, Brian. But of course it can be hard to tell whether a snowdrop under stress (as in recently chipped and bare-rooted for mail order sale) is showing non-virus symptoms of stress or is a snowdrop which carries a virus load which produces symptoms under stress but no symptoms (or much reduced) when well grown and well fed. I do think that some (certainly some older) cultivars do carry virus which they can live with and which only shows under stress. Actually, you can probably say that about a lot of different plants (lilies being a good example). The advice to be cautious just in case is always the best advice.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »
Trym is just out with me and Baxendale's Late is still closely wrapped in its leaves an inch above the ground.

This seems a sad end to the snowdrop season. There are very few snowdrops still in flower in my garden. There are very few photographs of snowdrops being posted on the forum and we are left to discuss disease and death. Oh, too sad.

I suppose I can console  myself that there are still some snowdrops to arrive in the post and I am off to collect a nice clump on Saturday - an Irish cultivar that I wish to build up in numbers.

Paddy
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
It is amazing the differences in flowering seasons between us when there is really not a great distance between both locations. At this time in my garden 'Trym' is beginning to fade and look a little tatty. It has been in flower for several weeks.

One forum member, from Canada if my memory serves me correctly, mentioned that he had two gardens with quite a disparity in flowering season. He could enjoy the same plants in his warmer garden and then travel to his other to appreciate it again. Perhaps I should take a plot in Edinburgh! Or maybe I should do it the other way round and take a plot in Spain near Rafa and count southern Ireland as my cold garden, altogether more comfortable I think.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
Paddy, here are some nice places in east germany too. We need good english teachers. (I`m the best example). Now you could admire the most ofthe bohemian cultivares.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2008, 04:14:10 PM »
had two gardens with quite a disparity in flowering season. He could enjoy the same plants in his warmer garden and then travel to his other to appreciate it again.
Paddy

Paddy - That was probably me. The disparity is more with rhodos etc. and not so great with Galanthus. The first snowdrops near the house here in colder Halifax were showing colour two weeks ago and opened this past weekend. On Sunday night the temperature dropped to -9c and the flowers and stems collapsed and were completely limp all day yesterday. Today they are up and perky.  It's amazing how much cold they can endure when in flower. I remember one very early spring when they got hit by -15c or so with no snow cover and rebounded.

Usually the G.s bloom here in late March and continue till mid May.

I plan to go stalking the drifts in the southern end of the province in the next few weeks. So don't give up on the possibility of more postings!

johnw    - +4c
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:16:38 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:57 PM »
I plan to go stalking the drifts in the southern end of the province in the next few weeks. So don't give up on the possibility of more postings!

excellent news John - photos please  :D

regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
John,

You are the lucky fellow with your two gardens. Tell me, do you grow a different selection of plants in each garden?

Hagan,

Is this a job offer? I think I prefer to stay in warm and moist Ireland.

Paddy

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2008, 08:01:07 AM »
Paddy, sometimes I think about leaving my area too. Dreaming from a green island. But we cannot meet us altogether in Ireland. No new snowdrop-cultivares would come to you from the continent. ;)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »
Here's 'Blewbury Tart' and 'Trym' yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:33:01 PM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »
Anthony,

I think I may have caught that "White Fever" associated illness called, "Stagno Fever" because as soon as I enlarged your photographs I immediately looked closely at the foliage to see if there were any signs of streaking or other defect. What a terrible mind-set I am in danger of falling into!

The plants are beautiful. The photographs of 'Blewberry Tart' are particularly excellent reminding me of an exercise I was asked to complete recently for a camera club of which I am a member - "a composition showing shallow depth of field." You have perfectly sharp focus on the flower with the background blurred, just as our eyes would view them I think.

'Trym' is doing very well for you.

Paddy

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »
Lovely clump of Trym Anthony, I don't think mine is going to flower this year - only put in last year, so I don't mind if it is hunkering down before being splendid next year!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »
JohnI think I prefer to stay in warm and moist Ireland.

Paddy

Paddy - A wise decision, we had 5" of unexpected white fluffy stuff last night.

The southern garden is mainly rhododendrons and magnolias. The city garden here is small and rhodos quickly outgrow the space so I am moving most south along with countless ones started from seed (1000+). Amazing how fast you can fill 8+ acres. Once I get some spare time I will start to create some peat beds and screes for bulbs and specialty plants. It's a 3.5 hour drive one way so life is hectic from March till December!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
I have been moving some snowdrops and finding lots of bugs like this one amongst the bulbs.  Some of the bulbs look a bit damaged, although nothing too bad.  Does anyone know what this is?  The grid pattern is about 15mm square so the creepy crawly must be about 20mm long.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
But on a more positive note, I pass this clump of snowdrops on my walk through the village where I live.  This photo was taken on Friday 14th (two days ago) and although it is starting to go over, it must be the last single snowdrop still in flower hereabouts.  It is quite distinctive, squat but with large flowers. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal