We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2008  (Read 35576 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus March 2008
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
It looks like it could be virus, John. Difficult to say for sure but to be safe I'd plant away from other snowdrops. I reckon a lot of snowdrops (especially plicatus cultivars) have virus but live with it.

I'd write to the supplier and tell him it looks like it could have virus. If he gets enough people saying their Trymlet leaves look virusy then he may write to say destroy them and offer a refund. But plant it somewhere safe (I always put my new arrivals in pots of gritty compost, keep out of strong sun, and liquid feed, to give best chances of recovery after the postal ordeal) and maybe liquid feeding will improve the look of the leaves.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:48:18 AM by Maggi Young »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »
Still nothing for me which in a way is good and bad. Good for the bank and bad for the collection

Probably still in the post, Mark.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »
you beat me to it. I have just taken some photos of a virused snowdrop that was sent to me. The virus is obvious also. Dont worry lurkers it didnt come from any of you.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »
Mmmm, sadly I have to say "mine too John" for the Trymlet.  I think Martin's advice is sensible. :(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »
Here is my virused snowdrop.

The second photo shows that although my Augustus ex Ebay showed no virus earlier this year it is now certainly affected

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »
I'm gutted about the Trymlet - ordered it last year and it was sold out - ordered it again this year and it will now have to be banished to my Mum's garden as my garden isn't big enough to take the risk!  Well that was a waste of this years spending money!    :'( :( >:(

A couple more leaf shots (one with back light as find this is usualy the easiest way to spot virus)

48961-0

48963-1

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
Here is my virused snowdrop.

The second photo shows that although my Augustus ex Ebay showed no virus earlier this year it is now certainly affected

The virus in a snowdrop does tend to show up more later in the season, the virus becoming more active as the temperature rises.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
If you get your money back, John, you can still use Trymlet as a seed parent and raise some interesting offspring of your own.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
Please call me paranoid

please!.....  ???

Have just looked over my new plants again - please tell me the 'Anne of Geierstein' isn't virused too!

48965-0

48967-1

John    :( :( :'(
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 01:27:49 PM »
no paranoia

My box is here and Florence Baker is virused

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 01:28:44 PM »
Just been informed that my North Green order has arrived. I don't know if I am lucky or not but Trymlet has been supplied as to has Anne of Geierstein. Unfortunately all this talk of virus has taken the wind out of my sails. Looks like I'll have to find somewhere remote to plant these. Not a great day.

David
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
Dear Paranoid
 I recall a conversation I had with Richard Hobbs, when I said that I would like Trym he immediately said that they are all virused as too are Augustus and Clare Blakeway-Phillips.  I should think there is a high probability that Trymlet would have a susceptibility to getting virused with Trym as a parent.  Like you I was so pleased that I had got it in the order at long last - particularly as it had two flower heads, and then gutted at the state of it.
Unfortunately your A of G does look as though it has the same problem.  It seems a bit much to spend £60 on a couple of bulbs to find that they are not up to scratch through no fault of your own. :'( :'(

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »
My bank account wont be happy because I got everything I asked for

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 01:38:27 PM »
My bank account wont be happy because I got everything I asked for

I believe there is an old chinese saying  ::) "Beware what you set your heart on for you shall surely have it."

I too had all I asked for from North Green and the Snowdrop Company so happy in one respect...but in previous years not having all I ordered meant not quite so much was spent :-[

I have been banned from further purchases (and I still have a couple of orders to arrive yet - oops :-X ).

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
As I said earlier, I think a lot of older cultivars (especially plicatus ones) have some virus but can live with it (the symptoms showing less if the plants are growing strongly and well-fed  - with something coontaining a full range of minerals and micro-nutrients like Phostrogen). The symptoms tend to develop when the bulbs are stressed (e.g. poor growing conditions, not enough water an d/or plant food) and when temperatures rise later in the season. A grower could look at his or her stock in early January and think it's all okay. But by lifting time in March, it could be a different story.

I've noticed Florence Baker tends to be virusy. I think it's an old plicatus selection showing its age, like Augustus. Anne of G. is a very old cultivar and likely to carry some virus load.

Maybe we all need to have a "virus corner" well away from healthier stock for such snowdrops, if we can't all bear to chuck them out. If you give them good compost and feed well the they can grow and flower okay. The risk is of course the possibility of cross-infection.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal